Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 06:56 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Never heard of MOOC. will check them out. Free is good. I like free.
In case you haven't searched for it yet, MOOC stands for Massive Open Online Courses, and there are many different sites that offer both free and paid courses. You can catch some of them as they start, but many are archived that you can still take, you just wont be able to take part in some of the activities. I took a couple courses where the students had to grade each other's work, which I didn't appreciate to be honest so doing archived classes isn't so bad. You just wont be able to communicate with the instructor or as many of the other students.

While many of the courses are free they try to bait you into paying for a certificate which I've never done.

The few courses I've taken I've usually learned one or two things I was glad to learn about but for the most part I felt like I wasted my time.

Took one course on the media which I enjoyed. Another was on elderly care. My mother is now 81 and the course gave me insight into activities she might enjoy at her age. One of the sites had courses on five different religions that were kind of grouped together even though each religion had its own course devoted to it. The only one I ended up watching was on the Jewish faith which was interesting, and taught me what the Talmud is. Although I think it was a simplified explanation because the explanation given when doing a simple Google search is more complicated than what the rabbi teaching the class stated. Interesting nevertheless.

A couple MOOC websites I either used or checked out. (There are many others.):

edx.org
coursera.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 08:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just got the brochure today, and I’m feel like a kid in a candy store. So many interesting courses to take, for $25. each.

I was not much of a student in my youth, but now I am interested in learning more about things.

Here is my question... if you were taking some courses, would you take the ones in subjects that you are passionate about, like gardening and art for me, OR would you take something you have been inept in, in hopes of gaining some mastery of it? Like math.
I've purchased a half doze or so Great Courses over the past 12 years or so.

My general impression is that they're high quality, interesting, and well presented.

The subjects I was really interested in seemed to be too short, while the ones I was trying to brush up on seemed too long. But the fact is, almost all of them are 24 lessons/presentations.

Just my experience.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
There are a ton of open college courses you can take online

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
https://oli.cmu.edu/students/
https://online.stanford.edu/free-courses
https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog/free
https://www.edx.org/
https://www.coursera.org/browse

Old 07-25-2020, 03:52 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I'd probably do a little of both at first, and then go wherever my heart takes me.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
We enjoyed them, back before streaming was all that common. We got the ones on sale we were interested in like Philosophy, Religion, Impressionist artists and so on. Space travel .

I really like them, but wouldn't get any more these days with all the free content.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:18 AM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
If you have an audible subscription you can use your credits on Great Courses. When you order one it comes with pdf versions of the supplemental materials.

You can also sign up for "Great Courses Plus" and get access to most (but not all) of their library for, iirc, $20 or $25 a month.

They are generally high quality but some are out of date. E.g.: a number of their history course were recorded in the 00s or even late 90s and you can tell they're dated now, not reflecting the newest research.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:23 AM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Now, are the courses on intersectionality and white hegemony and systemic racism as costly as the ones on Classical Greece or the Enlightenment?
They interestingly don't have any classes on sociology, which is where I'd expect classes on race, etc.. to be.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:02 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,134 times
Again, please check out Hoopla, a free streaming service available through your public library system. Many Great Courses programs can be accessed there. For FREE. You don’t need to purchase them or sign up for Great Courses Plus, although you may wish to do so in the future to have unlimited access.

I really enjoy the Great Courses, and I’ve watched or listened to many of them through my local library. My favorites were probably the European history courses and the California Culinary Institute courses. My kids found the advanced math and science courses helpful as they were preparing for college.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 07-29-2020 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-30-2020, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 228 times
You should try on youtube, there are many course at FREE.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhenry78 View Post
You should try on youtube, there are many course at FREE.
The OP is specifically interested in the Great Courses, which can be accessed through the public library system. Yes, there’s plenty of good stuff on YouTube, but she isn’t going to find the Great Courses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education