U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 05:44 AM

19,353 posts, read 17,511,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I do agree that where there is community spread (nearly everywhere in the USA) opening schools will spread the virus like wildfire. The best solution isn't just throwing schools open. The best solution is putting in the effort to stop the virus with the goal of reopening schools as soon as possible.

But that is as big a fantasy, in the USA, as every child staying home all year.
And people forget that it's not just the kids who are at risk.

‘I can’t teach when I’m dead.’ Professors fear COVID-19 as college campuses open:
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...rs-coronavirus
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 06:02 AM

1,153 posts, read 159,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And people forget that it's not just the kids who are at risk.

‘I can’t teach when I’m dead.’ Professors fear COVID-19 as college campuses open:
[url]https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...rs-coronavirus[/url]
While there is every reason to be concerned about the health of both students and teachers, I also worry about parents. God forbid a middle schooler brings the infection home and a parent becomes gravely ill! A school bus drove by my house yesterday, the driver no doubt learning his route, and I felt a wave of nausea over what‘s next. I am so hopeful that our decision to open schools doesn’t come back to bite us. Our superintendent is in the news touting his metric-based approach, and all I could think was that he must have balls of steel. My youngest just graduated and applied for a university housing deferral, so he can remain at home and take remote courses. My eldest also chose to stay home from college this semester. I’m ever so grateful. I can’t imagine what parents and teachers are going through right now.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:00 AM

20,748 posts, read 8,077,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Conclusion

Schools are an important part of the infrastructure of our communities, as they provide safe, supportive learning environments for students, employ teachers and other staff, and enable parents, guardians, and caregivers to work. Schools also provide critical services that help meet the needs of children and families, especially those who are disadvantaged, through supporting the development of social and emotional skills, creating a safe environment for learning, identifying and addressing neglect and abuse, fulfilling nutritional needs, and facilitating physical activity. School closure disrupts the delivery of in-person instruction and critical services to children and families, which has negative individual and societal ramifications. The best available evidence from countries that have opened schools indicates that COVID-19 poses low risks to school-aged children, at least in areas with low community transmission, and suggests that children are unlikely to be major drivers of the spread of the virus. Reopening schools creates opportunity to invest in the education, well-being, and future of one of America’s greatest assets—our children—while taking every precaution to protect students, teachers, staff and all their families.

How about the risk of COVID-19 to those these children come in contact with after a school day or people exposed through family members? Mom & Dad? Mom & Dad's coworkers? Grandma & Grandpa? Aunt's & Uncles? Schools should stay online until c-19 stops. Why should I be exposed so that children can experience some B.S. "educational experience"? Wake up; "school" is just taxpayer funded babysitting.
I feel that certain school districts have good education and agree with the first paragraph there. As far as the second paragraph, even where the schools are "just taxpayer funded babysitting" schools at least create an opportunity to detect abuse. As I've said often I'm a "reopener."

Old 08-20-2020, 09:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,924,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

Kids have a higher viral load.

It can spread like wildfire in schools and the children will give it to family members.
bad news (not surprising)
'Silent spreaders' of COVID-19: Kids who seem healthy may be more contagious than sick adults, study says
https://news.yahoo.com/silent-spread...040107743.html
"We know from other respiratory diseases, (children) are known to be vectors in the community," she said. However, she added this study is unique because it went a step further to quantify viral load.

Study authors challenged the current hypothesis that children are less likely to get sick from COVID-19 because they had fewer virus receptors than adults. The receptor, angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), binds to the coronavirus and enables it to infect healthy cells.

While they found younger children did have fewer receptors, they still carried high levels of virus. This led researchers to think children are more contagious, calling them "silent spreaders" of COVID-19, regardless of their susceptibility to developing infection.
Proceed at your own risk.

Life is fragile, Handle with care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or