U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 05:48 PM

7,859 posts, read 11,582,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The best available evidence from countries that have opened schools indicates that COVID-19 poses low risks to school-aged children, at least in areas with low community transmission, and suggests that children are unlikely to be major drivers of the spread of the virus.
Not good enough, for two reasons:

1) major means minor, if children are even at minor risk of infection, that's too high, simply unacceptable. Why not delay in-class instruction for a few months instead of risking permanent death or disability because of preventable transmission of an illness that we have very, very little experience with?

2) there is no comparing areas of the US with currently high rates of community transmission with countries that have opened schools because in the US, especially in areas with currently high rates of community transmission, there is a much higher per capita number of disgustingly reckless, irresponsible, selfish people who do not, for whatever reason, follow simple rules to protect and help themselves and their fellow human beings. That has already been amply proven by reality on the ground.

As a result, there is no experience-based expectation that people in schools, both children and adults, will follow any of the safety guidelines for more than 15 seconds, 30 seconds tops. There is no reality-based reason to have confidence in any of the adults responsible for supervising children who are supposed to follow these impossible-to-follow guidelines.

Moreover, even if by miracle they actually do follow such safety guidelines, there is a real risk that the transmission is airborne, so all the guidelines may prove to be futile anyway.

We need way more experience in how to successfully manage this virus before risking the life of one child or teacher, who are even more vulnerable.

This political pressure to force in-class instruction when it is clearly not safe is totally disgusting. GFYS.

In any case, many school districts in densely populated areas currently experiencing high rates of transmission have already, very sensibly, cancelled in-class instruction for at least the first quarter, providing for remote learning instead, and others who have not yet decided have already come up with option plans, including some combination of in-class instruction, remote instruction, and some hybrid system.

Good luck whatever district you live in and whatever you decide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 07:58 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,171,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Need to look at counties and cities within states as the numbers can be drastically different. It's pretty much, but not exclusively, a problem in dense cities where people are poorer and use public transportation.

As for the schools opening the teacher's unions will be fighting it across the country. They are state workers and they like the kush work from home lifestyle.

That could change if sales tax receipts in states that fund schools with that sort of revenue begin to or have already declined. In South Carolina we've already seen teacher salaries frozen for the 2020-21 school year (at least as of June). State Legislature said that could change depending on the state economy going forward.

The other issue impacting "kush work from home" is will districts really need X amount of teachers / full-time non-classroom staff as this thing progresses??? This "situation" will most likely upend the industry known as traditional brick and mortar public education. Maybe not immediately but it will be interesting to see if parents who chose virtual education for their child in 2020-21 rush back to in person schooling in 2021-22. My school has an enrollment of 1,800 students. 400 of our students as of Friday signed up for the district's semester long (possibly year long) virtual edu program. Will they return to F2F in 2021-22 if everything is fine or stick with virtual edu for the remainder of high school? Will be interesting to see.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:39 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,477,286 times
A logical argument, based on 6 points, for opening U.S. elementary-level grades, but not high schools
https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp-a-different approach to opening-schools/#more-60579

A London "Financial Times" article, published in late July, claiming there are no known cases in the world, of teachers ever catching COV-19 from pupils
(Scroll Up, after clicking on link)
https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp-n...comment-160950

Old 07-26-2020, 01:41 AM

7,859 posts, read 11,582,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
A logical argument, based on 6 points, for opening U.S. elementary-level grades, but not high schools
https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp-a-different approach to opening-schools/#more-60579
In that list of six points, only number three is a "logical argument" (whatever that means), the rest are questionable at best.

Moreover, we simply do not know what the rate of infection, serious illness and death will be in the circumstance of a small enclosed poorly ventilated space with 15, 20, 30 people, who will not be able to follow impossible-to-follow safety "guidelines", for six hours a day across 180 days over the next 1-9 months.

We simply have ZERO experience with that on a massive scale with this virus, we simply do not know the outcome, and a few scattered cherry-picked data points over just a few months from around the globe, whose social setting is much different from the United States and its many regions, comprise too scanty a database to make any credible forward-looking guesses on which basis to play a deadly roulette game with children's and teachers' lives.

Even that crook politician leading the so-called WHO was quoted yesterday as saying that people should treat everywhere they go, every encounter, as a life-and-death decision.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:48 AM

8,140 posts, read 19,992,551 times
I'm sorry, but the CDC has lost all credibility for so many different reasons:

They’ve been wrong about the models. They’ve been wrong about the lockdowns. They’ve been wrong about the distance the particles travel in the air. They’ve been wrong about the transmission of the virus from asymptomatic individuals. They’ve been wrong about the spread of the virus on surfaces. They’ve been wrong about the infection fatality rate. They’ve been wrong about the dangers of the virus to children and young adults. They’ve been wrong about the use of face masks. They’ve been wrong in their abilities to protect individuals in long-term care facilities. They’ve been wrong in the way they’ve counted COVID-19 deaths. They’ve been wrong in how they’ve classified COVID-19 cases.

So, excuse me if I don't react to what they say.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,924,389 times
CDC has also been wrong in their test kits, and thus the USA is still far behind nations who are able to resume classes. We don't even know where to trace, because our tests are too few and take way too long to process for results (and way too inaccurate). Remember, S Korea and USA discovered their first cases the same day. Time has not cured Covid in USA, nor will it.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:50 PM

142 posts, read 35,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
School safe? Not really... Shootings, bullying, those who need extra help being ignored... Safer to be home

Old 07-26-2020, 05:16 PM

142 posts, read 35,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I'm sorry, but the CDC has lost all credibility for so many different reasons:

They’ve been wrong about the models. They’ve been wrong about the lockdowns. They’ve been wrong about the distance the particles travel in the air. They’ve been wrong about the transmission of the virus from asymptomatic individuals. They’ve been wrong about the spread of the virus on surfaces. They’ve been wrong about the infection fatality rate. They’ve been wrong about the dangers of the virus to children and young adults. They’ve been wrong about the use of face masks. They’ve been wrong in their abilities to protect individuals in long-term care facilities. They’ve been wrong in the way they’ve counted COVID-19 deaths. They’ve been wrong in how they’ve classified COVID-19 cases.

So, excuse me if I don't react to what they say.
It's further than 6 ft right

Old 07-26-2020, 05:52 PM

32,760 posts, read 18,115,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71 View Post
I feel bad for the kids that go to school to escape domestic violence at home. What do these kids do now? Also, many kids have trouble learning in non-traditional (online) environments, so these kids will suffer and most likely need to play catch up once physical school starts up again. I'm told that day care centers will be open to accomodate the parents of younger children. I'm sorry, isn't being in a day care center just as risky as being in a traditional, open school?
The CCSD has failed us (and the children) yet once again.
I wish we could safely open for the students I work with. I am a paraprofessional in a behavior program. All of the students I worked with the past two years all have experienced some form of trauma, many have several traumatic experiences at a very young age. Many are in poverty. Some are missing a parent or more. Some parents are separated. Some are victims or were a victim of domestic violence. I want to be there for these students. They need structure. They need to have a normal education. The problem is it is not safe in Maricopa County to really reopen the schools to allow for it.

I know. I worked for six and a half weeks during the time when Arizona cases especially in Maricopa County became a hotspot. I worked in a summer day camp run by our district. One site had a positive case and shutdown the household with the positive case. A week and a half ago, we found out we had a positive case of indirect exposure. I walked away amicably with my supervisor because of it. She gave us the option to work or not work. Then this time last week I noticed a cough, it got worse Monday and I sought a test. I luckily had one of the ASU spit tests with 48 hour turnaround time. I found I was negative but it was Hell waiting it.

The CDC is not doing things right. Since Trump and DeVos made their motives known about extorting schools to keep them reopening in-person in a few weeks to a month, the CDC has turned into a lapdog. The CDC should be apolitical, period. Education should be apolitical too. This virus and the handling are turning it political. It is downright disgusting.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:11 PM

7,593 posts, read 3,409,405 times
Ha; the CDC. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them with MY child. The schools can open all they want but I am waiting a minimum of 3 weeks to see if related outbreaks occur. If they aren't closed again & if rates are down then I will reconsider.

Hopefully he will be able to attend in time for federal count day but that won't be the priority driving my decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or