U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 08:14 AM

4,590 posts, read 4,158,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Because the decisions of 10000+ boards of part time volunteers with ZERO Medical or Technical knowledge are going to magically guess the right answer(s)?

US = Unbelievably Stupid.

Amazing the Virus has not already taken US flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Yes, it is unbelievable how people trust these local school boards over the CDC.

Many of these school board members run for election on a single issue like who should be the head football coach or which book should be banned from the school.
You guys can't be seriously dismissing local elections that cavalierly.

School board members live in the community and they send their own kids and grandkids to public school.

The CDC issues national guidelines. It's up to local people to decide if their situation fits what the CDC is saying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 08:34 AM

6,326 posts, read 7,203,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You guys can't be seriously dismissing local elections that cavalierly.

School board members live in the community and they send their own kids and grandkids to public school.

The CDC issues national guidelines. It's up to local people to decide if their situation fits what the CDC is saying.
Many of the school districts in my area have trouble getting candidates to run for school boards. Candidates often cross file and however wins the primary, often unopposed, is the new school board member. Some of the people who like having some power stay on the school board for twenty years or more. We have had board members who wan t to micromanage the details of construction projects and ones who think they are experts on curriculum and textbook selection.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:45 AM

35,855 posts, read 46,001,455 times
Quote:
Many of the school districts in my area have trouble getting candidates to run for school boards. Candidates often cross file and however wins the primary, often unopposed, is the new school board member. Some of the people who like having some power stay on the school board for twenty years or more. We have had board members who wan t to micromanage the details of construction projects and ones who think they are experts on curriculum and textbook selection.
Most of the people up there who run for school board have an agenda.

One guy who I went to high school with (he dropped out) ran as soon as he was old enough with the campaign slogan "It's Time For Payback". He was in office until he died a few years ago.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:54 AM

4,590 posts, read 4,158,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most of the people up there who run for school board have an agenda.

One guy who I went to high school with (he dropped out) ran as soon as he was old enough with the campaign slogan "It's Time For Payback". He was in office until he died a few years ago.
Fine, but these anecdotes about lousy school board candidates are not a reason to keep schools closed when the CDC is recommending that they be opened.

To me, it's simply a matter of: If you have a hot spot, close the schools to help flatten the curve. If you have relatively few cases in your area, open the schools and continue the normal precautions you take when you shop and work at WalMart or the post office.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:11 AM

3,355 posts, read 3,294,819 times
These stories make me glad we have an appointed school board. Not to say that there are no personal agendas or vendettas, but all of our board members seem to have the students' interests front and center.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:16 AM

35,855 posts, read 46,001,455 times
Quote:
Fine, but these anecdotes about lousy school board candidates are not a reason to keep schools closed when the CDC is recommending that they be opened.

To me, it's simply a matter of: If you have a hot spot, close the schools to help flatten the curve. If you have relatively few cases in your area, open the schools and continue the normal precautions you take when you shop and work at WalMart or the post office.
But it won't work that way. You're in Pennsylvania so you should know how things work there. Teachers are nothing but greed pigs feeding at the public teat and have to be in school. While on the other hand "the chirrun have to be safe". And then the third hand is "I have to get back to work and it's not my job to teach my kid".

Add to that the simple logistics of online school in a state that has large swaths without cell service let alone internet access.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:20 AM

6,326 posts, read 7,203,995 times
Quote:

I think the CDC was pressured to make that recommendation. You can't take politics out of the question whether it is the federal government or your local school board. I don't think all school board members are lousy. Most have good intentions. Depending on your state, they have to approve a lot of trivial details such as the hiring of a part-time cleaning person or cafeteria worker, or the school calendar. Some get caught up other details like athletic coaches when they should be focusing on bigger picture items.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:27 AM

32,760 posts, read 18,115,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But it won't work that way. You're in Pennsylvania so you should know how things work there. Teachers are nothing but greed pigs feeding at the public teat and have to be in school. While on the other hand "the chirrun have to be safe". And then the third hand is "I have to get back to work and it's not my job to teach my kid".

Add to that the simple logistics of online school in a state that has large swaths without cell service let alone internet access.
Sorry but if it isn't safe for the MLB to play baseball, it isn't safe to reopen the schools. Unlike other sport leagues which start in the next week or so, MLB is not using the bubble system. Already the Marlins has 12 players, 2 staff positive and were in contact with the Philadelphia Phillies in Philly. The Philly-Yankee game and the Orioles-Marlins game are canceled.

I understand the need to reopen but I refuse to dignify the belief school is childcare. I look more at the educational goals and security a predictable schedule brings. I recognize the kids i work with need structure that online school cannot bring. They need one-on-one interaction with staff that online school cannot bring. That said, is that worth them having a new teacher and new staff when they get severely sick? Is that worth them being put into the foster system because community spread through the school got to their parents and they died?

Old 07-27-2020, 11:32 AM

32,760 posts, read 18,115,462 times
Quote:
I think the CDC was pressured to make that recommendation. You can't take politics out of the question whether it is the federal government or your local school board. I don't think all school board members are lousy. Most have good intentions. Depending on your state, they have to approve a lot of trivial details such as the hiring of a part-time cleaning person or cafeteria worker, or the school calendar. Some get caught up other details like athletic coaches when they should be focusing on bigger picture items.
The problem I had with the CDC was they fell inline with the administration goals of reopening so that parents have to return to work. Granted I did say the original CDC guidelines weren't exactly workable, the issue is that they didn't put politics over safety. The biggest issue for schools would have been funding.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:18 PM

5,353 posts, read 10,240,533 times
The classroom / seating distances are no longer clear.

Was 6 feet. Described as 6 feet / 3 feet radius (same thing)

Which "slipped" to "6 to 3 feet."

Which means some schools are trying to do 3 feet distancing.

Looking hinky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or