U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2020, 12:25 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,855 posts, read 46,001,455 times
Reputation: 46578

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Sorry but if it isn't safe for the MLB to play baseball, it isn't safe to reopen the schools. Unlike other sport leagues which start in the next week or so, MLB is not using the bubble system. Already the Marlins has 12 players, 2 staff positive and were in contact with the Philadelphia Phillies in Philly. The Philly-Yankee game and the Orioles-Marlins game are canceled.

I understand the need to reopen but I refuse to dignify the belief school is childcare. I look more at the educational goals and security a predictable schedule brings. I recognize the kids i work with need structure that online school cannot bring. They need one-on-one interaction with staff that online school cannot bring. That said, is that worth them having a new teacher and new staff when they get severely sick? Is that worth them being put into the foster system because community spread through the school got to their parents and they died?
Don't be sorry.

But I do have to ask if you've ever had a job, a real job, outside of a school.

You have a college degree, 65% of people don't. You, historically, would be "management".

You can refuse to dignify the belief of school as child care all you want but that doesn't make it go away. If it wasn't child care you wouldn't have before and after school care or breakfast, lunch and, in some school systems, weekend meals programs.

The push will eventually come to open up the schools and the elected school boards will fall into line or they'll be replaced by candidates who will.

And all of us teachers (I'll include myself even though I'm retired) can talk until we're blue in the face about how parents are their kids' first teachers and it won't matter because of the number of parents who don't know their head from a hole in the ground. The next few years, once things get back to normal, are going to be playing catch up.

My former system, which is going online for students until January, has disseminated to the schools an updated grief counseling model for the inevitable loss of staff and students.

Have you taken any Principal classes? If not here's the new paradigm, meaning what has become au courant over the last twenty years: the Principal doesn't need to know the names of students, they're merely product. The Principal doesn't even need to know their staff's names when it comes right down to it, they're interchangeable cogs. It doesn't even matter what they teach if you can plug them into a hole in the schedule.

That's what the Broad and Gates Foundations are teaching Superintendents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2020, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
32,760 posts, read 18,115,462 times
Reputation: 11809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
The classroom / seating distances are no longer clear.

Was 6 feet. Described as 6 feet / 3 feet radius (same thing)

Which "slipped" to "6 to 3 feet."

Which means some schools are trying to do 3 feet distancing.

Looking hinky.
Yeah reopening especially under the vague CDC guidelines sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Especially on already razor thin school budgets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't be sorry.

But I do have to ask if you've ever had a job, a real job, outside of a school.

You have a college degree, 65% of people don't. You, historically, would be "management".

You can refuse to dignify the belief of school as child care all you want but that doesn't make it go away. If it wasn't child care you wouldn't have before and after school care or breakfast, lunch and, in some school systems, weekend meals programs.

The push will eventually come to open up the schools and the elected school boards will fall into line or they'll be replaced by candidates who will.

And all of us teachers (I'll include myself even though I'm retired) can talk until we're blue in the face about how parents are their kids' first teachers and it won't matter because of the number of parents who don't know their head from a hole in the ground. The next few years, once things get back to normal, are going to be playing catch up.

My former system, which is going online for students until January, has disseminated to the schools an updated grief counseling model for the inevitable loss of staff and students.

Have you taken any Principal classes? If not here's the new paradigm, meaning what has become au courant over the last twenty years: the Principal doesn't need to know the names of students, they're merely product. The Principal doesn't even need to know their staff's names when it comes right down to it, they're interchangeable cogs. It doesn't even matter what they teach if you can plug them into a hole in the schedule.

That's what the Broad and Gates Foundations are teaching Superintendents.
I hold three jobs. One is as an educator. I work with students who have behavior issues. Another is still as an educator as I do work summer camps and break camps in child care. I work as event security. I previously worked Cub Scout camps both as a den chief and as kitchen staff. I have also worked retail a few times. I have worked as a resident assistant in college too.

From my years in child care, I know that while parents treat school in particularly elementary school as childcare. That said, it isn't really. Camps are however. Camps are somewhat educational but more social though. School's purpose is more for education. Are there education components in camps, yes. Are there social interactions in school, yes. Largely though 5 and a half hours are about education depending on the special for the day. I'm not debating the parents treating it as childcare but it isn't a good argument.

I haven't taken principal classes. I know from the elementary principal I work with that she does know the students in our school. We are a smaller school though. I know other schools especially high schools in district are huge with up to 2,000 students. I can understand in larger schools not knowing the kids by name and interests. You don't always interact with every student, even in a small school.

As for student as product, that is a new age way to look at school. Basically that parents are the customer. I don't agree at all with that. I mean I try to use customer service at school but I don't treat school as that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Texas
38,779 posts, read 21,627,146 times
Reputation: 24697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The Importance of Reopening America’s Schools this Fall
The "importance" is to:

1) open the schools WHEN it's safe to do so

2) take all needed measures to assure all students, faculty and staff are protected

Listening to desperate politicians looking at the coming election has proven itself a BIG failure. There's absolutely no need to repeat that mistake.

Follow the advice of the scientists.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,540 posts, read 13,411,246 times
Reputation: 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think the CDC was pressured to make that recommendation. You can't take politics out of the question whether it is the federal government or your local school board. I don't think all school board members are lousy. Most have good intentions. Depending on your state, they have to approve a lot of trivial details such as the hiring of a part-time cleaning person or cafeteria worker, or the school calendar. Some get caught up other details like athletic coaches when they should be focusing on bigger picture items.
Our elected school board members have to deal with a $3 billion budget and 189,000 students. It is not a position I would have wanted even before Covid-19.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
6,326 posts, read 7,203,995 times
Reputation: 7681
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Our elected school board members have to deal with a $3 billion budget and 189,000 students. It is not a position I would have wanted even before Covid-19.
I hope your school board members don't have to deal with the trivial details that districts in PA have to handle. OTOH, some of the districts in my county have less than 900 students and a $22M budget. Maybe they do have time to deal with approving the hiring of a part-time cafeteria worker.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 09:52 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,924,389 times
Reputation: 29665
New math....
Distance = divide by 2

Funding = multiply by 2

Still listening for solutions for returning students and teachers to the classroom. Pretty quiet out there. (In USA). Quite interesting to see the creative solutions other countries are implementing.

Many re-opened in May, some in mid April. While in USA, the land of opportunity and innovation.....(?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
32,760 posts, read 18,115,462 times
Reputation: 11809
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
New math....
Distance = divide by 2

Funding = multiply by 2

Still listening for solutions for returning students and teachers to the classroom. Pretty quiet out there. (In USA). Quite interesting to see the creative solutions other countries are implementing.

Many re-opened in May, some in mid April. While in USA, the land of opportunity and innovation.....(?)
More and more school districts are keeping students home going into the end of their first quarter (October/November, depending on when they start the year.) My district announced this now after not hearing any plans from the governor and state secretary of education.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 10:44 PM
 
3,318 posts, read 1,468,909 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Ha; the CDC. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them with MY child. The schools can open all they want but I am waiting a minimum of 3 weeks to see if related outbreaks occur. If they aren't closed again & if rates are down then I will reconsider.

Hopefully he will be able to attend in time for federal count day but that won't be the priority driving my decision.
I agree. Don't trust the CDC. My understanding is the original CDC guidelines were modified (watered down) by the Trump administration to be less restrictive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 10:47 PM
 
3,318 posts, read 1,468,909 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Fine, but these anecdotes about lousy school board candidates are not a reason to keep schools closed when the CDC is recommending that they be opened.

To me, it's simply a matter of: If you have a hot spot, close the schools to help flatten the curve. If you have relatively few cases in your area, open the schools and continue the normal precautions you take when you shop and work at WalMart or the post office.
'Flattening the curve' and your risk of catching it and potentially ending up on a ventilator and dying are not the same thing. In some cases, the curve may be flattening, but your chances of catching it are higher than ever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
4,590 posts, read 4,158,122 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlarogers_tx View Post

Today, a Houston doctor gave a speech on the steps of the United States Supreme Court about Covid-19. The doctor says there is a cure for covid-19. I think it sounds great and I think it is true, but if it is not true, I would like to know that. https://legacy-systems.biz/longview2...ourt_covid.php
OK so they are promoting HCQ/Zithromax as a treatment, and it's all over the news this morning that Big Tech has deleted this video. But this thread is about opening schools, not You-Know-Who's favorite treatment and the need for the "Anti-Orange Media" to poo-poo it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top