U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 07:58 AM

32,760 posts, read 18,115,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OK so they are promoting HCQ/Zithromax as a treatment, and it's all over the news this morning that Big Tech has deleted this video. But this thread is about opening schools, not You-Know-Who's favorite treatment and the need for the "Anti-Orange Media" to poo-poo it.
Yeah the only reason politics is mentioned in this thread is due to the "Orange Man" making the CDC re-write guidelines to make schools reopen. I for one am glad my district made the call to push back in person options to mid October the earliest.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 AM

4,590 posts, read 4,158,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah the only reason politics is mentioned in this thread is due to the "Orange Man" making the CDC re-write guidelines to make schools reopen. I for one am glad my district made the call to push back in person options to mid October the earliest.
That's what I've been saying; local control. Your district is in a high-intensity area, so they pushed back opening. My area happens to have relatively few cases (at the moment) so they are not pushing back our opening as far as I know. CDC guidelines are just guidelines.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:46 AM

4,590 posts, read 4,158,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
'Flattening the curve' and your risk of catching it and potentially ending up on a ventilator and dying are not the same thing. In some cases, the curve may be flattening, but your chances of catching it are higher than ever.
No they're not. In my home country we've been running single digit or zero cases a day for over 2 months (maybe a couple of double digit days in that time). Back in April we had dozens of new cases every day. That means my chances are lower, using mathematics.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:53 AM

437 posts, read 252,902 times
Both of my nieces teach, both have a hereditary inflammatory disease. Neither are going back into the classroom this year. One teaches first grade which includes mainstreamed emotionally disturbed children. There is no procedure in place for how to deal with a child who is acting up and screaming. Every year there are at least one or two who have a lot of difficulties and usually the parents refuse to have them put into separate classes; there is a procedure for doing this, but it is long process and they procedures have not changed so far. The other teaches math in high school. She said that anyone who thinks a high school student isn't going to taunt another student or teacher by lifting the mask and coughing is delusional. And of course, what of the school busses?

The other issue is what about sick leave for teachers? They only have a limited number of days; school districts could give them more but have they?

Old 07-28-2020, 10:32 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,468,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No they're not. In my home country we've been running single digit or zero cases a day for over 2 months (maybe a couple of double digit days in that time). Back in April we had dozens of new cases every day. That means my chances are lower, using mathematics.
When the term 'flattening the curve' is used, it is typically in conjunction with hospital bed (ICU) and ventilation availability. While a number of states still have availability, an individual's chances of catching it are much greater than ever before, since there are more people with the virus, and especially more younger people, whom often are asymptomatic.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:37 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,468,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Both of my nieces teach, both have a hereditary inflammatory disease. Neither are going back into the classroom this year. One teaches first grade which includes mainstreamed emotionally disturbed children. There is no procedure in place for how to deal with a child who is acting up and screaming. Every year there are at least one or two who have a lot of difficulties and usually the parents refuse to have them put into separate classes; there is a procedure for doing this, but it is long process and they procedures have not changed so far. The other teaches math in high school. She said that anyone who thinks a high school student isn't going to taunt another student or teacher by lifting the mask and coughing is delusional. And of course, what of the school busses?

The other issue is what about sick leave for teachers? They only have a limited number of days; school districts could give them more but have they?
I can't imagine trying to get elementary age children to wear a face mask, wash their hands, stay 6 feet apart, etc. It is going to be a disaster. No one is talking about the potential psychological effects this is going to have on children.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:34 AM

7,859 posts, read 11,582,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I can't imagine trying to get elementary age children to wear a face mask, wash their hands, stay 6 feet apart, etc. It is going to be a disaster. No one is talking about the potential psychological effects this is going to have on children.
On top of that, even if by miracle they happen to follow all of the impossible-to-follow guidelines all of the time, the virus is airborne and in an enclosed small poorly ventilated space with 15-30 people for six hours a day over 180 days across nine months, there is a high risk that the "guidelines" will prove futile anyway.

By my measure, before one should even begin to think about classroom instruction in a given district, not only the transmission rate has to be below 1, but the absolute numbers of new daily cases has to be below 100 consistently every day for at least 30 days (none of this 10-15 day crap, we've seen that film before), in addition to all the other criteria, and we do not even have surveillance testing widely available.

In high case districts, classroom instruction is really a shot in the dark right now.

Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2020, 12:12 PM

437 posts, read 252,902 times
The dangers to children of staying at home are real. They range from abuse, to not having food, to not socializing. The problem is there are only a limited number of teachers even in the best of times. Then there is the problem of online learning. Many homes in poorer areas don't have the internet to use the laptops issued for free by the school district; the parents can go to a zone where they can use the internet, but that isn't viable day in and day out, month after month.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:40 PM

3,355 posts, read 3,294,819 times
Thanks for contributing these.

It all does lead to the question of whether or not teachers can be commanded into classrooms against their will, as many people seem to want. Will districts release at-risk teachers from their contracts whom they don't want to accommodate? Will teachers who refuse to go back into the classroom lose their licenses despite a teacher shortage? Or perhaps reason will win out and people will come to terms with the fact that in an unchecked pandemic, most everything about daily life has to change, often drastically.

Our district requires medical documentation for work-from-home accommodations to be granted. No sooner than they had sent the email, but they immediately rescinded a Friday deadline, saying rather that they needed numbers for planning. Accommodations will be made on a rolling basis. The school board and superintendent have indicated that they don't want to lose any certified teachers due to the pandemic. They seem to be listening to all stakeholders and are creating a way to have community-based pods in our low-income district, mostly sponsored by neighborhood churches. I am hopeful that our district will find the human and material resources that we need to continue our mission.

When the community, the parents, the school staff and administration and the students all come together and work toward a common goal, the odds are greater that the students will have a good outcome, no matter the way that they attend their classes. It would seem that a lot of communities are divided, and likely the students will be the ones whose interests suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or