U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 03:27 AM

764 posts, read 386,690 times

Advertisements

I guess this has been discussed to the point of boredom, but another one may not hurt...

So with the covid-19 outbreak, mandatory (at least in my country) lockdowns, lay offs and so on drama, it seems that online learning is now more popular than ever.

You only need basically a computer, a credit card and a decent internet connection. That's it. No matter you are based in America or the Solomon Islands, online platforms including but not only Coursera, edx, Udemy allow you to learn from an extensive catalogue of courses.

There are some courses so popular that have hundreds of thousands of students enroled, some of them by strong institutions such as Google Cloud, IBM, Hardvard. You can even take an online Master paying a fair amount of tuition fees.

So what do you think about those courses/Masters? Is there any relevant field you think worths pursuing or do you think most courses are just a piece of paper ideal to serve as a scrap paper for Hiring Managers they can use to take notes during a meeting?

PS. I was unsure if this would go into college section, but strictly is not necessarily related to college.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 11:03 AM

8,618 posts, read 7,797,891 times
Coursera is awesome! A guy in my team has been working through a bunch of the business stuff. A lot of the offerings are almost half of the full coursework that I do in my MBA program. He’s paying a few hundred bucks for it versus the $200K my program costs.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 424 times
Coursera and other online learning platforms are fine since they provide a centralized way of communicating a set of information to their audience. In terms of quality, they're essentially a copy and paste of old ineffective teaching methods from brick and mortar schools to the digital world, even if they're taught by highly qualified people; they don't fully utilize the inherent advantages of teaching in a digital platform.

So if you're strapped for cash, you can get the same set of information they provide through a simple google searching. There are also many websites where you can get the textbooks for free, if you search hard enough.

If you have some extra cash, then feel free. But from my experience, after graduating as a computer engineer and going through numerous rounds of interviews, although I'm not sure if the same scenario would apply to other professions, the companies care a lot more about what you can do, not about your piece of paper, and this can be easily shown by any work you publish online. There's a lot of websites that allow you to showcase your work, which can also be found via simple google search.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:22 AM

Ok, now let's talk about this seriously.

I enrolled in 2 certificates: IBM Data Science (10 months) and Statistics with R by Duke University (7 months) and I completed 2 short courses: Getting Started with Google Sheets by Google Cloud and Introduction to SQL by University of Michigan.

Now I am only working through IBM and Duke certificates. I am a disciplined and very dedicated student so I am taking all courses seriously and put a fair amount of time for each one. My feelings about MOOC courses/certificates are mixed, just I want to note that I only have experience with Coursera as all the certificates/courses I am enrolled are from Coursera. I disagree that evaluating others is the best way to evaluate students assignments/projects. I would appreciate some kind of involvement from Mentors/Instructors to evaluate students assignments/projects. This would bring more objectivity and accurate scores to student assignments.

I am a bit mad today. I had to evaluate a project and I like to be objective while evaluating other students. At least two students failed because of providing poor quality assignments. It's not the first time I evaluate with fail to another student. The courses I enrolled are not easy and need a lot of dedication (especially the one with Duke University). It seems that some students lack of an adequate education to follow the topics, lack of commitment, or they enroll in tens of courses at once, I don't know... One student failed twice with me because he pretended to submit "anything" in order to pass. No comments to this...

Overall I have my opinion and is not so negative. I think MOOC courses/certificates are good to gain skills or excel in existing skills you already have and can be a small plus in your career, but that's it. I think the formal education, let's say a college degree/s along with real world experience weights far more than MOOC courses/certificates. I am speaking as for the best scenario, because I see no benefit at all by completing or attempting to complete a course/certificate with poor quality assignments. I don't know about the patterns and behaviours of other students but I have the feeling that most of them are enrolled in countless of courses and pretend to be a master in something in "two days". In my opinion learning a new skill takes looong! not just a couple of hours.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:31 AM

3,401 posts, read 4,587,041 times
The courses seem to be geared toward professionals who are seeking a refresher course or a Resume boost. I would not advise the courses for people who never completed high school or college. They'll probably end up submitting bad work, flunking out, and losing out on their tuition.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:25 AM

8,618 posts, read 7,797,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
The courses seem to be geared toward professionals who are seeking a refresher course or a Resume boost. I would not advise the courses for people who never completed high school or college. They'll probably end up submitting bad work, flunking out, and losing out on their tuition.
It’s only a few hundred bucks.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:11 PM

4,026 posts, read 1,532,133 times
I’m currently doing an advanced Excel course on it. It’s a great way to boost your skills in a chosen area.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:48 AM

My IBM Data Science certificate is around 350€ and "Statistics with R" around 400€. "Statistics with R" requires patience, commitment and hard work. I admit is time consuming, it requires hours of reading and solving exercises from a recommended textbook, dealing with lots of quizzes (videos with quizzes and final tests) and a final project for each course. Of course, not everybody pass, as I said previously I put fails to some students and I dare to do so if the quality of the assignment is poor. As I could read in the comments section, there are students who give up but I don't know if there is an option to refund, I won't need it because I put several hours in it and I am thriving as I can, even not having a background in Statistics, but 3 degrees in my back. The courses states between 3 and 4 hours a week but everybody serious enrolled knows it's not true and you end up working far harder than 3 or 4 hours a week.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:14 AM

4,026 posts, read 1,532,133 times
Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that all courses on Coursera are included in the monthly payment.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:01 AM

Probably I'm doing something wrong... I am paying a 35€ monthly fee for IBM Data Science specialization and 43€ monthly fee for Statistics with R Duke University specialization. I guess I am paying extra fees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or