U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 06:13 AM

385 posts, read 72,367 times

Advertisements

I have been looking into this. I have two young children. I doubt they will do well wearing masks all day and staying a way from other children and their teacher. Our district has yet to make a final decision of either hybrid or remote only.

I'm thinking remote only with a pod of kids (4 or 5) and one tutor. These families bubble together. I'm still learning about it, but this seems like it would be the least disruptive option that could allow for a more normal class set up.

Is this on your mind?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-schooling

https://www.microschoolrevolution.co...r-microschool/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 08:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,172 posts, read 43,937,903 times
We essentially did this while...
  • Within homeschool group of neighbors
  • Living and working overseas
  • Living on an island in BC
  • living on farms and ranches

Finding like minded families can be a challenge, as independent families each have independent ideas, but it is possible, especially when parents realize flexibility and variety is as good of a teacher as 'optimal' studies. (unschooling theme vs, strict academics)

Kids are very resilient and creative learners.
Give them a chance.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 PM

9,279 posts, read 9,607,535 times
The new buzz word is "learning pods" or "Pandemic Pods." You can either hire a tutor to work with your "pod" part time and the students work with their teacher from their home school virtually full time or you can hire a teacher from an agency that will provide the curriculum that is supposed to line up with your states' curriculum.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:27 AM

7,860 posts, read 11,584,574 times
Do any of you expect this trend - of small groups hiring online teachers and tutors with a program that satisfies State and local requirements - to continue even after this pandemic subsides?

It is possible that some critical masses of families get used to it, especially those paying tuition at private schools, maybe at least partially explaining why some private schools have plunged headstrong into in-person or hybrid options against broad recommendations for online only for at least a few months.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Do any of you expect this trend - of small groups hiring online teachers and tutors with a program that satisfies State and local requirements - to continue even after this pandemic subsides?

It is possible that some critical masses of families get used to it, especially those paying tuition at private schools, maybe at least partially explaining why some private schools have plunged headstrong into in-person or hybrid options against broad recommendations for online only for at least a few months.
I could see it for parents who don't have to work outside the home and for parents who are capable of maintaining a disciplined schedule. That's not my family. We need to external forces to drive our schedules like work, school, etc. Otherwise it becomes a free for all. I love my kids. I love my spouse. But, I need them to all go! At least for a little while routinely . We are way too much in each other's grille this year.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:54 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,167,178 times
A coworker of mine is hosting one of these in their home. It sounds dangerous and like too large a liability to me, and they're a pretty well-off and responsible family. However, the "tutor" isn't any kind of accredited teacher, they have a pool to which the kids will have access. A child nearly drowned (mother had to jump in and pull him off the bottom) in it when I was at a pre-covid party at their place, and that was with a lifeguard present. They WERE going to get a trampoline as "play equipment" before thinking better of it.

Furthermore, they've been hosting/attending 10+ person parties throughout the pandemic, and the kids they're taking are just friends' children. They don't really know how those families are behaving. The kids are all being tutored in a small room inside their house for hours at a time.

They aren't taking any sort of precautions like masks, temperature checks, or even asking about symptoms.

There aren't enough benefits to outweigh the risks/costs for us:

Positives:
+ Some additional peer interaction.
+ Parents can work or have free-time.
+ Possibly higher-quality instruction. Most likely higher quality than fake school (distance learning).

Negatives:
- Unknown sanitation/spacing/masking/precautions.
- Thousand of additional routes of virus transmission are added for every contact your children make. Especially for extended periods indoors.
- No safety standards. There may be dangerous attractive nuisances in the home like pools, trampolines, biting dogs, etc.
- No vetting. The tutor may not be accredited. A pedophile may live in the home or nearby. Safety practices are unlikely to be maintained.
- Expensive.
- No extracurricular activities.
- Limited field trips (in some cases).

Old 08-08-2020, 03:07 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,502,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
A coworker of mine is hosting one of these in their home. It sounds . . .
+ Possibly higher-quality instruction. Most likely higher quality than fake school (distance learning).

Negatives:
- Unknown sanitation/spacing/masking/precautions.
- Thousand of additional routes of virus transmission are added for every contact your children make. Especially for extended periods indoors.
- No safety standards. There may be dangerous attractive nuisances in the home like pools, trampolines, biting dogs, etc.
- No vetting. The tutor may not be accredited. A pedophile may live in the home or nearby. Safety practices are unlikely to be maintained.
- Expensive.
- No extracurricular activities.
- Limited field trips (in some cases).
Distance learning is not fake school, but it's different. It works for some people, but not for everyone.

A tutor can be (more) vetted by doing a background check. If one is in the US, ask if so and so has a certification. The state dept. of education can be contacted regarding a person's certification status to check.

If your coworker or someone similar looking is near Philly, feel free to PM me.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:14 AM

My ideal would be two bubble with a family or two and host in my home using the online instruction provided by the school. I've started looking for someone to proctor the online learning, but have come across a range of salary requirements. I've seen many teachers wanting parents to supplement their lost salaries, which really isn't feasible. The situation is crazy.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:46 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,502,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
My ideal would be two bubble with a family or two and host in my home using the online instruction provided by the school. I've started looking for someone to proctor the online learning, but have come across a range of salary requirements. I've seen many teachers wanting parents to supplement their lost salaries, which really isn't feasible. The situation is crazy.
Well of course they want their salaries supplemented. It's a big sacrifice they'd have to make to transition from a career job to tutoring. It takes work to get certification.
There are definitely very rich families supplementing these kind of salaries. Very few I'm sure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...298_story.html

Old 08-17-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Well of course they want their salaries supplemented. It's a big sacrifice they'd have to make to transition from a career job to tutoring. It takes work to get certification.
There are definitely very rich families supplementing these kind of salaries. Very few I'm sure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...298_story.html
Right, most families can't afford it. I'm fortunate that I found one family to partner with and we found a teacher who will do remote in her district during the day then spend 2 hours 3-4 afternoons a week with our kids for ~20/hr. Although, we've decided to use a homeschooling approach and not the district in order to avoid a day of zooming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or