U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 02:28 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,166,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
[b][color="darkred"] And what about the staff at the school? My district has some sort of policy that each kid can have contact with 4 adults per day. I'm certain some of those adults have pre-existing conditions, are pregnant, perhaps immunocompromised, and I'm not talking about people undergoing chemotherapy. I'm talking about people on long-term steroids for some reason, things like that that leave them able to hold a job.
Remember, we're talking about a 10-year-old's personal decision, not opening/closing school in general. The 10-year old cannot change district policy. Her decision to go to an open school is the same as your decision to go to an open supermarket. You could preventing the spread of COVID-19 by staying isolated, but you weigh the cost of having your groceries delivered and then do what is best for both you and society. Same for her decision to attend school in person.

Did you read this?

"Interestingly, schools with remote-only learning plans reported an infection rate among staff similar to that of schools running at full capacity. This could indicate cases brought in from the community rather than contracted at school, Zerr suggested. On the other hand, Oster noted, in some places teachers are being asked to teach remotely from their classrooms and infections may be passed among adults in a building."

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/23/91573...ross-47-states

So, there are two places teachers are contracting the virus:
1. From other adults at their workplace--just like the rest of us.
2. From community spread outside their workplace--just like the rest of us.

Quote:
There is no relation between distance learning and distance hair-cutting. If you were ever on this thread pre-Covid, say for a couple of days, you saw posts advocating online learning.
Again, the 10-year-old (and I) are clearly not those people advocating for DL. I know that it sucks. My kids would have better haircuts from distance barbering than the education they were getting from DLing.

Quote:
I'd say education can be delayed when doing so risks the health and life of many people. There's no "now or never" with education.
So can hair cuts, dining out, grocery shopping, getting your nails done, visiting your friends, etc. etc. Activities that actually put people at risk. To delay education but allow hair cuts is not just arbitrary, but counterproductive. More people are getting COVID from these adult activities than are getting it from teaching children in person.

Quote:
We're not talking about adults here, we're talking about school children.
Not in a vacuum. Keeping the 3 kids we're talking about out of school to prevent the virus is like emptying a teacup overboard to keep the titanic afloat. Even if you extend this to every child, emptying all the teacups will have only a small effect on the ships buoyancy, but it is not going to solve the real problem, which is adult-to-adult spread of the virus. If we want to save the ship, we need to focus on the primary vectors: adults, and especially adult activities which require close proximity and no masks (dining/drinking out).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education