U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 03:13 PM

27,235 posts, read 17,613,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yeah, realistically they all should be held back a year. It won't happen because that's an additional year of per student funding the federal government needs to provide for every K-12 public school student.
I don’t agree that this should be a blanket solution for every school or every student.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 AM

4,589 posts, read 4,156,798 times
Quote:
Should All Kids Be Left Back a Year?
Great. So we go from "No Student Left Behind" to "All Students Left Behind"? No thanks.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:23 AM

1,505 posts, read 740,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Great. So we go from "No Student Left Behind" to "All Students Left Behind"? No thanks.
Neither is worse than the other...

Old 08-10-2020, 02:54 PM

4,589 posts, read 4,156,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Neither is worse than the other...
LOL getting left back is only bad if you're a student who's kept up with your course work, right?

I suppose the whole HS football team might benefit from a "red shirt" year, in terms of potential scholarships and that's up to them.

But I'm thinking in terms of normal middle class kids whose parents have had them keep up their studies during the lockdown. I mean, the lockdown started for most kids in mid to late March and will be over in September when they go back. It's not inconceivable that average middle class, two-parents-in-the-home kids can pick up where they left off, just like they do every September.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:11 PM

35,853 posts, read 45,994,259 times
Quote:
LOL getting left back is only bad if you're a student who's kept up with your course work, right?

I suppose the whole HS football team might benefit from a "red shirt" year, in terms of potential scholarships and that's up to them.

But I'm thinking in terms of normal middle class kids whose parents have had them keep up their studies during the lockdown. I mean, the lockdown started for most kids in mid to late March and will be over in September when they go back. It's not inconceivable that average middle class, two-parents-in-the-home kids can pick up where they left off, just like they do every September.
While this is the most unusual incident that's likely ever been faced, at least within living memory, what everybody's forgetting (you didn't) is exactly who suffers the summer "brain drain" (Pro Tip: it's not the kids whose parents help them with and monitor the schoolwork, keep them reading and doing stuff during the summer).

https://www.brookings.edu/research/s...e-do-about-it/

https://www.wesa.fm/post/separating-...drain#stream/0

Old 08-10-2020, 06:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,916,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
While this is the most unusual incident that's likely ever been faced, ...who suffers the summer "brain drain"
might be a problem for 'conventional' thinkers / doers, but...

Summer has always been more intense LEARNING for the students in much of the world (apparently excluding most of USA) We (USA) should consider it...

a) 4H is still operating this summer... as are many competitions, showing judging, livestock sales (My 'city' nieces in Atlanta did 4H through HS and got great scholarships). Of course summer competition means you need to COMPLETE and present your ANNUAL project and documentation book, with all your costs / time / research / materials, resources / journal / learnings...

b) Home businesses - we worked in parent's businesses since about age 6-8 doing all kinds of relevant tasks.
Our kids were weighing in and out 100+ customers / day... calculating Net vs Gross (container + produce), different commodity and quantity break-downs, separating the very complex sales tax issues of different products and wholesale vs retail customers. + packaging costs.

c) side businesses, good idea for families to have a diversified income stream, just in case WTSHTF
Many kids work at youth camps (Yes even during Covid, just across the street from me is a summer camp (It's FULL with a huge waiting list).

d) vacations - we had our kids do the budget and planning for vacations (usually a lot of translation of foreign currencies, road tolls) different food options (bring vs, make, vs, buying prepared foods). They also tracked our budget while traveling separating food / transportation (and lots of tolls) / lodging / admissions.

e) Preparing for winter - of course we had to cut and stack wood or we would FREEZE the next winter. Kids fully participated in everything from falling trees, to calculating storage and costs. and a lot of splitting and stacking (plenty of time to think / invent better ways).

f) Food harvest and storage - calculating formulas for canning / freezing, drying, blanching. Buying all supplies needed. Calculating what process is most cost effective for which items (Knowing the freezer space is not unlimited and certainly not free!)

g) Nutrition... what crops are worth growing, what the food value vs input vs buy break-evens are.

h) knowledge growth activities - Music, language, crafts, skills,

i) Informational interviews and career exploration. Each kid should spend at least a week of each summer with a mentor / someone in their desired fields. Mine really enjoyed and grew through that experience, and were able to get 'cert's required for higher level skills. PRIOR to future summer jobs (Such as wildland fire fighting, Fish and navigation training) Saved them a couple yrs doing GRUNT jobs at GRUNT pay.

j) gaining responsibilities for the home. Summer is a big gap, best to fill with wise responsibility and knowledge transfer. Our kids didn't have to 'wonder' what it was gonna be like to be 18 and GONE. They knew what it would be like and were prepared to do it. (From repairing cars to repairing roofs and budgeting for insurance and cash flows).

So many GREAT opportunities to never give Summer Brain Drain a fighting chance.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:34 PM

8,322 posts, read 2,687,334 times
Quote:
Do you really not have a clue? It's ok over in that cesspool you create in Politics and Other Controversies but over here actual consequences are discussed.

Here, I'll give you one clue: Art at all levels is required for school systems to maintain their accreditation.
I'm flattered if you think I "created" everything in another forum, but, in answer to your question: No, I am not a professional in education, so - like most people - cannot be expected to know the details of accreditation policy. I do know, however, that I keep reading that schools have eliminated things like art and music programs, and I do know that most people would consider math and English more important, and I do know that everyone is bending a lot of rules during the pandemic crisis.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well, if you're not ready to advance, you're not ready.
Quote:
You shouldn't be allowed to play on the football team if you're not doing well in school.
Quote:

There's no guarantee the lockdown will be over in September for many school districts. Many districts will proceed with the pseudo home schooling.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 10,554,864 times
Quote:
While this is the most unusual incident that's likely ever been faced, at least within living memory, what everybody's forgetting (you didn't) is exactly who suffers the summer "brain drain" (Pro Tip: it's not the kids whose parents help them with and monitor the schoolwork, keep them reading and doing stuff during the summer).

https://www.brookings.edu/research/s...e-do-about-it/

https://www.wesa.fm/post/separating-...drain#stream/0
+1. I mentioned this elsewhere. We have a nephew who is bound for engineering school Fall '21. The end of last school year was 100% online as you might have guessed. Basically all of his buddies just mailed it in as the school has told everyone more or less, "try a little" and you'll get a B. His parents demanded that the kid put in a good effort and they arranged all sorts of enrichment activities over the summer.

IMO real damage has been done to many kids and it's 100%, OK almost 100%, on parents.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
+1. I mentioned this elsewhere. We have a nephew who is bound for engineering school Fall '21. The end of last school year was 100% online as you might have guessed. Basically all of his buddies just mailed it in as the school has told everyone more or less, "try a little" and you'll get a B. His parents demanded that the kid put in a good effort and they arranged all sorts of enrichment activities over the summer.

IMO real damage has been done to many kids and it's 100%, OK almost 100%, on parents.
Wow... that's a horrible thing to be told. With that attitude, who knows whether the teachers are putting in their "A" effort at teaching and grading. I wouldn't want to deal with a "B" if I did good work and I wouldn't trust a school that has this attitude to take my work seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education