U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 10:06 PM

7,593 posts, read 3,411,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t agree that this should be a blanket solution for every school or every student.
To be honest, I vacillate alot on this. I'm SO glad I started my twins in Kindergarten at age four. They not only excelled at grade level but were placed in gifted/magnet programs.

Had I started them at age five; they would not have been class of 2019. Never travelled for Robotics, or played in Carnegie Hall. Or had a graduation, prom, grad party, etc. The class of 2020 missed a lot. I'm one who places a lot of value on enrichment & socialization though. I literally begged, borrowed & sometimes missed a meal to make sure that they had opportunities.

My state paid mega bucks for my SPED child to have services & therapies per his IEP at a BOCES school. They got stiffed & so did my kid. I want that made up in the future. He's already marginalized enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,701,287 times
I think it could be a very humiliating and tramatic experience for many - if not most - elementary students to be held back while all of his or her classmates move on to the next grade. It would make him or her a target for bullies. I think it could wreck a student's self-confidence and self-image and have long lasting psychological effects well into adult hood. I think they - ("they" being the school district or parents) - should get the student a tutor for some one on one teaching after school and on weekends to get him or her up to snuff so that he or she will pass to the next grade with all the others.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,924,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think it could be a very humiliating and tramatic experience for many - if not most - elementary students to be held back while all of his or her classmates move on to the next grade. It would make him or her a target for bullies. I think it could wreck a student's self-confidence and self-image and have long lasting psychological effects well into adult hood. I think they - ("they" being the school district or parents) - should get the student a tutor for some one on one teaching after school and on weekends to get him or her up to snuff so that he or she will pass to the next grade with all the others.
but,,, this is the thread title "Should All Kids Be Left Back a Year?"
So even the bullies will be stronger (ALL the bullies).

Great idea?... Hold back ONLY the regions that can't get Covid Spread under Control!!! (under 5% positivity and under 1.0 Rn). Seems like a good incentive to get communities to get-it-together . And the community leaders and politicians can realize consequences for their INACTION. perfect!

Old 08-10-2020, 11:14 PM

2,097 posts, read 774,259 times
Left back a year?
Of course not..NO CHILD MUST BE LEFT BEHIND!
Besides, most of them are a year (or two) behind already, so what's the big deal?

Old 08-11-2020, 07:05 AM

4,590 posts, read 4,158,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Well, if you're not ready to advance, you're not ready.
The thread title refers to "ALL" kids being left back a year and that's what I am responding to.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:54 AM

27,241 posts, read 17,618,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
LOL getting left back is only bad if you're a student who's kept up with your course work, right?

I suppose the whole HS football team might benefit from a "red shirt" year, in terms of potential scholarships and that's up to them.

But I'm thinking in terms of normal middle class kids whose parents have had them keep up their studies during the lockdown. I mean, the lockdown started for most kids in mid to late March and will be over in September when they go back. It's not inconceivable that average middle class, two-parents-in-the-home kids can pick up where they left off, just like they do every September.
Actually, I agree with this. But I am not sure that “middle class kids” make up the majority in public schools. There are kids who come from poverty, non native English speaking homes, abusive situations, etc. These are the kids most at risk, IMO. They are the ones who lack access to computers, need the caring responsiveness of teachers, need the free meals provided at school.

I think we are in danger of losing the chance to teach a large number of kids basic skills.

Students in upper grades are likely set in their academic paths. I think they will be affected less. Of course, the gap in schooling does not work to anyone’s advantage.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:50 AM

1,505 posts, read 741,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The thread title refers to "ALL" kids being left back a year and that's what I am responding to.
You split it out between people who completed their coursework and didn't. Were you suggested that ALL students complete their coursework? That's just not true.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:56 AM

3,677 posts, read 1,500,430 times
You are assuming that most kids actually learn anything of value in school, when what they actually are learning from is youtube and video games and social media. What is taught in schools is almost all forgotten after final exams.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:57 AM

258 posts, read 30,866 times
It should be left to the States and/or ISDs to decide. They know their students better than the Feds.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:31 PM

206 posts, read 72,836 times
I don't want my kids held back a year just because. I was already considering having y younger son skip a year (he missed the cutoff to enter a year earlier by a 35 days). My older son was already at the top of his class, though his age is pretty much the middle of his grade's spread. I could see dividing the class into tracks that don't need to be held back, and those who might need extra time. Grade 4 1/2 for example, though you could call it something more neutral to spare feelings. Since many kids would probably need this extra time, I don't think it would be as devastating as being singled out for being held back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education