U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 01:26 PM

10,214 posts, read 10,554,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Wow... that's a horrible thing to be told. With that attitude, who knows whether the teachers are putting in their "A" effort at teaching and grading. I wouldn't want to deal with a "B" if I did good work and I wouldn't trust a school that has this attitude to take my work seriously.
Agreed. The kid's parents and to be fair they say quite a few other parents were really upset by the low bar attitude and comments.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 02:17 PM

35,854 posts, read 45,994,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
might be a problem for 'conventional' thinkers / doers, but...
You just can't be bothered to pay attention can you?

All that myriad of things you listed are what many parents do with their kids (well, maybe except use them as unpaid stoop labor). The problem is with the parents who don't. The parents whose kids are the focus of every single school reform effort of the last thirty years.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:51 PM

9,533 posts, read 9,086,587 times
One reason that a lot of children are being left behind with the home school program is they do not have the proper equipment at home to be successful.

Example. Our housekeepers younger son was in the sixth grade last year, and was failing when it went to home school. It was almost impossible to get him to do his school work. He was trying to do it with a lap top.

His mother told me what was happening. I took her to my den, and had her bring up his school class on the same size lap top. It was almost impossible to even read what was on the screen. I showed her my computer set up. A refurbished tower that after going off lease at an office, was refurbished and sold for $90 operating on 10 professional. Then showed her my screen which is a $90 32 inch television. Pulled up the same class on that and it was like being in the classroom with a big blackboard. Suddenly she realized what a difference the big screen made. I also showed her OpenCulture.org which is a site that helps K-12 students and a lot more.

She went home and ordered the identical set up from Walmart for $185. The kid that was failing the 6th grade and hated doing his classes, was up every morning and doing his school work happy as can be. He had real problems in math, went to open culture and entered the math problem he did not understand, and it would show him a similar problem and how to work the problem. Suddenly he had a private tutor showing him how to solve the problem of understanding the work. In 6 weeks, that kid went from a hopelessly lost student who was going to have to repeat the 6th grade, to a .395 grade student, one of the grade leaders in his class. His teacher could hardly believe the change in him.

His older brother who was a junior in high school, had always been neck to neck with his best friend over who was #1 and who was #2 in his classes throughout school, started to use the same system, and really jumped ahead of his friend. After 2 weeks, his friends parents asked our housekeeper what had happened and she told them, and they bought the same system, and they were back at their duel for #1. She has ordered a second big screen tower system for the older boy, who will be taking it to college year after next, to use in his dorm, with the nearly new unused lap top to go to classes and using a USB stick to transfer information between the two system, can have a lot of advantages. In addition the screen is big enough for watching movies, etc., for entertainment.

We have seen what having the improper and proper equipment can make a huge difference in students when they are receiving home school instead of classroom. Too many are trying to do it on a tablet, or a smaller screen Laptop, and it just does not work well. They need a big screen setup to be able to do a proper home school. Don't blame the kids, blame the equipment they are trying to work with. Wrong equipment and they don't have a chance to succeed.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,916,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You just can't be bothered to pay attention can you?...
I have very selective hearing, when told...
Can't be done!
Impossible,
That's not how we do it here!
Been tried before and failed.... As in...
Quote:
every single school reform effort of the last thirty years.
Precisely why we (USA failed EDU system) are 'stuck-in-the-rut", and a tragedy for our youth and future.

But quite and expected response here.... C-D 'educators' (?)

Old 08-11-2020, 04:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,916,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
One reason that a lot of children are being left behind with the home school program is they do not have the proper equipment at home to be successful.

..... They need a big screen setup to be able to do a proper home school. Don't blame the kids, blame the equipment they are trying to work with. Wrong equipment and they don't have a chance to succeed.
Sounds more like "doing conventional school at home",.(implementing someone else's plan) Definitely not "Homeschooling", nearly the opposite.

Homeschoolers take on the entire responsibility, including their success and results. They own it.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:03 PM

5,944 posts, read 1,724,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How much K-12 school should be missed before all kids are left back for 1 year?

If "left back" isn't the current terminology, I apologize. I have no dog in this fight (no kids in school). I'm just referring to repeating a grade. I'm not looking for a specific answer, either, just a discussion.

Should they have to take a test to be promoted to the next grade because they missed so much school? And yes, I know some kids were home schooled which might be why a test should determine it.
Not automatically. Doing such a thing across the board would be arbitrary, senseless, and an abuse of power. It should fall on leaders to at least have a pathway to advance to the next grade AT ALL TIMES, state of emergency or otherwise.

1. Students should be able to test to the next grade, if nothing else.
2. Students who complied with all directives and received passing grades in all classes should advance, as well.
3. Students have not yet missed a full calendar year, so should not be held back a calendar year. Time missed last academic year was closer to a quarter, not even a semester. The current academic year began as scheduled, virtual or otherwise.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:43 AM

20,295 posts, read 25,394,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How much K-12 school should be missed before all kids are left back for 1 year?

If "left back" isn't the current terminology, I apologize. I have no dog in this fight (no kids in school). I'm just referring to repeating a grade. I'm not looking for a specific answer, either, just a discussion.

Should they have to take a test to be promoted to the next grade because they missed so much school? And yes, I know some kids were home schooled which might be why a test should determine it.
I think all children, students - need to be protected from this virus.

As of now, there is no vaccination and nor cure. Children are "Super Carriers". Those fortunate enough to have a grandparent to care for them, may unknowingly cause the death of that grandparent.

Child care is expensive. It is also dangerous for child care workers, who are exposed to the virus thru the children they watch. Then they go home, and spread the virus to their own children and other family members.

I am and have always been very pro-education. However, I have never lived thru a virulent pandemic. Some of the ideas posed are just silly. Especially the "hybrid program". A few days of school and a few days to carry the virus home? Why? Because of one year of school?

Online school would not work for every student. Firstly, not all children have the internet. Some children have older consle computers or phones that are shared among family members. Some have parents who are well educated and able to help with school assignments. Others have computer illiterate parents who dropped out of HS.

What public school does best, is attempt to level the playing field. It also offers enthusiastic and dedicated teachers. Not all, but most. Not all children learn in the same way. Not all will succeed as on-line students.

People seem to think this is a radical idea, but instead of framing this as being "left back", how about just announcing that school will be suspended for one year?

Out of every idea, it seems to be the best for the most children.

If adults have a hard time with social distancing and impulse control, how can we expect six years olds to do any better?

Returning to school is just a recipe for spreading COVID-19 and thus, a very pad idea.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:36 AM

35,854 posts, read 45,994,259 times
You guys tell this mother that kids shouldn't go back to school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZ52EHeJB4

Old 08-12-2020, 07:24 AM

4,589 posts, read 4,156,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You split it out between people who completed their coursework and didn't. Were you suggested that ALL students complete their coursework? That's just not true.

Not even sure what to make of this. I said pretty clearly that all kids should not be left behind, because that would penalize kids whose parents saw to it that they did their work.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:15 AM

27,235 posts, read 17,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
I don't want my kids held back a year just because. I was already considering having y younger son skip a year (he missed the cutoff to enter a year earlier by a 35 days). My older son was already at the top of his class, though his age is pretty much the middle of his grade's spread. I could see dividing the class into tracks that don't need to be held back, and those who might need extra time. Grade 4 1/2 for example, though you could call it something more neutral to spare feelings. Since many kids would probably need this extra time, I don't think it would be as devastating as being singled out for being held back.
“Just because” is not a good reason to have a kid skip a grade. Not sure if the school would allow it, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education