U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 AM

10,214 posts, read 10,554,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sounds more like "doing conventional school at home",.(implementing someone else's plan) Definitely not "Homeschooling", nearly the opposite.

Homeschoolers take on the entire responsibility, including their success and results. They own it.
There's an important distinction that you are glossing over.......OT's housekeep and her kids are not homeschooling by choice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 12:15 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,031,296 times
"Leaving all kids back a year" will only work if your elementary school has room for an entire extra class. What do you do with all the extra kindergartners who just refuse to stop turning five?

It's similar to the problem colleges will have with their football teams next year if they don't play this year. They'll have an additional group of kids coming in, with no one going out. With football, you just keep the best ones; so some kids who dreamed of college football won't play it, and that's it. But with elementary school you can't really do that.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:15 PM

5,395 posts, read 3,869,660 times
Schools already have to do remediation and review due to backsliding over summer breaks. They'll just have to step that up. Holding an entire cohort, or a significant portion of a cohort, back a year because they missed a few months of instruction would be ridiculous. Even if somehow an entire year's worth of progress was derailed, you wouldn't have to make up that entire year at once. Like, rather than repeating 3rd grade, you could redistribute what's taught at the upcoming grade levels so that from 4th-8th the kid is doing 6 years worth of content (3rd-8th material) over the next 5 school years. If nothing else, summer school is an option. Year-round school should already be standard in the US anyway.

Once you get to high school it's more about accumulating credits toward graduation than about reaching grade level proficiency, so that's a separate issue: schools will need to offer credit recovery options for high school students who fell through or fall through the cracks with distance ed.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:01 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,271,195 times
With so many folks who defer their college acceptance for a gap year, I don't see the harm in repeating a grade or extending the K-12 education to K-13 or K-14. As an admirer of the Khan Academy, I would think young students would do better by mastering the areas where they struggled before proceeding ahead to the next stage. For instance, making sure a student is comfortable with addition and subtraction because moving on to multiplication and division. We have time now and I think the important thing is do the best for the future, and not necessarily rush things or push for things to get back to normal...these are not normal times.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:57 PM

35,854 posts, read 45,994,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
With so many folks who defer their college acceptance for a gap year, I don't see the harm in repeating a grade or extending the K-12 education to K-13 or K-14. As an admirer of the Khan Academy, I would think young students would do better by mastering the areas where they struggled before proceeding ahead to the next stage. For instance, making sure a student is comfortable with addition and subtraction because moving on to multiplication and division. We have time now and I think the important thing is do the best for the future, and not necessarily rush things or push for things to get back to normal...these are not normal times.
"So many"? Roughly 5 million students start college each year and less than 30,000 take a gap year. That could almost be considered rounding error.

As to the rest of your post, schools really aren't set up to provide adult day care, which your grades 13 and 14 would be.

I'm guessing you didn't go to school with/haven't taught any 5th or 6th year Seniors who are only there to complete one class. The problem is that many of their parents insist they stay in school all day so they end up being parachuted into classes for which they have no interest and in which many cause absolute chaos for the kids who are interested.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:07 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,066,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How much K-12 school should be missed before all kids are left back for 1 year?

If "left back" isn't the current terminology, I apologize. I have no dog in this fight (no kids in school). I'm just referring to repeating a grade. I'm not looking for a specific answer, either, just a discussion.

Should they have to take a test to be promoted to the next grade because they missed so much school? And yes, I know some kids were home schooled which might be why a test should determine it.
Never gonna happen. If all are left back, how would the current new class begin. They will need to be delayed a year so that the last class isn’t doubled up. Put em through, they’ve been doing it for decades already. Doesn’t matter anymore,

Old 08-12-2020, 05:14 PM

9,816 posts, read 8,348,683 times
They miss out on a year to pick up remote learning skills that they'll need in college and work. Whether they attend a school or are taught at home, remote learning should now be a requirement just like reading, writing, computer skills, etc.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:52 PM

5,395 posts, read 3,869,660 times
Quote:
With so many folks who defer their college acceptance for a gap year, I don't see the harm in repeating a grade or extending the K-12 education to K-13 or K-14.
You don't see any potential pitfalls with having 21-year-olds in the same campus as 15-year-olds? Also, where are all these additional teachers going to come from for the additional grades?

Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 PM

8,209 posts, read 4,635,902 times
Quote:
They're already in school for 13 years, not counting preschool. A lot are ready to be out by the end of 11th grade. Why punish them with more years of being trapped in a school building.

Besides, we already have grades 13 and 14. It's called community college.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:16 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,031,296 times
Quote:

Most schools don't have space to add another grade. They'd also need to hire more teachers, support staff, and bus drivers. Some of that could be done if enough money is thrown at them, but the space problem is not solvable for many schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education