U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 08:57 PM

35,764 posts, read 35,553,529 times

Advertisements

How much K-12 school should be missed before all kids are left back for 1 year?

If "left back" isn't the current terminology, I apologize. I have no dog in this fight (no kids in school). I'm just referring to repeating a grade. I'm not looking for a specific answer, either, just a discussion.

Should they have to take a test to be promoted to the next grade because they missed so much school? And yes, I know some kids were home schooled which might be why a test should determine it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 09:36 AM

1,964 posts, read 1,165,492 times
Yes. If they don't meet standards or pass assessments from previous in-school years, because distance learning is inadequate, they shouldn't just be shoved through the system to make quotas. I think it's more realistic to ask "how can we handle 20-40% of kids repeating their current grade?"

Old 08-07-2020, 09:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,916,783 times
I don't much care for universal rules applied to all students, as there are significant learnings available during this unique event. Some will sink, some will swim.

It would be reasonable to apply competence exams for certain thresholds. Kids learn at different rates in each subject.

For current year....provide the objectives - meet them. Explore vast opportunities elsewhere. (Get students involved in understanding, managing, and solving pandemics.). Or something else they always desired to learn, but were hindered by being sequestered in a classroom with 30 clones.

Open the doors of their inquisitive minds.
Set them free to explore and learn.

Measure their progress later.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:57 PM

385 posts, read 72,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Yes. If they don't meet standards or pass assessments from previous in-school years, because distance learning is inadequate, they shouldn't just be shoved through the system to make quotas. I think it's more realistic to ask "how can we handle 20-40% of kids repeating their current grade?"
I agree with this. I don't know how my kids will do with the pod thing this year, but if they need to repeat...at least for once it's good they weren't born in Sept or Oct.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:42 PM

8,322 posts, read 2,687,334 times
Frightening idea, isn't it?

Maybe as soon as it's safe they should lengthen school days, lengthen the school year, explain to parents that there will be more homework, and cut back on non-essentials like art in elementary school and study hall in high school.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:42 AM

35,854 posts, read 45,994,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

Maybe as soon as it's safe they should lengthen school days, lengthen the school year, explain to parents that there will be more homework, and cut back on non-essentials like art in elementary school and study hall in high school.
Do you really not have a clue? It's ok over in that cesspool you create in Politics and Other Controversies but over here actual consequences are discussed.

Here, I'll give you one clue: Art at all levels is required for school systems to maintain their accreditation.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:04 AM

8,209 posts, read 4,635,902 times
Quote:

Or we may find they can accomplish the same results in half the time. I fall into the camp that students should be allowed to advance when they are ready to advance, not when the calendar say so. I would include both academic and maturity considerations in the definition of "ready" so it would have to be an individualistic decision and not a check the box automatic one.

Think back to your own time in school and how much time was spent repeating the same thing that had just been taught multiple times. Or how some students would work together intentionally to get the teacher off track by asking the same question again and again. Eliminate that time waste and you could finish the school year in February.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:08 AM
Status: "Trump - excepting Jorgensen, the least of multiple evils" (set 7 days ago)

13,773 posts, read 8,469,565 times
Quote:

A better idea --- privatize all education and put the NEA out of business!!!

Old 08-08-2020, 07:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,916,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A better idea --- privatize all education and put the NEA out of business!!!
Or outsource to a country who has got it right and has sustained results for 20+ yrs. Very, very easy and practical to do. Sell 1/2 the school buildings and all the buses. (Some countries have been holding double sessions / day for many years.)

When we volunteered in schools, our kids would exclaim.... "If the students would listen and engage, they could be out of there before noon.. Why waste all day stuck inside a school building?"

Old 08-08-2020, 10:23 AM

1,505 posts, read 740,737 times
Quote:

It's interesting (and evident) when someone not familiar with education or America chimes in with an opinion on education in America. Art is a necessary academic program and cutting it would be detrimental. Imagine if the founding fathers had skipped art.

I agree with lengthening of the school year or even school on the weekends to make up for shortcomings in education during this period.... but only to an extend. Summer breaks and weekends are very important as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education