U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 08:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,924,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I don't think I've ever met anyone who couldn't identify a potato .

But I'm sure there are high school and/or college students around that think Texas is the capital of New Mexico
You will find many of those 'type' students in Texas.

Interesting swimmers too. My friend's say "them thar Texans swim like cattle'.
(All the lifeguards at community pool swim with their heads out of water). Strangest thing I've seen... Hopefully those they are rescuing are above water too, so they can see them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 11:10 AM

6,834 posts, read 4,515,462 times
We're getting a nationwide social experiment RIGHT NOW of what life is like in a world without school.

Turns out, a lot of people don't like it.

The arguments you folks are having is not a new one. In fact it sounds like Socrates vs. the Sophists. The Sophists believed in education for practical uses, determined by those already in power. Socrates and his followers believed in education for the discovery of universal truths.

Last edited by redguard57; 08-22-2020 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-22-2020, 11:29 AM

31,044 posts, read 13,155,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
We're getting a nationwide social experiment RIGHT NOW of what life is like in a world without school.

The arguments you folks are having is not a new one. In fact it sounds like Socrates vs. the Sophists. The Sophists believed in education for practical uses, determined by those already in power. Socrates and his followers believed in education for the discovery of universal truths.
They were both wrong. It's not an either/or.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They were both wrong. It's not an either/or.
My point was that it's a universal argument, never resolved even thousands of years later.

But we do both now. It's the idea behind our whole system - you start broadly, then telescope down into the practical. This is true for every major, even for the humanities.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:54 AM

6,200 posts, read 2,740,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
There are grown adults who think New Mexico isn't a part of this country.
I went to New Mexico a few years ago and had a few people ask me if I had my passport ready. It was almost to the point where I wondered if NM had seceded and I had missed the news.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,924,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

So many valuable lessons today for USA
  • Education, school structure and delivery
  • Healthcare
  • Politics
  • Economy

Wonderful learning / changing / growing / opportunity in many sectors.

Are we listening?

Will we act?

Will we complacently roll-over and carry-on, doing and promoting what we know does NOT work?.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:40 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,339,858 times
A lot of occupations that keep the economy rolling along only require on-the-job-training, such as truck drivers, retail workers, cooks, warehouse workers, etc. Others may require a degree of specialized training (heavy/specialized equipment operators, welders, etc.)

Obviously fields like medicine, law, engineering, the sciences, and similar will always demand college. But in some cases, aren't we specifying a college degree for some jobs that only require a reasonably intelligent, trainable person?

Old 08-23-2020, 12:49 PM

4,260 posts, read 1,135,651 times
Quote:

But in some cases, aren't we specifying a college degree for some jobs that only require a reasonably intelligent, trainable person?
It's simply part of a competitive employment process (and may be tightened relative to the number of applicants). It's also subjective as to what constitutes a 'reasonably intelligent' person; normally, (a successful) college background is most indicative of such - particularly when there's not much else to go on i.e. lack of experience.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:12 PM

40,251 posts, read 49,764,345 times
It seems to me that if formal education went away tomorrow, the smart people and the average people would educate themselves, either though book learning, or other skills. Isn’t that what people did for centuries?

My maternal grandparents were raised on farms. They were born in the 1880s. He completed 2nd grade and my grandmother 8th grade. I believe my grandfathers education continued at home once he had learned to read and write. I remember that his handwriting was beautiful. As an adult, he worked for the same company for 40+ years and raised four children.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
A lot of occupations that keep the economy rolling along only require on-the-job-training, such as truck drivers, retail workers, cooks, warehouse workers, etc. Others may require a degree of specialized training (heavy/specialized equipment operators, welders, etc.)

Obviously fields like medicine, law, engineering, the sciences, and similar will always demand college. But in some cases, aren't we specifying a college degree for some jobs that only require a reasonably intelligent, trainable person?
Having actually tested the difference, it's pretty big. I manage employees whose job is basically database operations and other types of information management and administrative support.

In theory I don't see why a reasonably sharp high school student can't do the job. In practice a bachelors really is needed.

They need to learn to manipulate a few computer systems and translate that data into reports. We have manuals for how to do everything with the systems. All they really need beyond that is Office software for the reports.

When we had the requirements at Associates degree, most of them crashed and burned. The bachelor and higher candidates do much better. Far more initiative and self-direction. The lower the education level, the more CONSTANT managment they needed from me. All the time. It was worth the moderate wage premium to hire college graduates who don't need their hands held all the time.

Last edited by redguard57; 08-23-2020 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or