Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 05:19 AM

8 posts, read 8,583 times

Advertisements

Education sometimes seems like an obsession to some people. They spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about their child’s education. The politicians don’t shut up about it. The internet constantly has a conversation going. It’s often a topic for small talk.

Some are in awe of it. Some chase it for money. Some chase it for power.

It’s a biggy in mate selection.

Was the topic of educating the children and importance of it such a big thing say 100+ years ago?

What’s the end goal?

How smart do we as a society want to become?

Could life get BORING once the power of the nternet is basically integrated into our minds?

It’s like the concept of memes....I can barely lift an eyelid to look at one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 05:44 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
There's a book that makes the case that college education isn't so much about learning, but intelligence, conformity and conscientiousness.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:02 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Yes, without a doubt.

And the funny thing is that most people want education for their kids (send them to schools in towns where yearly property taxes are more than a new car) not so they can be more intelligent or integrate better into society ... but so they can 'rise above the competition' and make a higher salary.

Education form high school and beyond as it is currently composed is comprised of things that people will never use on a daily basis and is used as a measuring stick for 'how smart you are'.

Who cares if you know the meaning of esoteric words and how to use them in context as long as you can get your point across?

Who cares if you know the capital of all of the countries in Africa?

Most engineers never use calculus, yet if you want to be a doctor, you have to take calculus?

Classes that would be useful...

YEARS of applied Spanish and/or Chinese. Speaking another language would increase the ability to help others, find jobs, and maybe even find love.

More music and arts classes.

Real life experience in day jobs... as early and often as possible, possibly as credits for high schoolers or even junior high. People go through sometimes go through 8 or more years of post-secondary school without having worked a single day in that profession.

C'mon people life should not be about culling the weak from the strong ... it's about finding the most people their fit.

Last edited by jobaba; 08-15-2020 at 08:14 AM..

Old 08-15-2020, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 8,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yes, without a doubt.

And the funny thing is that most people want education for their kids (send them to schools in towns where yearly property taxes are more than a new car) not so they can be more intelligent or integrate better into society ... but so they can 'rise above the competition' and make a higher salary.

Education form high school and beyond as it is currently composed is comprised of things that people will never use on a daily basis and is used as a measuring stick for 'how smart you are'.

Who cares if you know the meaning of esoteric words and how to use them in context as long as you can get your point across?

Who cares if you know the capital of all of the countries in Africa?

Most engineers never use calculus, yet if you want to be a doctor, you have to take calculus?

Classes that would be useful...

YEARS of applied Spanish and/or Chinese. Speaking another language would increase the ability to help others, find jobs, and maybe even find love.

More music and arts classes.

Real life experience in day jobs... as early and often as possible, possibly as credits for high schoolers or even junior high. People go through sometimes go through 8 or more years of post-secondary school without having worked a single day in that profession.

C'mon people life should not be about culling the weak from the strong ... it's about finding the most people their fit.
Interesting reading. You hear people theorize and refer to this or that as a scam, but what if a lot of what makes up things like education or healthcare really are just a scam. A big scam that perpetuates itself because lots of people are catching the falling money.

Perhaps in our push for all things education and to be #1 — we have taken out some of the natural rhythm out of life. The verve...the gusto...whatever.

Look at some old show like Andy Griffith — Andy wasn’t constantly all over Opies back about education. Did Andy even have a college fund for Opie? Who knows.

In the end, I get this feeling that things have a way of balancing themselves...perhaps that’s why throwing more and more attention and money at something can sometimes end up being counterproductive.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:03 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
One hundred years ago? 1920. People definitely wanted an education. But back then a lot of jobs only required a correspondence course beyond the high school diploma. People who had the money went to college because that's what people did. For immigrants, education has always been the key to get out of poverty.

Education is supposed to produce a "well rounded individual", at least that's what I was always told. You don't just learn what you're interested in, you study other subjects too. And with all the emphasis on technology now, what happens to the poor individual who has little interest in technology beyond day to day life? There are a lot of people who would be miserable if they hadn't been able to study and experience the arts, for instance. The arts provide an emotional outlet and a lot of pleasure to many people.

Education is or should be about acquiring an appreciation and enjoyment of learning and knowledge. We need to get it back into a healthy balance.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:20 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,398 times
Education is something than an individual has more control and influence over in this world. There are other factors that are more meaningful. However, as there is increasing competition, and especially for those without social capital, this is one factor than an individual may work on to try to improve their outcomes in life. I am talking about formal education and education to improve oneself (personal, etc.).

Old 08-16-2020, 01:00 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
No. In a world in which the best educated countries will outperform those less so education is absolutely not overrated.

In fact the opposite is true. Most K-12 kids have parents who are partially or fully disengaged and some who are willfully belligerent towards education.

Our K-12 outcomes yield nothing short of a national security problem.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:16 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
No. In a world in which the best educated countries will outperform those less so education is absolutely not overrated.

In fact the opposite is true. Most K-12 kids have parents who are partially or fully disengaged and some who are willfully belligerent towards education.

Our K-12 outcomes yield nothing short of a national security problem.
Agreed, but disengaged parents explain only part of the problem. Speaking of IQ is anathema most of the time, particularly in education, but IQs are dropping indeveloped countries. This leads to natural question: are we asking the worst-performing kids to learn things and do things that they are not capable of learning or doing? The other obvious question is, "Why are IQs dropping, and even if we can figure this out, can our education system do anything to reverse it?" My guess is "yes" to the former and "no" to the latter. I suspect we are headed to an increasingly oligarchal, feudalistic society. I think we already see some of this dystopic reality in our major cities and surrounding 'burbs.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:23 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,545,735 times
Yes it has swung too far. My cousin always avoided school, got his GED, went to college by correspondence in the military... and it one of the smartest people I know. And has good jobs now without a big school degree.

He had more time to explore things naturally and I think the ultimate result of that was a more focused and intelligent mind.

I also think the curriculum today is an utter waste of time and needs to be revised and condensed

Old 08-16-2020, 01:49 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Agreed, but disengaged parents explain only part of the problem. Speaking of IQ is anathema most of the time, particularly in education, but IQs are dropping indeveloped countries. This leads to natural question: are we asking the worst-performing kids to learn things and do things that they are not capable of learning or doing? The other obvious question is, "Why are IQs dropping, and even if we can figure this out, can our education system do anything to reverse it?" My guess is "yes" to the former and "no" to the latter. I suspect we are headed to an increasingly oligarchal, feudalistic society. I think we already see some of this dystopic reality in our major cities and surrounding 'burbs.
BTW - that's a great post......

I'm on terrible internet today....looking things up takes forever.

I haven't read anything about Flynn Effect reversal if you will in a while. The last bit I did read pertained to Norway. The take in Norway is that falling IQ is nearly all quantified within two areas....dysgenic fertility (hope I got the term right and it's a fancy way of saying lower IQ people are having more kids) and immigration. I'll see if I can find that piece.

Also has IQ fallen in The US - last I read it had flatlined but not fallen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education