U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 06:43 PM

7,592 posts, read 3,409,405 times

Advertisements

Schools opening up in person (& their staff and students) are the canaries in the coal mine. Which why I am keeping my son home. I will reevaluate in a few weeks (his school started in person yesterday).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 07:01 PM

3,215 posts, read 4,246,813 times
My wife is 61, which places her in a higher risk group for mortality from Covid. She is also a Para-Professional in the Public School system where she is assigned to work with the most academically challenged and violence/assault prone students.

After 25 years in the job, hardly ever taking a day off, she has enough Personsal Days banked to take a Medical Risk or Personal Leave for the entire 2020/2021 School Year.

School starts in two weeks, she has not yet been notified of her classroom assignment for the coming year, and has not decided what her course of action will be.

Schools will be starting in a Virtual Mode (alI students at home), but the District's goal is to be in Hybrid Mode (students in the classroom 2 days per week and virtual from home 3 days per week) within a month.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:14 PM

20,295 posts, read 25,394,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
The J.O. Combs Unified School District in Arizona canceled plans to reopen on Monday, August 17, after widespread backlash from teaching staff.

"Due to these insufficient staffing levels, schools will not be able to reopen on Monday as planned," Superintendent Gregory A. Wyman said in a Friday statement.

https://news.yahoo.com/arizona-schoo...120544783.html
I do not blame them.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:17 PM

20,295 posts, read 25,394,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
This will contribute to the end of the public school system.
Parents are having to find alternatives to their childrens education because teachers won't go back to school.
They will not pay for those and also fund public schools. At least not for long.
Public schools have been failing children for some time anyway.Good time for big change.
That is BS. These teachers are correct to fear for their lives.

We have a pandemic. No cure. No vaccination. A year without school will not kill our children.

COVID -19 can and will.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:14 AM

4,590 posts, read 4,156,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A year without school will not kill our children.
A year? Seriously? We may have one or more vaccines by December 2020. There is no reason to think we need to quarantine all children in the country for a year.

And since you brought it up, a year without school will kill our children. How many children are suffering physical, sexual, and emotional abuse or neglect right now? Being out of contact with mandated reporters such as teachers, the abuse continues. It's killing children. Not the children of wealthy two-parent families, but poor children in trailer parks and ghettoes everywhere. Please consider the children.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:34 AM

5,353 posts, read 10,239,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Being out of contact with mandated reporters such as teachers, the abuse continues. It's killing children. Not the children of wealthy two-parent families, but poor children in trailer parks and ghettoes everywhere. Please consider the children.
If that were a REAL Concern of US (It is not -- as it is dumped as an additional duty upon mandated reporters, instead of handled directly), we would handle this very real problem Upfront -- not maybe-so, maybe-no, half-assed, after-the-fact mandatory reporter system.

US >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg

Old 08-19-2020, 08:21 AM

20,732 posts, read 8,077,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
well – that’s a little over-drama for the reality.

Let me first say: COVID kills people. It does. And it’s contagious. It is.

But on an individual basis – on person at a time – your risk is very – very – low. As a teacher, there must be dozens of things you can catch from children that are (and always were) more likely to kill you can COVID. Even salmonella from the café food is more deadly than COVID. Teachers did indeed sign up for death on the job, in the form of flu, mumps, measles, malaria, hepatitis, gunshots, and many others. Always a risk. Always. The problem with COVID is the sheer number of sick people – not the “deadly-ness.” Lots of things are more deadly. As a child – the risk is greater to be injured or die in the car on the way there than to get seriously ill or die of COVID.

As a large group – it’s a problem. Why? We don’t have enough hospital beds to support an entire sick community. And a very efficient way to infect your entire community on the same day is to send a few super spreader asymptomatic TEACHERS to the classroom, so 30 or so kids can transport it at once to mom and dad and gramma. One kid – one teacher – one time – odds are quite low. 30 kids – one teacher over and over again – eh, greater odds. We’re going to see lots of closures and quarantines. But this is “baked in” as just another step on the way to getting most folks slowwwwly infected. Your odds of avoiding forever are near zero.

But – as I said – on an individual basis, there is no need to over-react. The odds of you – personally – getting seriously ill or dying because of school are very – very – low.
Very good post, which I will rep if I can. Again asymptomatic thread is a thing, but I'm guessing only with very close contact. I doubt that one asymptomatic, non-coughing teacher can spread the virus to a whole classrrom.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:19 AM

4,590 posts, read 4,156,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
If that were a REAL Concern of US ... we would handle this very real problem Upfront -- not maybe-so, maybe-no, half-assed, after-the-fact mandatory reporter system.
OK, I'm listening -- "Handle it up front", in what way?

Old 08-19-2020, 09:32 AM

7,391 posts, read 1,990,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Very good post, which I will rep if I can. Again asymptomatic thread is a thing, but I'm guessing only with very close contact. I doubt that one asymptomatic, non-coughing teacher can spread the virus to a whole classrrom.
That's right..you are GUESSING. Reality may be a completely different story.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:36 AM

5,353 posts, read 10,239,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OK, I'm listening -- "Handle it up front", in what way?
Your question is how to handle preventative Health and Welfare checks on 100% of US Children -- totally independent of schools, churches, civic organizations, and other second hand sources?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or