U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2020, 09:43 AM

4,590 posts, read 4,156,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Your question is how to handle preventative Health and Welfare checks on 100% of US Children -- totally independent of schools, churches, civic organizations, and other second hand sources?
Sorry, I thought you had an idea to share. Never mind.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 10:14 AM

5,353 posts, read 10,239,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Sorry, I thought you had an idea to share. Never mind.
I was trying to bring clarity to the question to start. But as you say, Never Mind.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:23 AM

20,732 posts, read 8,077,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's right..you are GUESSING. Reality may be a completely different story.
So let's all hide under our sheets until the whole country is Covid-free?

Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 AM

19,658 posts, read 16,253,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm down here in Texas. Our school district, decided to be the guinea pig and go for a full scale reopening instead of doing remote like everyone else around here. Both me and the wife work so we decided to go ahead and take the risk and send the kids to school. Well yesterday, my third grader's teacher sent us an email saying that she was going to quarantine herself out of "an abundance of caution" because she came into contact with a positive covid person. Now we are seriously re evaluating if this was a good idea sending the kids in. Plus I feel for the teachers. They are not soldiers who sign up knowing that death is a possibility of the job. I dont blame them one bit for saying no thanks on sacrificing their lives.
But, what makes teachers different than essential workers that have been on the job since March without a break? Here, the Hostess factory has continued throughout the "pandemic", and I really question "essential" since snack cakes, well, people could do without them for the better. The fast food workers, those that work in the liquor stores, or the pot stores, the grocery stores the big box stores, etc. also did not sign on for "death" . (mortality rate is .01% not 1%, .01%) 17+ people over 100 have recovered from it. The good that may come out of this is that the children will continue to stay at home as the parents will have the "bugs" worked out of them staying at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
A lot of private schools have gone under since the pandemic has reduced or eliminated the subsidies from church attendance. The taxpayers will bear the burden for taking these kids in.
I don't understand why that would be an issue. All of the kids are entitled to a free education funded by the taxpayers, so the "burden" of the children coming from private schools is no more of a "burden" to the taxpayers than those that have been attending public schools.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:23 PM

136 posts, read 32,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is BS. These teachers are correct to fear for their lives.

We have a pandemic. No cure. No vaccination. A year without school will not kill our children.

COVID -19 can and will.
Nothing bs about it. Parents will have to find alternatives if public school teachers will not teach. Some will home school, some will send their kids to private school but people will not continue to pay for teachers not teaching and vacant schools.
If this is a blip and a vaccine is here soon it might not be too terrible for public schools.
If it continues public schools are in for some big changes .

Old 08-19-2020, 04:01 PM

3,355 posts, read 3,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
But, what makes teachers different than essential workers that have been on the job since March without a break? Here, the Hostess factory has continued throughout the "pandemic", and I really question "essential" since snack cakes, well, people could do without them for the better. The fast food workers, those that work in the liquor stores, or the pot stores, the grocery stores the big box stores, etc. also did not sign on for "death" . (mortality rate is .01% not 1%, .01%) 17+ people over 100 have recovered from it. The good that may come out of this is that the children will continue to stay at home as the parents will have the "bugs" worked out of them staying at home.

I don't understand why that would be an issue. All of the kids are entitled to a free education funded by the taxpayers, so the "burden" of the children coming from private schools is no more of a "burden" to the taxpayers than those that have been attending public schools.
Many essential workers have contracted the virus, many sickened, a more than a few died. Think of what these workplaces have in common that they don't have in common with big box store workers: meat packing plants, nursing homes, prisons, and schools. I'll be back later to see if you get it. I have a few online submissions to grade before I have to cook.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:30 PM

4,902 posts, read 3,317,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
A lot of private schools have gone under since the pandemic has reduced or eliminated the subsidies from church attendance. The taxpayers will bear the burden for taking these kids in.
Unfortunately, that sounds about right. Parents don't want to pay very high prices for private school, only for the school year to get reduced to a partial experience through virtual classes. Granted, the pandemic was a curveball, but still, until it's safe to gather, options will be severely limited.

Quote:
A year? Seriously? We may have one or more vaccines by December 2020. There is no reason to think we need to quarantine all children in the country for a year.
Uhmm, pandemic? Dangerous? 173K deaths in the US and counting? If we can get a vaccine sooner than later, great! Otherwise, let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Quote:
And since you brought it up, a year without school will kill our children. How many children are suffering physical, sexual, and emotional abuse or neglect right now? Being out of contact with mandated reporters such as teachers, the abuse continues. It's killing children. Not the children of wealthy two-parent families, but poor children in trailer parks and ghettoes everywhere. Please consider the children.
The problem is the family at home. That needs to be addressed. Opening schools is just addressing the symptom, not the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
So let's all hide under our sheets until the whole country is Covid-free?
You're free to do so. The rest of us miss going to bars, movies, school, etc., but we're still socializing safely, going out for essential stuff like groceries and medical visits. We can't do things like open up mass gatherings until it's safe to do so.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:49 PM

20,295 posts, read 25,394,113 times
Quote:
A year? Seriously? We may have one or more vaccines by December 2020. There is no reason to think we need to quarantine all children in the country for a year.

And since you brought it up, a year without school will kill our children. How many children are suffering physical, sexual, and emotional abuse or neglect right now? Being out of contact with mandated reporters such as teachers, the abuse continues. It's killing children. Not the children of wealthy two-parent families, but poor children in trailer parks and ghettoes everywhere. Please consider the children.
At least a year.

The children ARE what I am thinking about. The teachers are also on my mind. I don't have an answer. School is not a day care center. What it can become is an incubator for disease.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
At least a year.

The children ARE what I am thinking about. The teachers are also on my mind. I don't have an answer. School is not a day care center. What it can become is an incubator for disease.
Schools have always been "incubators for disease". Why not shut them all down permanently?

Children actually die from abuse, neglect, and depression. They do not die from covid-19.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Uhmm, pandemic? Dangerous? 173K deaths in the US and counting? If we can get a vaccine sooner than later, great! Otherwise, let's not count our chickens before they hatch.
Children don't die from covid-19. They recover. There is no reason to quarantine children who don't have the disease.

Quote:
The problem is the family at home. That needs to be addressed. Opening schools is just addressing the symptom, not the cause.
Well then, what's your plan for addressing the problem at home? You don't want children going to school because of covid-19. Are social workers expected to pay visits to each child in the country just to check on them? How often? Should they visit all homes including two-parent middle class homes, or just the trailer parks and ghettoes? Is it healthy to have social workers going from house to house, potentially spreading the disease from house to house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or