U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 12:02 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,364,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Very good post, which I will rep if I can. Again asymptomatic thread is a thing, but I'm guessing only with very close contact. I doubt that one asymptomatic, non-coughing teacher can spread the virus to a whole classrrom.
A single pre-symptomatic, non-coughing individual at a wedding not far from me has so far resulted in at least 31 other symptomatic infections in people ranging in age from 4 to 78.

Opening the schools is a Very Bad Idea.

Children are raging petri dishes of disease and parasites.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 01:28 PM

7,859 posts, read 11,582,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
A single pre-symptomatic, non-coughing individual at a wedding not far from me has so far resulted in at least 31 other symptomatic infections in people ranging in age from 4 to 78.

According to a recent research papers in the Journal of Pediatrics and by Massachusetts General Hospital, children can be significant driver of infection for CoVid-19.

Here is a video in which a British observer discusses it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xOO9t5HWYs

Old 08-21-2020, 03:02 PM

5,000 posts, read 7,757,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm down here in Texas. Our school district, decided to be the guinea pig and go for a full scale reopening instead of doing remote like everyone else around here. Both me and the wife work so we decided to go ahead and take the risk and send the kids to school. Well yesterday, my third grader's teacher sent us an email saying that she was going to quarantine herself out of "an abundance of caution" because she came into contact with a positive covid person. Now we are seriously re evaluating if this was a good idea sending the kids in. Plus I feel for the teachers. They are not soldiers who sign up knowing that death is a possibility of the job. I dont blame them one bit for saying no thanks on sacrificing their lives.
Most woohan red death positive people feel few if any symptoms. This whole gig is designed to panic the populace, panicked people are easily herded.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:42 PM

12,500 posts, read 6,927,182 times
Many schools who opted for 100% line learning don’t have enough computers available for the students due to a nationwide laptop shortage. This is already not going well at all.
https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-ed...f77d68241.html

Old 08-21-2020, 04:59 PM

20,301 posts, read 25,398,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Having all the kids going back into the school at once seems stupid without a cure right now.

But it can't be that hard to figure out a way for the schools to operate at full capacity. Even if the students & possibly teachers are at home. Heck the DNC is managing to meet remotely.

Each teacher can have a virtual meeting/class to teach. Then possibly make arrangements for assignments/testing to have a limited number of students in school at a time.

IE: A class with 25 students can be divided into five classes to keep distance.

The current herding videos/photos we see can't continue.
PLUS 1 for you! "STUPID" is just the beginning.

Moronic? Idiotic? I can not think of words strong enough to describe what a return to school this year.

Just forget school.

In the scheme of things, a pandemic of a virus that is not even remotely under control - is just absurd.

I care about children. I care also about teachers, who have a difficult time as it is and are not payed nearly enough for their efforts and education.

Also, I care about the support staff, cafeteria workers, janitors, maintenance people, para-professionals - ALL of the individuals who go into making a school function.

So, we risk the health and lives of ALL of these people? And their families?

WHY? Because we have a dwindling and almost not existant middle class? We have no subsidised child care? Our country, our wages, EVERYTHING - is stuck in the 1950s.

Nothing wrong with the 1950s. Great time to have a family. At that time, the very wealthy payed their FAIR SHARE of EXPENCES. They payed their taxes.

This country has gone in the WRONG direction.

When did the super rich become our "heroes"?

Old 08-21-2020, 06:06 PM

9,817 posts, read 8,350,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What is this "full pay for doing less than a full job"? My grandson is doing distance learning but his teachers are probably spending more time teaching than they did before.
It's harder work than normal teaching since they've jumped into distance learning in the middle of the year without preparation or developing the tools for it. They'll have to teach students how to navigate the online environment in addition to the subject matter.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:34 PM

20,748 posts, read 8,077,103 times
Quote:
Children can and do infect others even though they may be asymptomatic. A new study found that kids have a higher viral load in their respiratory tract than hospitalized adults. Over half of the adults in this Country have risk factors, i.e age, obesity chronic health conditions. Even if you want to pretend that all teachers are 25 years old, thin, athletic and healthy most of them have family members who could are a risk of dying if they catch Covid-19. What do you suggest, should teachers be forced to stay in hotel rooms during the school year so that they don't kill the people in their household?

And this mandatory reporting argument is a little silly given that we allow people to homeschool and you can beat the bejesus out of your kid if you homeschool without ever having to worry about mandatory reporters, so rather than trying to use this as a reason to force teachers back into the classroom when it's unsafe you should start a campaign to ban homeschooling?
  1. How many school years do you propose to cancel?
  2. How long do we hide under our sheets?

Old 08-21-2020, 07:31 PM

20,301 posts, read 25,398,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

THIS! ^^^^^^^ We do not know "how long".

We are not sitting in the back of a mini-van or station wagon, asking our parents repeatedly "Are we almost there? When will we be there?"

Those are typical "kid questions" and actually there are answers.

Adults right now have NO ANSWERS.

I agree with zymer - the opening school is nothing short of a terrible idea. Really? Who the hell knows?

A poster said that there will never be a cure or a vaccination. Are they privvy to some information that the rest of us are not?

School and learning are very important. They are not important enough to put our children at risk, nor to put the lives of educators and other support staff, at risk.

Teachers are not "First Responders", nurses or doctors. They did not sign on for such a dangerous occupation.

Returning to school right now is arbitrary and crazy.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:34 PM

36,418 posts, read 16,940,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
  1. How many school years do you propose to cancel?
  2. How long do we hide under our sheets?
I'm not hiding under my sheets, sorry if you are... I figure if everyone would sacrifice their fuhreedum for maybe two months; and wear a mask and maintain social distancing we could starve the virus of a host and open all the schools.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:45 PM

20,748 posts, read 8,077,103 times
Quote:
I'm not hiding under my sheets, sorry if you are... I figure if everyone would sacrifice their fuhreedum for maybe two months; and wear a mask and maintain social distancing we could starve the virus of a host and open all the schools.
And next your argument is going to be that Trump rushed the vaccine, that greedy pharma rushed the vaccine, and you will want another delay.

First the lockdown was until the hospitals were overwhelmed. The goalposts kept moving until people rebelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or