U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 11:31 AM

8,211 posts, read 4,637,665 times

Advertisements

It's not safe to go to school. But it's safe to play football, volleyball, and other fall sports. It's safe for the cheerleaders to do their thing. Safe for the coaches, players, and parents.

Safe on the practice fields. Safe on the bus. Safe at the game.

But its not safe for those same kids to be in class when they aren't playing sports.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 12:36 PM

35,855 posts, read 46,001,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's not safe to go to school. But it's safe to play football, volleyball, and other fall sports. It's safe for the cheerleaders to do their thing. Safe for the coaches, players, and parents.

But its not safe for those same kids to be in class when they aren't playing sports.
A cynic would say that we see what priorities have been set.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:01 PM

17,448 posts, read 9,750,770 times
Quote:

What zip code is that? In my zip code, all sports are suspended until spring. If a vaccine isn’t available before then in sufficient quantity, it’s done for the year.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What zip code is that? In my zip code, all sports are suspended until spring. If a vaccine isn’t available before then in sufficient quantity, it’s done for the year.
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202008210121

https://www.phillyvoice.com/piaa-pen...d-19-pandemic/

https://globegazette.com/sports/ihsa...a8d519593.html

Old 08-25-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For me, state of Tennessee.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A cynic would say that we see what priorities have been set.
Possibly. There does seem to be a general consensus that the parents want their kids back in school so that parents can go back to work. There's a lot of parents who can't work from home due to their jobs, and in most cases these are the parents who can't afford the income hit.

Even though I'm in a job where I can work from home, I've been back in the office for the month (school starts end of July around here) covering for parents who have to be home with their kids.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Possibly. There does seem to be a general consensus that the parents want their kids back in school so that parents can go back to work. There's a lot of parents who can't work from home due to their jobs, and in most cases these are the parents who can't afford the income hit.

Even though I'm in a job where I can work from home, I've been back in the office for the month (school starts end of July around here) covering for parents who have to be home with their kids.
When I answered I was more in college mode and thinking of the (I think) Big 10 coach who was upset that his players might be infected by having other students on campus.

I said from the beginning that schools couldn't be closed much longer than the 4th Quarter last year because parents wouldn't be able to be at home during on line continuity.

This year is just one more reason to be glad I retired. Watching what Mrs. NBP is going through tying to get the school year started is painful and she's computer literate and doesn't have kids yet.

The complaints about "Back to School" lists will certainly be different this year.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:57 AM

4,443 posts, read 1,710,762 times
You gotta ask the right question...More appropriate question about attending classes--What are we worried about?

Scroll down to "Infection Fatality Rate by Age" https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23...age-race-14863 (data summarized from CDC site)

Death rate age 5-9....1 in 100,000; age 10-19...3 per million

Death rate from auto accidents per year-- 1 per 10,000

Old 08-26-2020, 06:08 AM

1,010 posts, read 490,583 times
My state in Australia started getting the kids back to school face to face, one or two days a week back in May. It was supposed to happen for four weeks and build up gradually. After two weeks of this arrangement they decided that in week 5 to get everyone back full time, no choice. Far too many problems with the part time arrangements. When there is a Covid case in a school it normally closes for a couple of days for extra cleaning and fortunately all has been going well. As a friend said, it is either safe for the kids to be at school or it isn’t. Part time suits nobody.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You gotta ask the right question...More appropriate question about attending classes--What are we worried about?

Scroll down to "Infection Fatality Rate by Age" https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23...age-race-14863 (data summarized from CDC site)

Death rate age 5-9....1 in 100,000; age 10-19...3 per million

Death rate from auto accidents per year-- 1 per 10,000
You also have to factor in not just the fatality rate of students but that of the age groups of the teachers. Thirty five asymptomatic kids in a room with a teacher of 50, even with no co-morbidities, is kind of asking for infection. An anecdote of mine-I spent 25 years at the same school over five different classrooms and only one of them had an HVAC system that worked dependably (one room didn't even have ductwork to the room. The contractor "forgot to install them" during the remodel and the GC and school system Building Superintendent's guys "didn't notice" the lack).

Kids, especially younger ones, but don't discount the older kids, are boiling vessels of disease vectors. From runny noses to failure to wash their hands (even if they won't pick up their pencil from the floor because it's "dirty") they spread illnesses from the first day of school until the last day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or