U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 08:41 AM

4,459 posts, read 1,714,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You also have to factor in not just the fatality rate of students but that of the age groups of the teachers. Thirty five asymptomatic kids in a room with a teacher of 50, even with no co-morbidities, is kind of asking for infection. An anecdote of mine-I spent 25 years at the same school over five different classrooms and only one of them had an HVAC system that worked dependably (one room didn't even have ductwork to the room. The contractor "forgot to install them" during the remodel and the GC and school system Building Superintendent's guys "didn't notice" the lack).

Kids, especially younger ones, but don't discount the older kids, are boiling vessels of disease vectors. From runny noses to failure to wash their hands (even if they won't pick up their pencil from the floor because it's "dirty") they spread illnesses from the first day of school until the last day.
Good point-- but look at the data....Death rate in 20-50 group-- 9 in 100,000-- a little better than auto accident rate....Probably, if we analyze the data looking at smaller age divisions, we'd see that only the more ancient of teachers have a rate above an acceptable level. They could be excused from working and compensated rather than keeping the entire teaching force out of work.

The other point to consider is Herd Immunity...It will be of benefit to the whole community to infect as many of these less vulnerable young people as quickly as possible to lessen the chances that the older & vulnerable med problem people will encounter an active case once they come out of hiding.

Politicians shouldn't be making medical decisions. The science says we should open things up quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 08:52 AM

19,686 posts, read 16,268,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's not safe to go to school. But it's safe to play football, volleyball, and other fall sports. It's safe for the cheerleaders to do their thing. Safe for the coaches, players, and parents.

Safe on the practice fields. Safe on the bus. Safe at the game.

But its not safe for those same kids to be in class when they aren't playing sports.
In Kansas also as they played through the summer here with teams from 1 or 2 other states. Rec center was open in town, as was their indoor pool. The kids were seen all over town hanging out in groups from the time they closed school last March.

With the mortality rate, I believe that with so many supposedly asymptomatic, it would be much lower as the greater number of people who had it, the lesser the mortality rate per 1,000.

I hope everyone checks the requirements for homeschooling with their State Department of Education, as there are choices other than what the schools have to offer that may work for some parents/children.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:08 AM

6,212 posts, read 2,744,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Good point-- but look at the data....Death rate in 20-50 group-- 9 in 100,000-- a little better than auto accident rate....Probably, if we analyze the data looking at smaller age divisions, we'd see that only the more ancient of teachers have a rate above an acceptable level. They could be excused from working and compensated rather than keeping the entire teaching force out of work.

The other point to consider is Herd Immunity...It will be of benefit to the whole community to infect as many of these less vulnerable young people as quickly as possible to lessen the chances that the older & vulnerable med problem people will encounter an active case once they come out of hiding.

Politicians shouldn't be making medical decisions. The science says we should open things up quickly.
The science is not saying this. Other countries have had varying success opening up schools, and those that have been successful generally have had low infection rates. Plus, we’ve just received data that at least one person has been reinfected with a new strain of the virus. That suggests that there isn’t really ever going to be a herd immunity if someone can get the virus in March and contract a different strain in July.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:43 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,504,008 times
Thank you for that info. And, that's my state!

Except for soccer and maybe one or two other sports, I don't get the sense that other countries are as gung-ho as we are in the US about sports. Many sports in other countries's schools and universities are done on a casual hobby level and there isn't a whole lot in terms of competition I believe. Competitiveness in sports is done outside of the school institution on a person's/family's own accord.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:07 AM

6,212 posts, read 2,744,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Thank you for that info. And, that's my state!

Except for soccer and maybe one or two other sports, I don't get the sense that other countries are as gung-ho as we are in the US about sports. Many sports in other countries's schools and universities are done on a casual hobby level and there isn't a whole lot in terms of competition I believe. Competitiveness in sports is done outside of the school institution on a person's/family's own accord.
Sports are huge in Japanese high schools, probably at the same level as they are in the US. Each year they have the big Inter High (national) tournament/festival that kids really want to attend. It is highly competitive. I think they canceled Inter High this year due to the virus, as it is usually a summer event. I think it is the primary scouting event for universities for talented student athletes.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:36 PM

2,890 posts, read 921,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You also have to factor in not just the fatality rate of students but that of the age groups of the teachers. Thirty five asymptomatic kids in a room with a teacher of 50, even with no co-morbidities, is kind of asking for infection. An anecdote of mine-I spent 25 years at the same school over five different classrooms and only one of them had an HVAC system that worked dependably (one room didn't even have ductwork to the room. The contractor "forgot to install them" during the remodel and the GC and school system Building Superintendent's guys "didn't notice" the lack).

Kids, especially younger ones, but don't discount the older kids, are boiling vessels of disease vectors. From runny noses to failure to wash their hands (even if they won't pick up their pencil from the floor because it's "dirty") they spread illnesses from the first day of school until the last day.
Not to mention, they can take it home to family members. Take it wherever they go in public. Etc. Even if we're not concerned about the kids, we should be concerned about all of the people they'll be coming into contact with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or