U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 02:57 PM

4,952 posts, read 1,211,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Roller skate nights? How old are you? Roller skating went by the wayside ages ago. In my experience school dances are not couple oriented. Prom was the only one and many schools especially today are not selling couples only tickets to prom. What high school sports have couple requirements? Never heard of this in my life!

Lol...ita about "roller skate nights". BUT IMO prom was....and still is... couple oriented......even if some ppl without a date decide to go with a friend so they don't lose out on going.

IMO the O.P. has it totally wrong tho....most school events are not centered around couples or dating. It's just the TEENS that age are focused on it! High school is when most date or start to act on their sexuality & figure it all out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 02:59 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,229,884 times
Quote:
Roller skate nights? How old are you? Roller skating went by the wayside ages ago. In my experience school dances are not couple oriented. Prom was the only one and many schools especially today are not selling couples only tickets to prom. What high school sports have couple requirements? Never heard of this in my life!
My high school did a roller skating night a few times, as a retro thing. As for sports, coming to a game with a date really did boost your social status.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:05 PM

4,952 posts, read 1,211,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
As for sports, coming to a game with a date really did boost your social status.

So? The schools didn't make it a couple centered game or event just because some teens sat next to a "date".

Old 09-10-2020, 04:00 PM

12,742 posts, read 11,782,151 times
Quote:
My high school did a roller skating night a few times, as a retro thing. As for sports, coming to a game with a date really did boost your social status.
Roller rink has been closed here for decades. They can't even sell the building. No one roller skates here. Haven't in a zillion years.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:06 PM

1,476 posts, read 377,407 times
Quote:
Roller rink has been closed here for decades. They can't even sell the building. No one roller skates here. Haven't in a zillion years.
And the one near us is booming in non-COVID times but not with HS kids...mostly young kids and their genx or boomer elders.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:41 PM

5,249 posts, read 2,996,733 times
It just doesn't end with education. Post graduation events in one's 20s and 30s are fairly couples centric. Most people at any given point in time are in a relationship with someone. Being in a couple is normal. Not being in a couple is considered abnormal. Yes, a lot of relationships are transient. People are often single at some point, and I think many avoid a lot of couples centric events.

This phenomenon isn't that big of a deal. If you're single, avoid couples centric events and focus on finding a successful relationship.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:43 PM

440 posts, read 110,770 times
I have a daughter in high school and haven't noticed this at all. It seems to be more about friends. And honestly, even back when I was in school in the 80s it was the same--no requirement for couples. Yeah, there were (and are) couples, but it's not like people showing up single/with a group of friends instead of a date to a school event was anything out of the ordinary: even dances.

Now maybe if a person had no friends to hang out with and no date and just hung out by his or herself at an event, that person might feel awkward. but how often does a person have absolutely no friends? I was by no means popular, I was a nerdy girl when it wasn't cool. Even I had friends (and I am still friends with those people today).

Old 09-17-2020, 06:30 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,229,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Now maybe if a person had no friends to hang out with and no date and just hung out by his or herself at an event, that person might feel awkward. but how often does a person have absolutely no friends? I was by no means popular, I was a nerdy girl when it wasn't cool. Even I had friends (and I am still friends with those people today).
I (male) had friends in high school, but they were all guys, rank-and-file popularity-wise, like me. As opposed to, say, football quarterbacks. I didn't have friends who are girls until later in college, when I stopped finding it insulting to have a girl like me just as a friend. (Today, one of my best friends is a woman.) So technically, I could have persuaded my friends to go as a group. But the messages I kept getting time and time again were: "come with a date, or stay the home Covid-19-style". So obviously, I didn't go. The last thing I wanted was to be seen without a date and have my popularity drop a few notches.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-17-2020 at 07:16 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 07:23 PM

440 posts, read 110,770 times
Quote:
I (male) had friends in high school, but they were all guys, rank-and-file popularity-wise, like me. As opposed to, say, football quarterbacks. I didn't have friends who are girls until later in college, when I stopped finding it insulting to have a girl like me as just a friend. (Today, nearly half my friends are women.) So technically, I could have persuaded my friends to go as a group. But the messages I kept getting time and time again was: "come with a date, or stay the home Covid-19-style". So obviously, I didn't go. The last thing I wanted was to be seen without a date and have my popularity drop a few notches.

I didn't have real opposite sex friends until college either. I say "real" because some of my friends had boyfriends who would do things with us as a group. But the reason they were there were as boyfriends to my friend.

It's funny, in college ALL of my friends were male. ha! I met them playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Anyway, I was rank and file too. My friends were mostly other band kids (band kids were not the cool, popular types back then). I had one friend who was an refugee immigrant who didn't speak English when we met her. We took her under our wing so she wouldn't be alone (she's an engineer today and still my friend).

We were not cheerleaders or track stars. We did stuff all the time as a group. If there was any message to "come with a date, or stay home" We ignored it. But other people showed up in groups like ours too. Groups of boys would show up single at dances and we would ask them to dance... and they did.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:26 AM

2,536 posts, read 1,357,674 times
We always did things as groups of friends and I graduated 10 years ago. Dances, sporting events...all in groups. There might be couples within the group (I was one), but it was always a group and usually a mix of boys and girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or