Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:22 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

But the point was that the ADD/etc "diagnosis" is often a poor one that is jumped to too quickly as a "quick fix" answer vs being considerd the LEAST likely explanation, which is usually is.....
I truly pity kids today.
I agree, but a diagnosis has to come from a doctor. It CAN NOT be made by a teacher. The teacher can't say, "Your child has ADD" or "You should have your child tested". It puts the district at risk of being held liable for a whole list of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 07:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Although a bit off-topic I've read several comments throughout this thread where the use of corporal punishment was mentioned.

If spanking a child is an effective form of punishment why isn't it used on grown-ups? In certain countries caning is legal and often used but here in the USA we consider that barbaric. But if it works it works, right?

My father was a giant-sized man with forearms as thick as my calves. Whenever I was in trouble with my mother and was subjected to that all too familiar "wait 'till your father gets home" form of psychological torture that's all I could think about. However he never hit me, never, not once. Instead we'd discuss what I'd done and he'd make me explain why I thought it was wrong, what I should've done instead and ultimately make me decide on the appropriate form of punishment. I can recall those conversations quite vividly, the shame I often experienced in having to admit what I'd done and how stupid the logic behind it sounded when spoken out loud and ultimately taught me how to think about my actions and consider the potential consequences.

I'm just not sure that spanking or hitting me would have had the same impact on my life.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Although a bit off-topic
It's almost entirely off topic, actually, and I regret responding to it at all myself. But feel free to start up a thread on it

Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
My wife is a child psychologist, so we know ADHD well (ADD is an old term - the proper diagnosis is named Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - Inattentive Type. NB: I'm an adult psychologist). Yes, ADHD is over-diagnosed. Yes, medicating a child needlessly can be problematic.

But, and this is important, untreated ADHD is bad news for your child. Get a good diagnostician and ask lots of questions. Fill out questionnaires honestly, make sure your school gets their questionnaires back to the assessor.

The second worst thing that could happen to your child is having undiagnosed ADHD. The first worst: having untreated ADHD because you were too willful to go to a professional. My 2¢.
I agree that many kids are improperly diagnosed, as there can be many reasons for children being overstimulated and inattentive. As you said though, it's awful for a child to go untreated because their parent/parents refuse to listen. Having had 4 children in school (one still in jr. high), I have run across a few kids who should have been medicated or at least, evaluated carefully. One child, most especially, comes to mind. My daughter watched him for his mother a couple of times and I worked with him in the grade school music program.

Several people, including myself, tried to talk to his mom, begged her to seek help for him....she refused. This poor boy.....all you had to do was look into his eyes to see that he didn't WANT to be getting in trouble all of the time...he really wanted to behave, but just couldn't. No one wanted their children around him...including me! He was DANGEROUS! This boy was completely out of control, simply reacting without the "ability?" to stop himself from endangering himself and others.....biting, hitting people with things, destroying property, constantly disrupting every class, every day. I actually told my daughter that if she wanted to watch him, she would have to go to THEIR house, that I would NOT have him at our home, terrorizing and hurting her younger siblings....he was that bad. He was unable to participate in any organized sport or other activity.

Finally, in the 6th grade, the mom took him in for an evaluation and he was put on medication. You would never know that he is the same young man. Seriously, he is the kindest, most responsible child, becoming quite popular, and is now on the jr. high football team and doing excellently. His mom, at the first football game said, '"I should have listened. I can't believe how stupid I was. You see, once in a while, my NOW son was present, so I just thought maybe it was outside influences or my dysfunctional relationships that were causing him to act like that. I really had no idea how he was behaving when I wasn't around...just thought other people were overreacting. It's like he's a whole different, wonderful kid. God I wish I hadn't waited so long. It's MY fault that he terrorized everyone around him just because I couldn't face the fact that there was something wrong!"'

Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
:THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE:

THANK YOU....and beat me to it! Wow somebody else gets it, I almost can't believe it. I do not know and am not saying what the case is (was?) with this specific child of course, but on the whole you are spot on. True cases of "ADD" (ADHD, pick your fav acronym of the day) are rare. Our society has become so lazy and into this "quick fix" mentality that any time someone shows behavioral problems, they immediately lean on thinking it's some kind of "condition" or medical problem vs the child (and the parents, frankly) needing an attitude adjustment. PS that isn't saying the kid is a "bad" at all, but some kids simply need a firmer hand or other ways of getting them to focus more, while others do not. Again no right or wrong there, just diff kinds of kids and so diff styles of working with them are needed.

Unfortunately, so many parents/adults now are so squeamish about "being the parent" and taking a firmer hand when needed in this hypersensitive era that they simply blow it off, no matter how badly it's needed - and who suffers? The kid. Hello, being a parent isn't all cuddles and hugs. Sure that's important, but discipline is just as important - and that means that sometimes being a parent means being "the bad guy" and (gasp) TELLING your child what to do or not to do, not asking......or even (double gasp) yelling at them or punishing them if they cross the line. Oh the horror!

Another possibility that I think can contribute more than many realize and seems to be quite common is a poor diet (typically way too high in sugar, for example). Not saying a kid has to suddenly become a health nut, but I have seen many parents who let their kids eat mostly fast food and salty/sugary snacks and similar junk - then scratch their head about why Johnny is so hyper and bratty. Must be ADD.

And to again repeat and emphasize, I am NOT saying any of this about the OP's child; I am speaking in very general terms. This child may have ADD, can't say. But yes, it is over-diagnosed to a ridiculous degree.
I definitely agree with this post.... I have met a whole lot of kids out there whose parents made IMHO the wrong decision to medicate their child without first trying other ways of handling the situation....diet, THEIR personal behavior modifications, etc. I have only PERSONALLY met a few kids who were definitely in need of medical intervention..... and again, IMHO, these kids were most certainly exhibiting horribly devastating signs of a problem.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 11,689 times
Recently, I was talking with a classmate from my elementary years and she told me her son was diagnosted with a kind of autism that means his son will approach the target but in a long way. It made me laugh! Maybe I'm a fool but what I'm saying but even I like our modern time, I don't like the way the science sort us as we were merchandise. We are human beings and the difference between us is what makes this world interesting and challenging. Now there is a label for every kind of behavior and a medicine for anyone. Our babies are being catalogued and they have to fit a standard, if not they are put on medicine to make all of them iqual as they were robots. All our feelings, thoughts, and behavior are product of a chemical reaction, so my question is, are we going to be a world of robots? I understand that for educators and even for parents is more easier to drive robots. But is it the world we want? Think about it!

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...#ixzz0SWtaaURi

Old 11-11-2009, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,580 times
Default Add?

Hi there!
I have nto read all the other responses so forgive me if this is a repeat. Sorry to hear you are going thru a tough time academically.
First thing I would do as a parent is keep a food journal. and also a media journal.
And then try to keep a school behavior journal. See if anything pops out at you when you compare the three. From reading and talking to various health are prof. I gather that a lot of ADD is really poor diet, dehydration, over stimulation, etc.

HTH!
MAdziesMom

Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Default Ps

Also, with all do respect to the teacher, it might be a difference of personality prefernce in her students. Perhaps he has more energy than a lot of other kids. If she is skilled in what she does, she will find a way to work WITH his tempermant, not try to squash it. There are books available about the four tempermants. I have to read it for an educational class I am taking. Very informative.

Good Luck!!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Default last thing I promise!

and also, medication only tames the symptom. it doesnt clear up the root of the problem. ... just a thought =) ok, I am done now!! That's what I get for doing this during cooling dinner!! haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education