Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 06:53 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,820,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Nope, not on me. The jobs weren't there. I had very few coworkers my age. When I was laid off from my last engineering job, I'd been sending out resumes for four months without a phone call. Lately? I've met young engineers who took a year to find a job.

Before you argue from disbelief about what transmission mechanics and dental hygienists make, look up their pay.
Apparently there is a lot of Ageism in the STEM fields. In fact, exists in all fields

https://lawkm.com/stem-age-discrimin...and-employers/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/b...bs-hiring.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 07:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,585,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I never said anything about staying ahead and staying that way.

With the amount of STEM grads India has and had, they really should have been ahead of the curve a long time ago one would think. At least in the IT field, for quite a while, they had enough workers to flood America's labor market in that industry to really drop the price of wage.

That is quite a lot of workers. Or perhaps they were just lagging behind in the other STEM fields until recently.
Except, they are studying to get a job in STEM. Not passionate about STEM. How about Indian IT worker you speak to that are excited in what they're doing and can elaborate on the field. Most are talking about salaries, moving their families to America, and getting away from their country.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:06 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,357,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Apparently there is a lot of Ageism in the STEM fields. In fact, exists in all fields

https://lawkm.com/stem-age-discrimin...and-employers/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/b...bs-hiring.html
That did seem to be the case. However, this was when I was in my 20s. Almost all my coworkers were old enough to be my dad.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:59 PM

19,591 posts, read 17,879,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
And a career is not *only about money.
An true engineer never wants to be a technician or nurse.
A true engineer should never be driven into those fields unless they want as much.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:13 PM

7,982 posts, read 7,341,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
H1B wages are public data and can be found online. For example, here is the base salary of H1B petitioners from Facebook in 2020:
https://h1bsalary.online/search?sear...ty=&job_title=

They are paid no less than US citizens of the same positions.
OK that's nice for Facebook employees from India. But recently in the news was the Tennessee Valley Authority, a quasi-governmental utility that until the plan was exposed, was going to fire native IT workers and replace them with H1B workers. That's not a lateral move, that's cost-cutting. There have been other reports of H1B workers replacing U.S. born and legal resident workers, at lower salaries in other corporations.

The original purpose of the H1B program was not to make hiring easier for giant corporations. It was to allow those companies to fill positions they otherwise couldn't fill with Americans. There is no reason to think a person from India can write code better than a person from Indiana.

Want to discourage American kids from studying STEM? Fire the ones who graduated and found jobs 5, 10, or 20 years ago and replace them with cheaper foreign workers.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Nope, not on me. The jobs weren't there. I had very few coworkers my age. When I was laid off from my last engineering job, I'd been sending out resumes for four months without a phone call. Lately? I've met young engineers who took a year to find a job.

Before you argue from incredulity about what transmission mechanics and dental hygienists make, look up their pay.
I looked up fresh numbers, although I didn't need to, before my earlier post.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,325,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Quality means more than quantity. If we had 50% of students "studying STEM" then what would that really get us if the students (a) don't have aptitude for the subject matter and (b) don't have any STEM job prospects when they graduate.

There is no shortage of STEM graduates in the U.S. The reason giant corporations are importing STEM workers from India on H1-B visas is to save money, not because of a trained worker shortage.
100% truth.

Its a myth that there is a shortage of STEM degreed people in the USA. American Universities graduate thousands and thousands of STEM workers every year.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
100% truth.

Its a myth that there is a shortage of STEM degreed people in the USA. American Universities graduate thousands and thousands of STEM workers every year.
The problem with this discussion is people think in aggregates when the problem areas are very specific.

There are several STEM areas in which we categorically do not produce enough specifically educated US citizens. A few are.............

1). Computer science......please note I'm not talking about coders or analysts.

2). Medical researchers

3). Medical doctors

4). Nuclear and electrical engineers at the Ph.D level. Actually there are legit shortages at the MS and Ph.D levels across several engineering disciplines.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,325,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The problem with this discussion is people think in aggregates when the problem areas are very specific.

There are several STEM areas in which we categorically do not produce enough specifically educated US citizens. A few are.............

1). Computer science......please note I'm not talking about coders or analysts.

2). Medical researchers

3). Medical doctors

4). Nuclear and electrical engineers at the Ph.D level. Actually there are legit shortages at the MS and Ph.D levels across several engineering disciplines.
There is a shortage of medical schools/medical school enrollment caps which is part of the problem. Also a shortage of nursing schools.

The fact is that it costs more money to run a medical school than it does a law school. With a law school, all you need is a building a law library. Medical schools (and nursing, dental, etc) require a lot more expensive and sophisticated equipment.

I don't think it's as simple as saying not enough Americans want to be doctors.

https://blog.definitivehc.com/factor...ician-shortage

I would not be opposed to the H1-B program if it required employers to only hire people at the 100K or higher salary level. But there are people coming here on H1-B to do very simple, lower paid jobs. This isn't necessary or helpful.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,428,369 times
Quote:
I don't think it's as simple as saying not enough Americans want to be doctors.
Who ever has said that? It is very difficult to get into medical school. Med school acceptance rate overall is 7%.
https://mededits-com.cdn.ampproject....Fstatistics%2F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education