U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM

440 posts, read 110,770 times

Advertisements

So I typed up an overly long question asking for advice on something with my daughter and an AP class she wanted to take but is no longer offered at her school. And in the course of typing it, got my answer. All it took was writing it all out for me to see the clear answer.

But I thought I would ask one question from it all just out of curiosity sake. Does anyone here know of a child who self-taught themselves an AP class with something like Khan Academy and maybe some study guides, took the AP exam, and passed the exam with a 3 or higher?

For the record, I decided not to actively encourage my daughter to do this (that was my question and I wrote an essay about her academic schedule). Once I read my post back to myself I realized she has a full plate this year with three other AP classes and it's probably not a good idea. She complained about not being able to take that class and I mentioned Khan to her once as a possibly if she wanted to take the course and the AP exam. But I am leaving it at that and not bringing it up to her again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 05:53 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,501,419 times
Yeah, definitely not a good idea to try to self study with Khan Academy alone. Khan Academy is great, but those are a lot of other important distractions too.

If she wants/you want her to consider being able to take the AP Exam for math in addition, you could sign her up for college math classes or online math classes although there might not be enough focus on the nuances pertaining to AP Calculus specifically, but it might be enough for a 3.

Another route you can consider is going to a math tutoring center where the tutor specifically focuses on teaching her AP Math, or hire a math teacher to do private tutoring. With private tutoring though, you might need to be able to provide the materials.

I used to teach AP Calc AB and AP Calc BC a bit online, but I had a curriculum to work with too.

If you're in a state that allows for cyber school, you could consider re-enrolling in a cyber school that does offer all AP classes that your daughter is and wants to take.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:49 PM

440 posts, read 110,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Yeah, definitely not a good idea to try to self study with Khan Academy alone. Khan Academy is great, but those are a lot of other important distractions too.

If she wants/you want her to consider being able to take the AP Exam for math in addition, you could sign her up for college math classes or online math classes although there might not be enough focus on the nuances pertaining to AP Calculus specifically, but it might be enough for a 3.

Another route you can consider is going to a math tutoring center where the tutor specifically focuses on teaching her AP Math, or hire a math teacher to do private tutoring. With private tutoring though, you might need to be able to provide the materials.

I used to teach AP Calc AB and AP Calc BC a bit online, but I had a curriculum to work with too.

If you're in a state that allows for cyber school, you could consider re-enrolling in a cyber school that does offer all AP classes that your daughter is and wants to take.
I guess you remember me from my post about my daughter and math classes a while back.

We actually talked about it again at dinner. She brought it up after we talked about our days today and I asked her about school. Doing remote school has some challenges on top of taking a heavy course load. She said she's just going to do her schedule as is and take AP Calc and AP Statistics next year if they let her.

Sort of related, she also wants to drop French in her senior year and take an art class. I told her that's fine with me, but she needs to check with the colleges she wants to go to. Some require just 2 years, others 3, but a few 4 of a foreign language.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:06 AM

3,355 posts, read 3,294,819 times
I read a story a few years ago about a boy who wanted to attend CalTech. His guidance counselor assured him that he was not CalTech material and refused to put him in the AP classes. He studied on his own, then took and passed enough AP tests to get into CalTech, I think as a sophomore. I don't have a link to the story, but I've repeated it often to students who are interested in courses our school doesn't offer.

In short, you don't have to be enrolled in an AP class to take an AP test. There are enough resources on the internet that a capable, motivated student could prepare well enough to earn a qualifying score.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM

2,757 posts, read 1,363,986 times
I tried to self-study two AP tests in junior year (Japanese and Calculus AB) since I thought it would look good to colleges. I started way too late and didn't take enough practice tests, so I got 2's on both (but got 4's and 5's on the tests I actually took the classes for). I have heard of people self-studying and getting good scores, but I think you'd need to treat it like you're actually taking the class, doing a lot of mock homework assignments to solidify the concepts in your head.

Old Today, 12:06 AM

5,401 posts, read 3,870,694 times
IMO the Khan Academy material by itself doesn't go into enough depth to do well on an AP exam. It's a strong review tool for the exams, and provides a good overview of several subjects, but it's pretty superficial. Plus, interacting with experienced AP instructors is invaluable in helping students prepare for the free-response section - even strong essayists generally need practice and guidance to master the art of eking out as high a score as possible.

I knew an AP US History teacher who had an uncanny ability to guess the year's essay topics. That's the sort of help you just don't get from a website.

I took the English Literature and Composition test back when I was in school without having taken an AP English class, and did well on it, but that was after taking a bunch of college prep track English and Lit courses more generally - it wasn't just self-study. Ditto the Spanish test, but I'd been in Spanish classes from 2nd grade through 11th grade in a district with a strong world languages program. I'd also already taken and succeeded with other AP tests previously, so i knew what to expect.

Basically, can a strong student pass an AP test with a 3 or higher without taking the specific corresponding AP class? Sure. Can they do it with Khan Academy alone - doubtful.

Last edited by Frostnip; Today at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education