U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 864 times

Advertisements

Dear friends,

I knew since my own school years in the 90s in Russia that the quality of the school education of our time is rather low. Moreover, the tendency, over the last 100 years, has been the gradual reduction of quality. I understand the principle behind it: make more people "educated", which today literally means "provide them with diploma", at the expense of the quality of the educaion. While I was single, that was a pure curiosity. Now, when I have my own children, it became a very serious problem:
where can I find a school, which will provide my children with a high quality education? Any country is fine, any city is fine, public or private does not matter.

I tried to sketch several criteria, which explain what I mean by "a high quality secondary education". Here they are:

1. Education should be conducted in English. That said, whenever appropriate, the teacher must be free, and encouraged, to use the most suitable language. Definitely, the pupils must master at least 2 languages, including their native. The more the better, but the framework language should be English.
2. The school must clearly communicate the undeniable fact:
god(s) does not exist.
3. The school should not have any kind of a dress code or a uniform, no corporal punishment. It should not spy on the pupils, monitor their online activity and alike.
4. Now I mention what kind of curriculum I want. This is the core curriculum, which is taught to everyone physically fit.
Literature:
School should prepare the pupils to read Joyce. World classics, such as Kafka, Camus, de Coster, Capek, Zamyatin, Orwell, Nabokov, Woolf, Rowling, Aleksievich and many more, should be read in the language of the original. The graduates should be able to write a poem and a novel of their own.
Physical education:
Pupils should be taught dancing, both classical and modern, as well as basic techniques of running, swimming, climbing.
Sciences:
Mathematics and physics should be combined into a single course in the early secondary school, but split later after the pupils acquire basic skills of mathematical analysis.
Economics:
The graduates should have a clear understanding of both how the world financial systems, including bitcoin, work and how to start and run a business. In particular, they should be able to write a business plan and to do accounting.
Law and government:
The graduates should clearly understand how legal systems work, including the British and the continental. They should also know the basics of different branches of law, including criminal, property and corporative law. They should have a clear understanding of how a democratic government works. They should be able to establish governing institutes and efficiently govern a settlement.
IT skills:
The graduates should be able to make a website, using Linux, html, sql and php. They should be able to make a local network, to write a computer program using C/C++ and VB and to write and launch their own blockchain currency.
Arts and crafts:
The pupils should be taught basics of working with metal and wood, both manually and using industrial machines. They should be able to make a radio and a simple computer.

Can you tell me where I have good chances to find such a school? Is all this taught in American schools? In other countries? Maybe, some specific private schools?
Any comments about my criteria of a high quality school education are welcome too.

PS: I am new to this forum. I was looking for an educational forum and online search directed me here. If you can tell me a better place to ask or discuss my question, please, do so.

Last edited by cestx; 09-21-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 09:48 AM

515 posts, read 105,957 times
Based on your exclusionary criteria, there is a simple answer located right here in the United States. Very inexpensive and readily available. Home school your children.

You can teach STEM combined or separated as you choose. Your children can be flying around the room doing pirouettes. They can waltz or tango up and down the ballroom. They can attend lessons in their jammies and fuzzy slippers, no uniforms. You may however want to monitor their online activities as a parent, but definitely not as a teacher. You could add Mark Twain to the reading list. Not sure I would include as many Russian writers as you have, but I guess that's your bias which is perfectly OK when home schooling.

Why would you think that a government sponsored and funded school in any country will provide the best education for your children? Home school them and you have no worries about the curriculum, syllabus, or subversive topics.

The best is that when your children have successfully completed your outlined syllabus, there will be no need for any further education since they will have mastered everything you consider important. Also, because they will launch their own blockchain currency, there will be no need for you or them wo have a paying job since their online activities will pay for all your needs.

That's what make the US wonderful. You have choices and you can pick the solution that you think is best for your family.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:58 AM

8,691 posts, read 4,030,109 times
There's no place on earth where you're going to find all those criteria.

High quality private schools exist all over the US. A few I'm familiar with:

Phillips Academy (several locations)
Concord Academy, MA
St. Grottlesex (look them up)
St. Mark's and Hockaday, Dallas
St. John's and Kincaid, Houston
Casady, OK City
I believe some of the Seven Sisters have prep schools associated with them, but I might be wrong about that.
Trinity, Richmond.

And so on.

These schools would meet most of your criteria and you as a parent will have to step up to the plate and take care of the rest.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 AM

8,691 posts, read 4,030,109 times
You're also assuming your particular children will be capable of taking advantage of this curriculum.

Given the fact of reversion to the mean, it's most likely they'll be more or less average rather than exceptional.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 864 times
@Lillie767:
Thank you for the idea. What do you mean by "home school"? Teach them myself? First, I am not a teacher at all. Second, I am not an expert in everything that I want to be taught. Finally, but no less important, apart from the actual curriculum, the school should teach social skills, for example. I do not think that homeschooling is a good option for me.

As for the literature curriculum, I tried to pick, off the top of my head, the authors, who are the most important today. The list reflects my opinion of what should be taught at school, but is unbiased otherwise. I think that it is equally applicable to the US, China or Nigeria. There is a single Russian author in my list: Zamyatin. I am not a literature expert, but Mark Twain, from my point of view, it purely entertaining reading, which would not fit my list. Moreover, note that the list is partial and I provided it only to convey the idea of what kind of teaching I want. I expect much more to be taught during the literature classes. Whether Mark Twain can be omitted from the curriculum at all, I do not know, but I would not object this. I myself had a great pleasure to read him at home and not at school.

I do not know anything about modern schools. Let along what they teach in different countries. I looked through the British national curriculum. It looks very good, but does not seem to be the kind of thing that I want. I suspect that I will have better chances with private schools.

I have not listed "everything I consider important". I only compiled a list of things, off the top of my head, which I think a modern school graduate must absolutely know.

@turf3:
Thank you for the pointers! I will look them up.
I think that everyone can take advantage of this curriculum. It all depends on the teachers.

Last edited by cestx; 09-21-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-22-2020, 07:12 AM

1,670 posts, read 1,508,128 times
If you want to lighten your load for home schooling with those kind of requirements, consider cyber school combined with your own recipe of home schooling to combine with it. This would be best. Whatever gaps are not filled, you could fill in. I've never heard of a school that specifically encourages the idea of "no god". Usually, non-religious schools tend to be more neutral I think and they just don't focus on religion- especially since a small population of the country is atheist.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:12 PM

515 posts, read 105,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cestx View Post
@Lillie767:
Thank you for the idea. What do you mean by "home school"? Teach them myself? First, I am not a teacher at all. Second, I am not an expert in everything that I want to be taught. Finally, but no less important, apart from the actual curriculum, the school should teach social skills, for example. I do not think that homeschooling is a good option for me.

As for the literature curriculum, I tried to pick, off the top of my head, the authors, who are the most important today. The list reflects my opinion of what should be taught at school, but is unbiased otherwise. I think that it is equally applicable to the US, China or Nigeria. There is a single Russian author in my list: Zamyatin. I am not a literature expert, but Mark Twain, from my point of view, it purely entertaining reading, which would not fit my list. Moreover, note that the list is partial and I provided it only to convey the idea of what kind of teaching I want. I expect much more to be taught during the literature classes. Whether Mark Twain can be omitted from the curriculum at all, I do not know, but I would not object this. I myself had a great pleasure to read him at home and not at school.

I do not know anything about modern schools. Let along what they teach in different countries. I looked through the British national curriculum. It looks very good, but does not seem to be the kind of thing that I want. I suspect that I will have better chances with private schools.

I have not listed "everything I consider important". I only compiled a list of things, off the top of my head, which I think a modern school graduate must absolutely know.

@turf3:
Thank you for the pointers! I will look them up.
I think that everyone can take advantage of this curriculum. It all depends on the teachers.
Despite your lack of teaching credentials, I am certain that the excellent education you received has more than qualified you to teach children how to fingerpaint and read Chekov. Remember, the internet is your friend and can help you expand your mind beyond constricted government sponsored schools. Don't be afraid of the challenge. They're your children. Why not start a school? You've already developed a desired curriculum.

Go for it!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:08 AM

8,633 posts, read 7,808,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If you want to lighten your load for home schooling with those kind of requirements, consider cyber school combined with your own recipe of home schooling to combine with it. This would be best. Whatever gaps are not filled, you could fill in. I've never heard of a school that specifically encourages the idea of "no god". Usually, non-religious schools tend to be more neutral I think and they just don't focus on religion- especially since a small population of the country is atheist.
Agreed. My kids go to a private school that I consider near the top of the national heap, but there is no discussion around religion except that religion and atheism both exist in this world.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 178 times
What about Non-Public Schools? Like this one [mod]link removed, competitor site[/mod]
My wife and I are often not at home (Commander). Here we are looking for an alternative

Last edited by Yac; Today at 12:29 AM..

Old 09-23-2020, 02:32 PM

1,670 posts, read 1,508,128 times
I also noticed your additional P.S. just now.

A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums is a forum I've personally used before. I think it's a good forum for something specifically education related. You could try that.
You could specifically google "Education Forum" or "Teacher Forum" for additional possibilities/outlets/things to consider.

This forum is good because you will get answers from a variety of people. The teacher forum's will be more educationally focused. It's good to refer to a combination of both I think.

I think this forum and the one I recommended will both mainly be focused on the US specifically. I'm not sure how other countries work. Certain countries, even though bigger than the US, might have cultures or internet restrictions that don't really lend themselves well to the idea of a forum. To get perspectives on multiple international education and opinions, you might have to see if individual countries/set of countries have forums dedicated or have a section on education and also be able to type in the primary language of that forum. (Google translate might be an option, but completely not ideal and very cumbersome without detailing the logistics of it all to say the least.)

Any professional who works with international education and could be considered an expert, they might be writing books and researching at universities. Maybe you could look for books that would cater to your needs as well as such professionals are less likely to provide an opinion on forums I think. That doesn't mean you should avoid this forum and other forum(s) as much as you can balance, as part of the process and reality is valuing people's opinions from all walks of life as much as you can and then deciding what you can based on what you have to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or