Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

We have a son who is currently in 5th grade and one of the youngest in his grade. He is doing great academically and behavior wise however, due to several reasons, we are thinking about changing schools and having him finish this year as a 4th grader or starting next year as a 5th grader again (depending on the time of transfer). His new school would be more academically challenging than his current school. Both schools are in the same school district but feed into different high schools. Our son is on board and feels good about this change, likes the new school and even knows a few kids in the new classroom.

The process to do this requires our current principal to recommend retention based on the school psychologist's assessment. However, we already know that they are against it and would not recommend it. It is strictly based on his academic performance.

I have fully researched this topic. I know that preschool/kindergarten time would have been ideal time for retention. I can't change the timing, but my husband and I are certain that our decision is what is best for our child. How do we bypass our current school?

Can we simply unschool and not follow any official homeschooling curriculum - sign him out of his current school (that is about to transition to fully remote learning anyway), and then sign him up in the fall as a 5th grader at a new school. Would we be allowed to do that and do we have a say about his grade level?

We are also thinking about transferring him mid year to a local private school that is ready to admit him as a 4th grader. We are not sure if we were to come back to the district in the fall, what grade would they place him in.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to skip this obstacle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 01:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
What situation are you trying to improve? What problem are you trying to solve?

Old 11-09-2020, 03:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Being in the same district, the new school would get the transcripts (grades) from the old one and place him in 6th. My suggestion based on experience as parent formerly active with a district is that you talk to the principal of the new school, armed with good justification for your request, and let them do the psychologist's assessment. If the principal doesn't agree, go to the superintendent, and ultimately, if necessary, you can get onto the agenda and appeal to the school board. Though you don't give the reasons in your post, you must have some but they will have to be very convincing to overcome the district's policies.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:46 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
No advice here. It’s a terrible idea. I can’t imagine any public school would allow a parent to do this to their kid. You could try a private school. Parents have this illusion that certain schools in a state are more challenging than others, but the schools have the same standards and therefore, teach the same content.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Why not have him start at the correct grade level, and see how he does? He may do fine. He may even enjoy the challenge, if the new school is actually significantly more rigorous. But it may not be, to the extent that you fear. If he knows kids that are in 4th grade now at the other school, he can hang out with them at lunch. He probably knows kids at his current grade level, too.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:23 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper25 View Post
We have a son who is currently in 5th grade and one of the youngest in his grade. He is doing great academically and behavior wise however, due to several reasons, we are thinking about changing schools and having him finish this year as a 4th grader or starting next year as a 5th grader again (depending on the time of transfer). His new school would be more academically challenging than his current school. Both schools are in the same school district but feed into different high schools. Our son is on board and feels good about this change, likes the new school and even knows a few kids in the new classroom.

The process to do this requires our current principal to recommend retention based on the school psychologist's assessment. However, we already know that they are against it and would not recommend it. It is strictly based on his academic performance.

I have fully researched this topic. I know that preschool/kindergarten time would have been ideal time for retention. I can't change the timing, but my husband and I are certain that our decision is what is best for our child. How do we bypass our current school?

Can we simply unschool and not follow any official homeschooling curriculum - sign him out of his current school (that is about to transition to fully remote learning anyway), and then sign him up in the fall as a 5th grader at a new school. Would we be allowed to do that and do we have a say about his grade level?

We are also thinking about transferring him mid year to a local private school that is ready to admit him as a 4th grader. We are not sure if we were to come back to the district in the fall, what grade would they place him in.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to skip this obstacle?
I would really like to know your rationale for holding him back if he is doing great academically and behavior wise. The few times I encountered this in my career it was always males and because of sports. If that’s the case, just forewarning you, any competent administrator is going to fight you to the death over this.

So, here’s the thing, in most states if you “unschool” or even homeschool a child they are not going to just take your word on his placement, they will also use alternative criteria. This will be by using things such his age (which from what you describe will not be an issue), a grade level placement test, and his last grade in a formal school, depending on how long it has been since he attended. If he is gone less than at least half a school year chances are very high they will insist on placing him in the same year cohort he recently left. You will have better luck if you put him in a private school now that is willing to put him in the grade you want and transferring him in to your desired public school after the first grading period next year. The school will have a very difficult time fighting you at that point.

I do, however, ask that you examine your reasons for doing this long and hard to make sure you are doing it for the right reason.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I would really like to know your rationale for holding him back if he is doing great academically and behavior wise. The few times I encountered this in my career it was always males and because of sports. If that’s the case, just forewarning you, any competent administrator is going to fight you to the death over this.
Good point. The OP did mention the child is the youngest in the class...

Old 11-09-2020, 05:01 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good point. The OP did mention the child is the youngest in the class...
Yeah, but someone is always the youngest. And oldest.

With so many states moving their cutoff for school start to September age from as late as December 31st that isn't that much of an issue now. Or maybe it is with kids turning 7 the first week of 1st Grade.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:08 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
No advice here. It’s a terrible idea. I can’t imagine any public school would allow a parent to do this to their kid. You could try a private school. Parents have this illusion that certain schools in a state are more challenging than others, but the schools have the same standards and therefore, teach the same content.
It's not an illusion in any way........some public schools are significantly more challenging that others per state not to mention various quantifiable metrics vary greatly across areas.

FWIIW I think the OP's idea is most likely terrible as well.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
Thank you so much for your replies so far, very helpful.

I will clarify as I didn't describe it correctly in my original post. His emotional and social needs are not being met. When I wrote he is ok behavior wise at school I meant he hasn't had any bad outbursts there, no anti social behavior at school and other extreme things listed on the assessment form used to make a recommendation for retention. We would never let it get that far. However there are many other signs and changes that we as parents see in him. So the school sees his behavior as fine but we know he is not doing ok and we know it's not the right level for him.
So it is not due to sports, but social and emotional needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education