Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 11:06 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
OP what have you done with your physics degree?

Have you won a Westinghouse?
Or a Nobel Prize? Everyone isn't going to the best at everything. It's far more important to be happy than be the best. It's awful lonely at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 11:25 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
OP what have you done with your physics degree?

Have you won a Westinghouse?
I haven't done much professionally with Physics; it also became a hobby of mine, especially astro-physics. For a couple of financial companies I worked for, they demanded proof of a college degree, and I had to present the original diploma. So I guess my non-finance degree still saw some use.

Having said that, there is a small cult in the financial space that believes some physical principles are intertwined with the laws of the stock market, and tries to use those principles to forecast financial market events...

Old 11-28-2020, 11:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
They are no longer history teachers they are indoctrination trainers
I imagine you know this because you are in academia yourself or you study trends in academia as part of a socio-cultural analysis for a think tank.

Either that or you just passively let ultra-right-wing propaganda, projected at a 4th grade vocabulary level, wash over you like a neverending tide. But that would be so pathetically ironic that I'll give you the benfit of the doubt.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:20 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I am a bit concerned because:

1. Career choice for history study seems narrower than other subject studies. Basically teach, or write books.

2. Salary outlook seems mediocre from what I remember.

3. Off the top of my head I don't even know what credentials should be built for college application to this major. For science one can build stuff; for math there are a lot of competitions. What for history?

Occupations:Teachers, librarians, lawyers, civil servants, journalists, writers, editors, managers, and diplomats, for example.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
History Awards

https://aaslh.org/aaslh-announces-20...Excellence.%20

The Award of Excellence which is presented for excellence in history programs, projects, and people when compared with similar activities nationwide.

The Albert B. Corey Award is named in honor of a founder and former president of AASLH, and recognizes primarily volunteer-operated historical organizations that best display the qualities of vigor, scholarship, and imagination in their work.

The 2019 recipient is the Eastern Shore Network for Change in Cambridge, MD.
The HIP (History in Progress) Award is given at the discretion of the awards committee to 5% or less of the total winners of the Award of Excellence. It is for a project that is highly inspirational, exhibits exceptional scholarship, and/or is exceedingly entrepreneurial in terms of funding, partnerships, or collaborations, creative problem solving, or unusual project design and inclusiveness.

The 2019 recipients are the University of North Carolina Greensboro Public History Program, the New-York Historical Society, and the Louisiana State Museum and Goat in the Road Productions.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
those who do not study the past are destined to repeat it.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:31 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I am a bit concerned because:

1. Career choice for history study seems narrower than other subject studies. Basically teach, or write books.

2. Salary outlook seems mediocre from what I remember.

3. Off the top of my head I don't even know what credentials should be built for college application to this major. For science one can build stuff; for math there are a lot of competitions. What for history?
I never thought I would see the day when a parent would be concerned about a student's interest in history.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I never thought I would see the day when a parent would be concerned about a student's interest in history.
I know, right? My parents would have been over the moon because I was obsessed with music and took every music class there was in high school. I got all A's in them and barely passed everything else because I didn't care about those subjects.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:40 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I know, right? My parents would have been over the moon because I was obsessed with music and took every music class there was in high school. I got all A's in them and barely passed everything else because I didn't care about those subjects.
What have we come to? Same with my parents, and their parents. Same with me.
There is almost nothing more venerable than the study of history.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What have we come to? Same with my parents, and their parents. Same with me.
There is almost nothing more venerable than the study of history.
Pretty sure if I majored in English in college, my mother would have wept with joy.....nope I went for music business. She wept alright.....LOL She would have Irish step danced in the streets if I majored in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education