Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 02:09 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,721,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I can barely remember a simple physics formula anymore, much less organic chemistry.
But I think if you took physics, at least you know the concepts of inertia, density, voltage, refraction and so on, and that is already a much better understanding of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 04:07 PM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's weird. Quite some people never took geography in high school, or physics, or chemistry...
Is it unique in the US? I think they are compulsory in most countries.
In the U.S. we study "Social Studies" not Geography. It's been that way since the 1960's and possibly earlier (I graduated HS in 1978).

In New Jersey, in 1978 at least, you needed 100 credits to graduate. Everything was an elective except for 4 years of Gym, 4 years of English, and 2 years of Math. Even Social Studies was not required (at the high school level).

In 4th grade our teacher popped a surprise "map test" on the class. Not sure if it was just her idea or if it was official curriculum. Every kid in the class except me did so poorly (even the other "smart kids"!) they had to study and re-take the test. I got every question right including the extra credit because I am a geography savant. I wonder if any of that 4th grade map studying stuck with anyone.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:50 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,721,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
In the U.S. we study "Social Studies" not Geography. It's been that way since the 1960's and possibly earlier (I graduated HS in 1978).

In New Jersey, in 1978 at least, you needed 100 credits to graduate. Everything was an elective except for 4 years of Gym, 4 years of English, and 2 years of Math. Even Social Studies was not required (at the high school level).

In 4th grade our teacher popped a surprise "map test" on the class. Not sure if it was just her idea or if it was official curriculum. Every kid in the class except me did so poorly (even the other "smart kids"!) they had to study and re-take the test. I got every question right including the extra credit because I am a geography savant. I wonder if any of that 4th grade map studying stuck with anyone.
That is very different from China (when I was a student).

In China, middle school (Grade 7~9):
6 semesters Chinese
6 semesters English (or another language)
6 semesters math
6 semesters biology (botany, zoology, human physiology each 2 semesters)
6 semesters morals and laws
4 semesters physics
4 semesters history
4 semesters geography
2 semesters chemistry

The above are all compulsory. Everyone must take all.
There are also PE, music, fine arts etc. more depending on individual schools.

High school (Grade 10~12):

for all:
6 semesters Chinese
6 semesters English (or another language)
2 semesters biology
2 semesters geography

for science track:
6 semesters math
6 semesters physics
6 semesters chemistry
4 semesters history
4 semesters politics

for arts track:
4 semesters math
2 semesters physics
2 semesters chemistry
6 semesters history
6 semesters politics

There are lots of classes, but some students really learned very little.
The "bad students" are largely ignored in such an educational system. They won't go to college or even high school anyway.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:05 PM

8,565 posts, read 3,791,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's weird. Quite some people never took geography in high school, or physics, or chemistry...
It's extremely 'weird'; only ten states require geography for a high-school diploma. However, physics and chemistry are required/expected for college-bound students, as a whole.

That said, we lag far behind other countries educationally on the World Stage (per the OECD/PISA which measures 15-year-old students' performance in reading, science, math and so on). Yet, (some) people continue to defend/discuss 'engine repair' and 'choir' amidst globalization.

Quote:
It's not the 1960's anymore. It's time to eliminate vocational training in high-school (and require Geography).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 12-07-2020 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-07-2020, 08:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,040,661 times
Ok. This is an old clip. My thoughts...

1) To be fair, naming Asia or Africa as a country isn't THAT bad. Those participants probably eventually got a country.

2) Although it wasn't outright stated, it's implicit that people didn't want to or were not allowed to name the US as the one country. Not knowing a country outside of the US? Not great, but again, I can see it. Not knowing where the US is? That one is bad.

3) That leaves one woman, the brunette, who could not name a single country, and the woman with the pigtails was pretty bad too. So maybe 2 people out of maybe hundreds they pulled aside.

You don't remember this stuff from studying it in school. You lose it.

The only reason I know countries is because I like to travel and so I've at times mapped out countries that I want to go to. For instance, almost nobody can name countries in Africa because nobody wants to go there.

I also know a little bit more because of world news, but TBH I don't follow that nearly as much as I should.

That's the reason I know the states so well. Because I've been to so many of them.

What is more shocking to me is that many people have no desire whatsoever to travel outside the US, and you can bet their geography likely stinks.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:03 AM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It's not the 1960's anymore. It's time to eliminate vocational training in high-school (and require Geography).
You couldn't pick a worse time for that idea. So many working class kids have been tricked into going to college that DC politicians are now seriously discussing "forgiving their debt". We need more vo-tech, not less.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:22 AM

42,678 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:

I had geography class and history class as separate.
I also had grammar/spelling class as separate from reading class.
I also went to school in the 60's-70's so I guess it depended on where you went to school.

Today you have social studies with an emphasis on the social aspect of various cultures.
You have language arts with an emphasis on reading.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:48 PM

10,224 posts, read 6,694,683 times
World Geography may not be a very high priority on some people's education platform.

Heck, there are A LOT of people that live 80+ years, and never leave their BLOCK.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:36 PM

8,565 posts, read 3,791,226 times
Quote:
You couldn't pick a worse time for that idea. So many working class kids have been tricked into going to college that DC politicians are now seriously discussing "forgiving their debt". We need more vo-tech, not less.
What does going to college (or not) have to do with being able to identify the Pacific Ocean on a map - or having (at least) a vague notion of globalization or the world in which one lives?

Old 12-08-2020, 07:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,040,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
What does going to college (or not) have to do with being able to identify the Pacific Ocean on a map - or having (at least) a vague notion of globalization or the world in which one lives?
Not much IMO.

Some people are more curious than others.

Having an interest in travel, foreign culture, world events/news and sports helps.

Especially soccer.

It seems as though a smart person would know a lot of countries, but that is likely due to the fact that well educated people usually like to travel and follow world news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education