Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 08:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This is embarrassing but why is it they are only asking people who appear to be under 40?
To put it in a simple answer

It’s called the dumbing down of America

I bet you most of those blundering fools can rattle off what any of the Kardashians had for lunch on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 10:13 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Many college kids cannot even name or locate all of the states in the USA. I've had some tell me that there are 53 states total, some still say 48. College education today is useless in most cases. It's primarily sports and partying to the students.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:51 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Because they are easy pickin's. They don't have a clue. If they picked older people they might get a bunch, which would spoil the show. Not fair to the kids really, since they don't teach Geography anymore......
But they should learn it on their own. Not a smart generation, for sure.....
I was under the impression that it was the other way around. Millennials and Gen Z’s are more knowledgeable than boomers as a result of increased globalization.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:59 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
This is embarrassing but why is it they are only asking people who appear to be under 40?

Because people over 40 were taught history and geography. These classes were not then displaced with classes on white privilege, LBTPDQ, and how to put a condom on a cucumber. I am over 60 and when I was young, we learned a pretty strict RRR curriculum that included US history, World history, the founding, US geography, and world geography.

Today, it is common core and worse. Today's schools are abysmal. I don't blame the teachers. Schools should never have lost local control. The US Dept. of Education should be eliminated. Yet another collassal disaster by the peanut president Jimmah Carter.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:09 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
It shouldn't take you until you are 40 to know a single country outside the US .

Old 12-02-2020, 03:48 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Many college kids cannot even name or locate all of the states in the USA. I've had some tell me that there are 53 states total, some still say 48. College education today is useless in most cases. It's primarily sports and partying to the students.
I didn't listen to the video, no sound on my computer. I can point out Mexico, the US, Alaska, Canada, Italy which is easy. I could pick out some of the US states, it was never one of my strong subjects (I'm 55) although I did pretty good at the time, I just didn't retain it. I'm not sure what else I could pick out, maybe a few more countries due to my genealogy work on ancestry with DNA results. I'm Hungarian but I'm not sure if I can pick out Hungary on the map.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:10 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
I'm 51 and I could name 95% of the roughly 200 sovereign states. Why? I like maps. But I don't pretend that it makes me any smarter that someone who can't, nor do I posture that knowing where Uruguay or Mozambique are located is useful for me in any meaningful way.

This is a thread for people who take some perverse glee in convincing themselves that the young whippersnappers of the day are such losers compared to their supposedly wonderful generation.

People who think this way...

"Young people are idiots! How do I know this? Some comedy show filmed a whole bunch of them, and then edited out everything but the dumbest answers!"

...aren't exactly establishing their bonafides when it comes to having a clue.

It's also for people to drag out every last one of their social grievances and rant irrelevantly about them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Because people over 40 were taught history and geography. These classes were not then displaced with classes on white privilege, LBTPDQ, and how to put a condom on a cucumber. I am over 60 and when I was young, we learned a pretty strict RRR curriculum that included US history, World history, the founding, US geography, and world geography.

Today, it is common core and worse. Today's schools are abysmal. I don't blame the teachers. Schools should never have lost local control. The US Dept. of Education should be eliminated. Yet another collassal disaster by the peanut president Jimmah Carter.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:54 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Smart people wouldn't take the time to stop and talk to someone on the street with a camera/mic

Old 12-02-2020, 06:20 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
They were doing these man-on-the-street, aren't-people-dumb interviews when today's 40-year-olds were pooing their diapers. It's done for schaudenfreude.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Because they are easy pickin's. They don't have a clue. If they picked older people they might get a bunch, which would spoil the show. Not fair to the kids really, since they don't teach Geography anymore......
But they should learn it on their own. Not a smart generation, for sure.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
To put it in a simple answer

It’s called the dumbing down of America

I bet you most of those blundering fools can rattle off what any of the Kardashians had for lunch on Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

You're all laughingly incorrect. The clip in the OP was from 2018 and Kimmel repeated the bit earlier this year, this time using people who all appear to be >40. Some much older than 40. Not to mention good, conservative Republicans from a time when people were taught "...a pretty strict RRR curriculum that included US history, World history, the founding, US geography, and world geography."

I can't wait to hear your excuses and rationalizations now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umpa...immyKimmelLive

(Oh, and a side note to the poster above who wants to eliminate the Department of Education: If you want to call something a "collassal" failure, especially an entity that is involved in education, you should probably first learn how to spell colossal.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education