Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 10:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
The Earth Science nerd in me loves the trend of this thread. Talking about Gulf Streams, Maritime, Coriolis Force/Effect and all of that good stuff.
I LOVE the geography part of this thread. To me a Gulf Stream is a brand of recreational vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 10:36 AM

491 posts, read 324,576 times
My Geography is ok but it's all in good fun.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:40 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I LOVE the geography part of this thread. To me a Gulf Stream is a brand of recreational vehicle.
A nice one at that.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:42 AM

636 posts, read 328,318 times
Apparently politically left folks can be ID'd by their faces. Just pick out lefties to ask stuff and they will not know things like what a map is, what year it is, how old they are or what are early signs of extrapyramidal (brain) damage are. They will be able to tell you the generic name of the current anti-depressant or atypical anti-psychotic they are on.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
20 somethings should have been learning that throughout their years in school plus they haven't yet reached the time of forgetting. Do they still teach Social Studies in school?

Old 01-19-2021, 02:37 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I believe it is "cherry-picking", but it is still a shock to see some college educated people cannot identify even just one country. Not even the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRh1zXFKC_o
Not shocking - but please tell me why everyone of these people has a vote in every election, and most of these votes went for a particular candidate in '20?

Old 01-19-2021, 06:54 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Do they still teach Social Studies in school?
I can't speak for public schools, but in 6th grade at the private school that my child attends the history teacher gave weekly geography quizzes continent by continent, even the smaller countries of Europe and Africa.

Now, whether the students remember the day after the quiz what they had crammed the day before the quiz is another matter.

At the same school, I know that 4th graders study their own state's history as well as general US civics, and they start world history in 6th grade. Some of the textbooks incorporate some of the history from the economic point of view as well, which is usually sorely lacking. The textbooks are from national publishers, such as McGraw Hill, for better and for worse.

Again, what students remember the day after quizzes and tests is another matter, some remember a lot, some remember very little.

These reports and videos making random young adults look ridiculous are not new and by now they smack of caricatures for viewers' amusement.

Last edited by bale002; 01-19-2021 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-24-2021, 06:54 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
A more interesting test would have been "Can you point to any ocean?"

Old 01-24-2021, 10:18 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
A more interesting test would have been "Can you point to any ocean?"
I'll tell you something funny about that.

I used to be a teacher, and part of what I taught (earth science) involved a degree of geography. And one year I happened to pass out a map where the continents were shaded and the ocean was white (the reverse of what is typically used). Total confusion.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I can't speak for public schools, but in 6th grade at the private school that my child attends the history teacher gave weekly geography quizzes continent by continent, even the smaller countries of Europe and Africa.

Now, whether the students remember the day after the quiz what they had crammed the day before the quiz is another matter.

At the same school, I know that 4th graders study their own state's history as well as general US civics, and they start world history in 6th grade. Some of the textbooks incorporate some of the history from the economic point of view as well, which is usually sorely lacking. The textbooks are from national publishers, such as McGraw Hill, for better and for worse.

Again, what students remember the day after quizzes and tests is another matter, some remember a lot, some remember very little.

These reports and videos making random young adults look ridiculous are not new and by now they smack of caricatures for viewers' amusement.
A think you make a valid point...BUT, I would remind you of the title of the thread: "Many Americans cannot identify a single country from a world map".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education