Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 06:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

Even an 8th grade education should insure that ability
We have dumbed down
What a masters or PhD tells me about an 30/year old applicant is they prefer school to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 06:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Embarrassing...I can name most of them thanks to stamp collecting as a kid...still have no stamp from Abu Dhabi in my album lol.
Good luck on a current map pointing out Ceylon, Rhodesia, Upper Volta, Dahomey...I had stamps from all those countries...

Old 12-02-2020, 07:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You're all laughingly incorrect. The clip in the OP was from 2018 and Kimmel repeated the bit earlier this year, this time using people who all appear to be >40. Some much older than 40. Not to mention good, conservative Republicans from a time when people were taught "...a pretty strict RRR curriculum that included US history, World history, the founding, US geography, and world geography."

I can't wait to hear your excuses and rationalizations now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umpa...immyKimmelLive

(Oh, and a side note to the poster above who wants to eliminate the Department of Education: If you want to call something a "collassal" failure, especially an entity that is involved in education, you should probably first learn how to spell colossal.)
Most people, today can’t even tell you phone numbers of the people in their address book. Forget picking up a road atlas and find their way somewhere. The age and political leaning isn’t a factor anymore. People today rely on their smart phones for just about everything. It is dumbing down people. As far as Jimmy Kimmel....this same guy who is now a PC whining lib is the same guy who cohosted a show called The man show and called the women who were part of the cast Juggies. Jimmy Kimmel has absolutely no credibility with me.

And yes......our education system is a colossal failure. I’ve walked in schools in the LAUSD and the class is being taught in Spanish. No joke.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:07 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I believe it is "cherry-picking", but it is still a shock to see some college educated people cannot identify even just one country. Not even the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRh1zXFKC_o
They can't even identify their own gender these days. How can you expect them to identify an entire country??

SS

Old 12-02-2020, 08:15 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
All 54 countries? That's pretty good! I can go around the coast.
Central and South America are easy - I can name them all. I never got much into the Far East, though.

Sure would love to go to Mongolia.
(During the summer)

The least visited country in the world is Tuvalu (TOO-va-loo).

Here's a good video done by a guy who travels to strange places. He found out Tuvalu is a paradise!

Education, done properly, continues forever. I still look up words in the dictionary, and am currently reading a biography of Cornelius Vanderbilt. I graduated from high school in 1963.
I love geography and love to challenge myself learning and memorizing countries and facts about them, granted you have to keep up with your skills to keep yourself sharp but I’ve been able to win many a Quiz-Up challenge including almost all of the countries of Africa. It doesn’t mean you are stupid or uninteresting if you don’t know or care about geography but I find it correlates with a curiosity and open mind about learning about the world other than your immediate bubble.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:55 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
I remember High School kids being tested on finding "the panhandle state" on a blank map of the USA and they couldnt do it LOL!!

I can see maybe not finding something like Hungary or Albania on a blank map, but FLORIDA the panhandle state????

Old 12-02-2020, 09:54 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
The more attractive a person is, the less they know about geography or politics.

Go ahead test this.

Ask any young attractive person, "Who is the Vice President, right NOW?"

You're going to get some blank stares..

Sad, but true.
If that is the case then they very rapidly lose attractiveness. If they are that uninformed I don't care what they look like.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:58 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Good luck on a current map pointing out Ceylon, Rhodesia, Upper Volta, Dahomey...I had stamps from all those countries...
Rhodesia? ........ No longer on any current maps. Zimbabwe now.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:12 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
I was thinking that too. I could identify the countries on the map of Africa, but the names wouldn't be current. Same for "Burma" and "Siam."

Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Quote:
Me too...civil wars, etc changed those countries. Ceylon is now Sri Lanka. Used to be Yugoslavia back in the day...now broken up into Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, etc. They used to have Bosnia & Herzegovena stamps back then though. I recall Thailand as "Siam" and Iran as "Persia" in stamp album back then too...Burma is now Myanmar. Not sure if they have Abu Dhabi (never got one from there as a kid) or Vatican City stamps anymore. Amazing how much worldwide geography you will learn from stamp collecting as a kid!

Last edited by Fisherman99; 12-02-2020 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education