Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 09:03 PM

98 posts, read 95,133 times

Advertisements

I am in graduate school, and I currently have two Fs. Didn’t hear back a grade for one class yet. If I get three f’s, will my program kick me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 09:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
I am in graduate school, and I currently have two Fs. Didn’t hear back a grade for one class yet. If I get three f’s, will my program kick me out?
Well, it depends on the requirements for your program and the University. I believe that students had to maintain a B average in the department that I attended. But, some programs required only a 2.5 average.

Frankly, I would be surprised if a graduate program would keep a student if they had one F in their major, let alone two or three Fs.

Check with your advisor.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:09 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:

Open up your program's catalog and see if there is a Three Cs rule...........and noting your program may issues grades of HP, P, LP, and F or similar. If so F and C grades are effectively the same with the caveat that LP (low pass) grades often limited in number as well - make three and you are likely out. Obviously many grad classes are pass/fail as well.

Excepting maybe education which is it's own thing with relatively loose standards and loose graduate titleage, I can't imagine an accredited graduate program that would tolerate three Fs.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:47 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
What program are you currently enrolled in? I believe that many grad programs require that you maintain a GPA of at least 3.0. If you drop below it, you’ll usually get a warning, but if you can’t fix your GPA, then you might get kicked out.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:20 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Why can't you pass your courses? Are you too uninterested to put in the effort? Why should you waste your money, and why should the program have any interest in keeping you? Do you have an advisor? If so, why have you not consulted him or her before you were at risk of flunking out?

Old 12-20-2020, 03:19 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
In graduate school, you are expected to be mature/responsible enough to anticipate academic problems and discuss them with your advisor before you get to this point. If something happened unexpectedly in your life that made it near impossible to keep up with your coursework, you should withdraw from the semester and restart when the problem has passed.

You need to understand why you are not passing your classes. Whatever the reason, you are not going to finish the program if the problem isn't addressed.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:34 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Quote:
At a minimum, you will likely be asked to voluntarily withdraw to avoid an academic expulsion on your record. But an "F" in graduate school is really bad. For a PhD student, usually the preference is to have a B+ or higher. This becomes more pronounced if the student has funding. A master's student is usually required to have a 3.0 at least. If one earns a "C" then there is room to counter it with an "A" during the same semester. Let's say the graduate student had one "B", one "C" and one "A" then it is still a 3.0 in good standing if all courses had the same three credits each. But if the "C" were an "F" then that is usually not accepted.

It is possible to succeed in those same courses later if you take an honest look at the root cause failure and consider if you could realistically fix it. For example, I know students who have dropped or failed organic chemistry the first time. Then they retake an easier version at a community college. Then they could retake it at another univeristy a couple of years later and actually get an "A". That is common in STEM with second attempts some years later after maturity and realism are achieved with study habits. I know a biology teacher who blatantly flunked out of college and joined the military to get some maturity, discipline and life experience. The student returned to college older and wiser several years later and actually got very good grades while taking numerous credits.

So, do a root cause analysis and see if you want to retry somewhere else. There is potential if you analyze it properly with realism.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:46 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Quote:
Minimum Degree GPA
All CCAS graduate students are required to maintain a cumulative degree/certificate GPA (CGPA) of at least 3.0 (B). Some programs require a higher cumulative GPA. Please refer to the University Bulletin for the minimum GPA requirement for your program. Deficiency and pre-requisite coursework (if required) are not included in calculating your cumulative degree GPA even though they may appear on your graduate transcript. These courses also do not count towards the credits required for your graduate degree/certificate. Failure to maintain the minimum CGPA may result in academic probation or termination from your graduate program.

Maintaining satisfactory academic standing is separate from the Financial Aid office’s satisfactory academic progress policy (SAP). SAP is required for all students who receive a federal loan. The SAP policy refers to your ability to access federal loans only and should not be confused with the academic policy.

Probation and Academic Dismissal
If you do not meet the minimum cumulative GPA required by your program, you may be put on academic probation or dismissed from your program. While on probation you may be limited as to the number of credits you may take and you may no longer be able to receive any failing or incomplete grades. You will be informed by the Graduate Dean’s office of what conditions have been attached to your probationary period. A second consecutive semester of probation will only be approved in very exceptional circumstances.

Your cumulative degree/certificate GPA will be reviewed after your probationary period. If you have not met the conditions of your probation and increased your GPA to at least a 3.0, or as specified in your terms of probation, you may be dismissed from your program. If you do meet the requirements of your probation, you may be reinstated to good academic standing or remain on extended probation depending on your individual circumstance and registration.
https://columbian.gwu.edu/academic-standing

Don't be passive, reach out to your advisor now.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:01 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Open up your program's catalog and see if there is a Three Cs rule...........and noting your program may issues grades of HP, P, LP, and F or similar. If so F and C grades are effectively the same with the caveat that LP (low pass) grades often limited in number as well - make three and you are likely out. Obviously many grad classes are pass/fail as well.

Excepting maybe education which is it's own thing with relatively loose standards and loose graduate titleage, I can't imagine an accredited graduate program that would tolerate three Fs.
I looked up GWU's Ed Department graduate handbook as long as I was on the site - they have basically the same policy as the policy I quoted above, plus a 3-C policy even if you have a 3.0, and the registration hold when you dip is automatic, making it actually slightly stricter policy.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:36 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,904 times
If they do keep you, you would probably have to either re-take at least one of your F courses to get that F erased or "erased" and maybe a really easy course to help better your average if your advisor is open to working with you in that capacity/context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education