Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 04:05 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Not true. We can still have tests. By the way, most undergraduate courses are taught by TAs and graduate students, not directly by faculty. University is by and large a huge ripoff.
Yea. I've been all of a TA, grad student teacher and adjunct professor. I think the video game version of college may well augment what we have now but it's not replacing anything. All manner of STEM side studies can't be done well virtually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Since that is not a rational goal for a learning institution, good riddance to universities that operate under that paradigm.
He's right. Day one of my son's undergrad schooling 1,500+ students were in a pre-medical track with the goal of attending medical school. After 1 year about 300 were left of those about 150 ultimately got into medical school.

Repeat the same logic for engineering, chemistry, math, physics, the various biologies etc.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:20 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yea. I've been all of a TA, grad student teacher and adjunct professor. I think the video game version of college may well augment what we have now but it's not replacing anything. All manner of STEM side studies can't be done well virtually.
It will start as augmenting. It will increase though. There are definitely some areas that can only be effectively learned through in person teaching. But not the vast majority of undergrad stuff. I don't think there's a single undergraduate course I ever took in college that couldn't be taught in a Zoom setting.

I mean a theater curriculum needs to be in person, but economics or psychology or accounting? Zoom it. Save the room and board. Save the physical plant. It's environmental insanity to ship millions of kids to learn at a centralized domicile. It's also economic insanity in the United States. $70,000/year for NYU? For what? A TA 3 years ahead of me is going to teach me while some overpaid tenured professor sits in his office playing Civilization?

Old 01-06-2021, 06:56 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:

Your implied claim that any regular smart-Joe could show up and learn on the go in a residency is simply absurd .
Not so absurd, it's been done. This guy got away with it for 25 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...340_story.html

Old 01-06-2021, 07:11 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Your implied claim that any regular smart-Joe could show up and learn on the go in a residency is simply absurd .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Not so absurd, it's been done. This guy got away with it for 25 years.
That it's (perhaps) been accomplished by one guy isn't evidenciary for your case, lol.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:01 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
That it's (perhaps) been accomplished by one guy isn't evidenciary for your case, lol.
It has happened, probably many times. I found this on a 10 second google search. I think it refutes the claim that any smart Joe could do this is absurd, because it does happen. It is exactly evidentiary. How could you know how many times it has happened? The fact is it can and did happen. Also many doctors who have been to medical school and practice do kill people due to incompetence. How did their schooling serve them?

Old 01-06-2021, 09:04 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Also many doctors who have been to medical school and practice do kill people due to incompetence.
There's a difference between incompetence and a negligent action.

Quote:
I think it refutes the claim that any smart Joe could do this is absurd, because it does happen. It is exactly evidentiary.
What's absurd is a former law-school student (quoted below) considers a googled-article as being relative to evidentiary standards re: your (also absurd) point/case about Joe, lol.

Quote:
I completed the first year of law school, but decided I didn't want to spend my life in a bubble.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I love utube a 1000 home projects how to do it

Old 01-06-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
It has happened, probably many times. I found this on a 10 second google search. I think it refutes the claim that any smart Joe could do this is absurd, because it does happen. It is exactly evidentiary. How could you know how many times it has happened? The fact is it can and did happen. Also many doctors who have been to medical school and practice do kill people due to incompetence. How did their schooling serve them?
I'm not sure whether I should respond or just laugh at your logic.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:54 AM

10,060 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
It will start as augmenting. It will increase though. There are definitely some areas that can only be effectively learned through in person teaching. But not the vast majority of undergrad stuff. I don't think there's a single undergraduate course I ever took in college that couldn't be taught in a Zoom setting.

I mean a theater curriculum needs to be in person, but economics or psychology or accounting? Zoom it. Save the room and board. Save the physical plant. It's environmental insanity to ship millions of kids to learn at a centralized domicile. It's also economic insanity in the United States. $70,000/year for NYU? For what? A TA 3 years ahead of me is going to teach me while some overpaid tenured professor sits in his office playing Civilization?
We need more complete data, but from the surveys I've seen, at best only ~35% of students prefer online to a classroom. Usually more like 15-20%. That's pretty similar to the proportion that wanted online before covid. Around 15%.

https://oneclass.com/blog/featured/1...vid-19.en.html

https://sundial.csun.edu/161241/news...line-learning/

https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/1...rning-polling/

https://bowdoinorient.com/2020/06/29...ll-2020-plans/

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...021-and-Beyond

The 3 out of 4 who don't feel they're getting their money's worth is pretty consistent. My college was similar - when we did our survey, around 25% like online and say they will continue it. That is about a 10% bump up from the 10-15% that regularly took online classes before. I expected F2F:Online offerings to be about 80:20 by 2025. Covid has advanced that timeline somewhat.

Online classes have been a thing for 15 years at most colleges. I took two online courses in 2006. It goes back to the 1990s for some of the early adopters. The main difference now is bandwidth and video. It's not like students didn't know this was available.

The psychological advantage of being in a shared community space to learn is highly underrated. What I'm hearing overwhelmingly is that people miss their friends. If people just wanted to learn the information, they'd buy a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education