Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 12:48 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,049,961 times

Advertisements

we didn't have youtube when I was growing up.

from what I've seen, spending 4 years on educational videos on youtube will give you more knowledge than you'll ever learn in university.

it teaches you how to make money, practical skills, and all the crap you should have learned in college (but didn't, because they didn't offer those courses, or you were required to take other stupid classes to satisfy units)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 01:29 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,506,518 times
Not really. You can find a lot of topics on it, but the way the material is presented doesn’t make it equivalent to what you’d get by pursuing tertiary education. It lacks the rigidity of coursework and testing. Let’s say you were in a chemistry class. You would have to participate in lab work in order to acquire practical skills. Some of the equipment available on college campus is extremely expensive or nearly impossible to obtain on your own.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,020 times
Hi can you share with me youtube videos ?

Old 12-22-2020, 02:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
we didn't have youtube when I was growing up.

from what I've seen, spending 4 years on educational videos on youtube will give you more knowledge than you'll ever learn in university.

it teaches you how to make money, practical skills, and all the crap you should have learned in college (but didn't, because they didn't offer those courses, or you were required to take other stupid classes to satisfy units)
There is nothing 'practical' about a USA college education, and the only way colleges know how to make money is on fees! (doesn't work so well in business / life).

The only way you learn the stuff you comment on is by doing it / mentoring with a small business or trade.

But... I know little about youtube since I live in rural USA (no internet). I go to the library (non-covid times) to use YouTube for repair videos, there are some good tricks to learn (when (if) covid is over.)

Not to be compared to a comprehensive college education, but helpful in spending 30 min to save 5 minutes on a unique repair idea.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,354,554 times
Oh really?

Show me the youtube videos on Strength of materials, thermodynamics, and partial differential equations. Show me how youtube videos will teach quantitative chemical analysis and proper lab technique better than freshman quant chemistry lab. And I really want to see how youtube videos will exceed weekly homework sets in teaching statics and dynamics.

Those with actual experience in other fields will be able, I'm sure, to provide examples from their experience.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:09 PM

433 posts, read 533,535 times
I think this is one of those deals where both turf3 and the original poster are right. Obviously, the courses requiring labs are not going to be something you can do at home, but, there is an AMAZING amount of stuff out there that CAN be accessed. Much of it is the university profs actually "in the act." I have been following some of the medical videos during this Covid 19 crisis and the comments from students are usually very positive!

MIT provides access to many of its courses---
https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

There is also "Khan university"---
https://www.khanacademy.org/

Finally, here is the story of a motivated young man who entered MIT at age 15---
https://news.mit.edu/2015/ahaan-rung...ware-mitx-1116

Old 12-22-2020, 02:17 PM

27,632 posts, read 28,732,432 times
If that is the case, then why isn't every high school student with an internet connection getting straight A's?

Old 12-22-2020, 02:20 PM

648 posts, read 432,879 times
The only problem with college these days is the price. Total ripoff.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:24 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,070,592 times
Youtube for education is basically learning about sex from your friends on the street! It is not reliable. Most of the crap on Youtube is crap and if you try to correct the bad information they will delete your correct posts. Can be fun entertainment but until there are some accreditations it is a crap shoot.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If that is the case, then why isn't every high school student with an internet connection getting straight A's?
Probably because they spend hours playing Minecraft, instead of studying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education