Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:34 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Exactly. Who has that time?

Sure, if I were to be assigned a smart and dedicated 18 year old as an apprentice, I could have him or her up to speed and performing at my level in... oh.. a couple years probably. If educating, training & acculturating him was my job.

But that is not my job. I don't have time for that.
Well, yeah - then you might as well become an adjunct professor! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Well, yeah - then you might as well become an adjunct professor! :-)
Oh I would want more money for all that work! Adjuncts work for peanuts and it shocks me why they do what they do for so little.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:20 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Since that is not a rational goal for a learning institution, good riddance to universities that operate under that paradigm.
It is a widespread practice. Some college professors even tell their entering freshman class something like:

“Here’s a sobering truth. Most of you will not make it to graduation.”

Old 01-09-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Oh I would want more money for all that work! Adjuncts work for peanuts and it shocks me why they do what they do for so little.
My point/joke was relative to the irony of circling it back around to a professor/adjunct/whatever (details not relative) on corporate staff to do all this teaching for 'Smart Joe' who can learn anything on the job (but doesn't feel college can teach him anything).

Old 01-09-2021, 04:26 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is a widespread practice. Some college professors even tell their entering freshman class something like:

“Here’s a sobering truth. Most of you will not make it to graduation.”
Sounds more like an actuarial observation than a conscious goal.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
My point/joke was relative to the irony of circling it back around to a professor/adjunct/whatever (details not relative) on corporate staff to do all this teaching for 'Smart Joe' who can learn anything on the job (but doesn't feel college can teach him anything).
I'm all for companies starting up their own education programs to compete with the university system.

Somehow I get the feeling they don't want to do that.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I'm all for companies starting up their own education programs to compete with the university system.

Somehow I get the feeling they don't want to do that.
Many companies have collaborated with (various) colleges re: futhering educational opportunies, particularly relative to tech.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Many companies have collaborated with (various) colleges re: futhering educational opportunies, particularly relative to tech.
*furthering*

That assumes they have a foundation. I want the companies to do the foundation.

If we've learned anything from the pandemic it's that we don't even need school as an institution. We should close them all & sell off the property. Imagine the money we'd save.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
*furthering*

That assumes they have a foundation. I want the companies to do the foundation.

If we've learned anything from the pandemic it's that we don't even need school as an institution. We should close them all & sell off the property. Imagine the money we'd save.
Seriously, do your realize how many students are NOT doing well without face-to-face learning? This is especially true of special education students like my grandson who has autism, but it is also true of other students. Our younger students k-5 are especially likely to do poorly with remote learning even if they are motivated in subjects they do love.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I want the companies to do the foundation.
Yeah, I know you do. :-)

Quote:
If we've learned anything from the pandemic it's that we don't even need school as an institution.
This is nonsensical i.e. changing the environment via (more) online 'classrooms' doesn't change the fact school is an educational (as well as a social) 'institution'. That won't change, despite potential (and needed) restructuring down the pike.

Keep in mind online classrooms were a part of the landscape long before the pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education