Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,865 times

Advertisements

Willie deserves a paddling himself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I'm not really against paddling, but those Memphis City Schools kids will just turn around hit the teacher after being paddled.
You're probably right. Kids have to learn to respect authority figures at a young age. You can't let them run wild when younger, and then all of a sudden try to paddle them in high school. If schools are going to use paddling as punishment, it needs to start by the time the kids reach fourth grade (I was paddled in the 3rd grade.lol).

Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,239 times
I'm serious too. Some of those kids won't think twice about knocking out an old principal. I feel really bad if they have some of females giving corporal punishment.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:03 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You're probably right. Kids have to learn to respect authority figures at a young age. You can't let them run wild when younger, and then all of a sudden try to paddle them in high school. If schools are going to use paddling as punishment, it needs to start by the time the kids reach fourth grade (I was paddled in the 3rd grade.lol).
Very true. I don't think paddling a high school kid is going to do any good especially if you let them run wild when they were younger. I am not against paddling but I think after 6th grade some other sort of discipline needs to start. My mom paddled me when I was younger but when I got to junior high school she stopped and started taking away privileges.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 AM

498 posts, read 1,519,643 times
Thumbs down Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
Mayor Herenton Wants Paddling Back in Schools|Eyewitness News Everywhere - ABC24 - CW30 - Memphis TV

Memphis schools banned corporal punishment several years ago, but now the Mayor wished to have the paddle return to this school district.
This man is looking for bigger trouble than he knows. Who does he think he is beating on children? THat is what I said "beating". It could cause his family a whole lot of grief from the public.

You can go to jail around here for spanking your kid. There are plenty of parents sitting in jail from trying to control their out of control children.THen they say it is the parents fault because their kid is out of line. When I was little, any adult would do, if I was doing something they didn't like or thought I shouldn't be doing, they did not hesitate to reach out and touch me.But I think that is completely different than being paddled (beat) at school with a weapon.

From the sounds of it they need to get a whole new staff. They definately need to put all coaches back into the fields and courts and take them out of the ACADEMICS AND ARTS CLASSROOMS. They are half the battle here with all their brainwashing and polotics and the seperations they cause all through the k-12 public schools. That coach better stop and think who is making his paycheck. It sure ain't the administration. It is the kids. Coaches burden our k-12 public school children with their burden to draw a paycheck. If the kids don't win the coach gets put out. That is a fact.

I do understand that there is alot of violence going on everywhere, but as Superintendants and principals and academic teachers and counselors, I would think they could come up with something more intelligent than a beating with a weapon. That is no different than the streets they learn it on.

A mayor and a coach, huh? GO and FIGURE!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:16 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
I fail to see how adding violence to a system will help prevent violence.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:52 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
If a teacher paddled my child I would paddle that teacher.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:11 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
They definately need to put all coaches back into the fields and courts and take them out of the ACADEMICS AND ARTS CLASSROOMS.
I don't understand your comment. Many coaches are highly qualified in subjects like History or English. Do you want to take them out of their classrooms?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,935 times
Anyone who is interested in the topic of corporal punishment may wish to tune into the national show, Dr. Phil, this Friday, May 16th. It is entitled "Spanking Scandals", and features a variety of guests. Of particular interest may be the story involving a 12 year old child from North Carolina who was corporally punished and injured by a teacher.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM

62 posts, read 202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
Anyone who is interested in the topic of corporal punishment may wish to tune into the national show, Dr. Phil, this Friday, May 16th. It is entitled "Spanking Scandals", and features a variety of guests. Of particular interest may be the story involving a 12 year old child from North Carolina who was corporally punished and injured by a teacher.
I'm not used to living in an area that uses corporal punishment at schools. Is this common in North Carolina? What are the rules and are there age restrictions? I'm curious because I might be moving there. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education