Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 07:35 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I will take, "Children Who Don't Study or Do Homework

I have no clue how we fix their circumstances.
This is a tough problem. Perhaps the only solution is to conduct vasectomies or tubal ligations on welfare recipients and their partners who have more than a certain number of children. Only subsidies keep this segment of the population growing.

Also, stop handicapping achievers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 08:32 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

It is especially sad because a lot of them will turn to crime because the don't understand their economy opportunities, let alone lacking the skills needed for many jobs. I mean, if you can't read well, you are screwed in many jobs.
If you can't read and the job requires it, then the job is systemically racist and the reading requirement should be abolished. A person whose Lived Truth is illiteracy should not be barred from holding any job.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
If you can't read and the job requires it, then the job is systemically racist and the reading requirement should be abolished. A person whose Lived Truth is illiteracy should not be barred from holding any job.
</sarcasm>???

Old 09-03-2022, 07:53 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,220,712 times
This kid's not going anywhere in life but McDonald's or Starbucks or (more likely) prison.

Old 10-04-2022, 01:55 PM

835 posts, read 478,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
This kid's not going anywhere in life but McDonald's or Starbucks or (more likely) prison.
Honestly, at age 16, he can start working at McDonald’s. At least there, he will be earning some MONEY, and not wasting finite government resources on a failed high school education that he, and many others, are not CLEARLY not interested in.

Old 10-04-2022, 03:00 PM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerditaPanthera View Post
You didn't read my post. I don't believe pouring MORE money into the current school system at all. My suggestion was to distribute money more EQUALLY to more schools instead of pooling property taxes in wealthier neighborhoods and feeding those funds only to schools within their borders. (fyi, prop. taxes are the source of more than 50% of a school district's funding.)

BUS THE FUNDING ACROSS DISTRICT LINES TO EQUALIZE FUNDING IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS THROUGHOUT THE NATION.

This takes parents caring about OTHER parents' kids which, if people could only think long term, they would realize how this is a benefit to everyone in this country.

Eventually, dump the union led public school system--focus our attention on charter schools because the public school system is such a mess it needs to be dissolved. We need to start fresh with a brand new system.

Charter schools. They are the key. At least at this point. Maybe some other solution will pop up, but I've given up on the public schools because of unionization controls.
Texas instituted a property tax pooling/redistribution/recapture scheme.......its sole purposes was to distribute money from rich areas to less rich areas........it solved nothing and seriously damages some districts. Some of the receiving districts have built educationally intensive bits such as a water park.

https://abc13.com/texas-water-park-s...nding/4162905/

Old 10-04-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Honestly, at age 16, he can start working at McDonald’s. At least there, he will be earning some MONEY, and not wasting finite government resources on a failed high school education that he, and many others, are not CLEARLY not interested in.
Except crime is a lot more interesting and lucrative than Macdonald's work.

Old 10-04-2022, 03:57 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If only criminals would apply their creativity in a positive direction and have longer term squad goals.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/women-ne...ens-nyc-subway

Old 10-07-2022, 02:19 PM

835 posts, read 478,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Only problem being the high chance of being incarcerated for the rest of your life.

Jokes aside, my post was more purposed to expand upon the idea of the overbloated amount of time kids spend in K12 education, which leads the failing students to believe that it will never end, which leads to them further losing interest in getting that high school diploma and disconnecting from education altogether.

If this young man, at 16, can proficiently work a menial fast food job, consistently, that’s where he belongs, because at least then he’s getting something DONE that provides a benefit to society. Forcing him to finish a compulsory education in which he 1) has no genuine vested interest in, and 2) may or may not get that high school diploma, most likely not, given dropout statistics, is only further wasting his own time, but more importantly, wasting the time of the hard working taxpayer.

I’d be fine if the “rotting” only affected the disengaged student, but more often than not, these kids disrupt classes and become discipline problems that affect other students, students who want to be there, who have a vested interest in bettering their own life. That’s my point of contention.

In some countries, public education from preschool is taught to be PRIVILEGE. Troublemakers, the rare ones that exist, are thrown out for good and told to stay out for good. The moment that they made public education a “right to all children” in the United States pretty much ensured that the system would not even reach the level of mediocrity.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
If this young man, at 16, can proficiently work a menial fast food job, consistently, that’s where he belongs, because at least then he’s getting something DONE that provides a benefit to society. Forcing him to finish a compulsory education in which he 1) has no genuine vested interest in, and 2) may or may not get that high school diploma, most likely not, given dropout statistics, is only further wasting his own time, but more importantly, wasting the time of the hard working taxpayer.
I agree but a strong vocational track would be better, if trade unions (really restrictive guilds) allowed it.

Quote:
I’d be fine if the “rotting” only affected the disengaged student, but more often than not, these kids disrupt classes and become discipline problems that affect other students, students who want to be there, who have a vested interest in bettering their own life. That’s my point of contention.
You are certainly right there. Something needs to be done about "parents" that just don't care about their children. Maybe, if counseling doesn't succeed or they don't participate, cut off welfare and SNAP benefits given to the "parents' and allocatable to the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education