Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 06:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What should Betsy DeVos have done...
The real problem goes far deeper than that.
The real problem is that MOST of this multi generational dysfunctional population should have never even been conceived.
The real problem is that the social conservatives have ENCOURAGED those conceptions and want to make them even worse than they are.
Solve the real problem if you want your kids and grands to have a future in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
School choice.

But mom is negligent, the "education" system is criminally negligent, the kid missed how many days? Gee, I wonder where he'll end up?

This is pitiful. Keep voting them in, folks, you'll keep getting these results.
The thing is, this IS a school of choice. As I understand it, Augusta Fells is a magnet school. You have to choose it.

Choice isn't always a good thing as we've seen here. This choice failed terribly.

And actually? I think this kid may turn out ok. At this point, he's been transferred to an accelerated pace school and if he works hard, can expect to graduate in 2 more years, not 4.

His mother is a force. Despite what a lot of people on this thread think of her, she's extremely supportive of him and really really wants him to have a high school diploma.

A kid can do worse in the mother department, than this one.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:59 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
What should Betsy DeVos have done to create some real parenting in the home of these kids or education in the "schools"?
The Betsy DeVos statement wasn't from me.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:04 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The real problem is that MOST of this multi generational dysfunctional population should have never even been conceived.
The real problem is that the social conservatives have ENCOURAGED those conceptions and want to make them even worse than they are.
Solve the real problem if you want your kids and grands to have a future in this world.
So, the reason for our dysfunctional education system in these Democratically run cities is we don't do enough abortions? Quite a correlation you have just made. In these neighborhoods, Planned Parenthood is doing their level best in trying to take care of this problem. They never miss an opportunity to set up shop in the middle of these neighborhoods as business is good.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:04 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
? I think this kid may turn out ok. At this point, he's been transferred to an accelerated pace school and if he works hard, can expect to graduate in 2 more years, not 4.

Do you really expect that to happen? If he were willing to work hard he wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:08 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
I am pro-abortion and not a conservative of any kind. I don't think it's fair to say that conservatives encourage unlimited copulation among the underclass.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
So, the reason for our dysfunctional education system....
...and twenty other problems are all rooted in having too many people ...
too many who can't ever be expected to NOT be wards of the state.
And yes, those so obsessed with abortion laws, are mostly responsible for the outcome.

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to say that conservatives ...
...get in the way of sex ed, contraception options and the rest (what I said) ?
I do. And they've been doing so since well before since the early 70's with the Hyde fiasco.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:45 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
Quote:
...and twenty other problems are all rooted in having too many people ...
too many who can't ever be expected to NOT be wards of the state.
And yes, those so obsessed with abortion laws, are mostly responsible for the outcome.

...get in the way of sex ed, contraception options and the rest (what I said) ?
I do. And they've been doing so since well before since the early 70's with the Hyde fiasco.
I think you're way off base here.

Baltimore does not have restrictive abortion laws.

The main reason there are multigenerational dysfunctional families is because those families choose to have children. If a woman wants to have a child, you can't prevent her.

Blaming some far off political force for what, according to Occam's razor, is probably a personal choice just seems like axe-grinding. Or maybe you're just frustrated with what seems like an unsolvable problem within the constraints of not violating people's human rights, so you find a target to blame.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:06 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
All the birth control availability, education and motivational posters in the world won't stop a culture that encourages early, out of wedlock child bearing where the girl who hasn't had a baby by the time she's 17 is looked upon as a freak of nature.

Two anecdotes:
I was detailed one year to ride herd on a kid whose mother had opted out of his taking the unit in Health concerning birth control for religious reasons. He was a Senior and this was the 4th time he'd taken the class, having failed it in each of the previous three years (not because of the one unit where he was exempted but because of failing all the units). He also, by 12th Grade, had already fathered three children by three different girls and, when I had to monitor him, had another one in the oven with a fourth girl.

I had another student whose family gave her holy Hell for not getting pregnant and dropping out by 9th Grade, just like every one in her family on both sides had done as far back as you cared to go. The reason the family was mad was that she was "refusing to help out".

She stuck it out and graduated although she was pregnant at Commencement. She had been kicked out of the house by then and was living with her boyfriend's family. Ended up going to the local community college and getting her nurse's license.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:09 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I think you're way off base here.

Baltimore does not have restrictive abortion laws.

The main reason there are multigenerational dysfunctional families is because those families choose to have children. If a woman wants to have a child, you can't prevent her.

Blaming some far off political force for what, according to Occam's razor, is probably a personal choice just seems like axe-grinding. Or maybe you're just frustrated with what seems like an unsolvable problem within the constraints of not violating people's human rights, so you find a target to blame.
Baltimore, in fact, has the Health Rooms in all the public middle and high schools have condoms available no questions asked. That's a State requirement in Maryland, so all the school systems are similar/same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education