Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 02:31 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

There's blame to go around, for sure. The article says this was typical of HUNDREDS of kids in that school.

I'd be curious to know how many kids are in the district in general, and then how much of that population goes to private or parochial school. I'd also be curious on this mother's (and others in the district) income average is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 02:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, 40 years ago my college classmate from Baltimore described it as "the ar$ehole of the universe" - and I rather doubt it's gotten better since.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Why isn't there some program available in these disgusting cities to provide an alternative place for kids like this to learn some usable skills.

Kids like this will never learn enough to qualify as high school educated.

Momma moron is the one that initially set this kid up for failure in his grade school years. This is with the blessing of the lazy, uninterested, & unmotivated teachers and administration, all of which deserve to be fired. As we all know, thanks to the teachers unions in cities like this they're all well protected from any culpability. Don't look for anything to change soon. Take a look who's in charge of our government now, as well as the local government of Baltimore. All the loyal voters and donors are protected.

This is a very good example of how our kid's futures are very bleak unless SOMEONE wakes up on the Democrat led education system.
They're more concerned about which Dr. Seuss or Mark Twain books to ban, or making sure that the kids have adequate sensibility training than whether the students are getting ANY education at all.
"Kids'", not "kid's".

Two words: Betsy DeVos.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:28 PM

4,865 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"Kids'", not "kid's".

Two words: Betsy DeVos.
I'm so sorry you were offended. Shall we run through your 11,000+ posts to see if you made any errors?

Old 03-03-2021, 03:54 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Anytime a student is absent from a class, the student's family receives an automated phone call at their listed number advising the missed time. If necessary, families may respond to the call by noting if the absence meets the criteria to be excused.

According to the article, this kid was late or absent 272 days in 3 years. That's almost a full year of not showing up, or showing up late. If Mom got the automated call, why did this behavior continue? To hear her say the school failed him (which they did) but absolve herself of any blame is pretty sad. I wonder how her other children are doing in school. It's pretty obvious from the mother's inattention to her son that education in that family is not a priority.

And while we are handing out blame, how about the kid himself? Where is the personal responsibility of the kid to show up for classes at the very least? I'm betting that even with bringing him back to the 9th grade, he probably only has a 3rd grade reading level and will continue to struggle.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Everyone remember " The Wire" ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uonc7BEZ4g&t=73s

Old 03-03-2021, 06:27 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Did you read the part that the child was in the top half of the class AND the teachers did not request any parent-teacher conferences? He was also apparently promoted several times even though he failed.
It's called 'Pass the Lemons'.
Baltimore made it easy to know pretty much the whole story... without reading the article.
Only surprise is that they didn't pass him out.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:48 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
The article says this was typical of HUNDREDS of kids in that school.
If I had to guess, I'd guess that a lot of those kids are only nominally students of the school. I believe Boston's schools are funded based on student numbers, which are collected on particular "count" days. (Or at least they used to be - things may well have changed since then.) In districts that do funding this way it's common to take pretty heroic measures to get as many kids in for "count" day as you can. It's a shady practice, but the way the system is set up it's almost an invitation for that kind of shadiness.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:24 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
It's called 'Pass the Lemons'.
Baltimore made it easy to know pretty much the whole story... without reading the article.
Only surprise is that they didn't pass him out.
They COULDN'T pass him out, and apparently they knew it all along. He hadn't accrued enough credits, even from freshman year to move forward.

That school staff knew, that most of the class would not graduate although they kept moving them through the system. He was set to not graduate, 3 years ago, as were half his classmates.

Bizarre.

When you view the mother's interview and the reporter's statements, and the district admin's comments agreeing with the mom, you get the picture. Although her son wasn't doing well grade wise, he was still being promoted - from Algebra l to Algebra ll, from Spanish l to Spanish ll - indicating he was being given credit for the earlier classes despite his low grades.

That does NOT happen in my school district. You don't go to Spanish ll after having failed Spanish l, etc.

The good news is, he's now been placed in a magnet school with an accelerated curriculum and if he works hard and sticks with it, he'll have a diploma in 2023 instead of 2025 which is what he was facing. And his mother, as distracted as she is, with 3 jobs and 3 children and no apparent husband, seems capable of supporting him through that.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
“ As we dig deeper into her son’s records, we can see in his first three years at Augusta Fells, he failed 22 classes and was late or absent 272 days.”

I just finished a long-term substitute teacher assignment and one thing I learned that if I mark a child late or absent and that event wasn’t planned, the system generates a call to a parent.

Yes, I found out the hard way when I incorrectly marked one kiddo as out. I’m surprised every school doesn’t have such a system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education