U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:36 PM

361 posts, read 1,876,347 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else been told that they talked too fast, and then tried to solve the problem? If so, what did you do? Speech therapy? Does insurance cover that? (If I try to, say, JUST SPEAK SLOWER, it sounds weird to me - like Charlie Brown's teacher.)

I've talked too fast my whole life and am now considering a career that involves public speaking...might be time to fix it...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 PM

3,832 posts, read 6,099,655 times
I have to really think about slowing down. Speaking isn't usually as issue for me. I can speak fast, but I can also control it easily. My problem is reading aloud. I read very quickly and I stumble when reading aloud. My brain and eyes go way faster than my mouth (which also moves fast- just not fast enough). I have to think about it and slow down.

If you see someone for it, you will have to pay. Insurance wouldn't cover it because it is not a medical condition.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM

502 posts, read 1,653,111 times
Sometimes I catch myself speaking too quickly in class - here is what i try to do to slow down.

bottle of water. After every few sentences or completion of a thought, i will grab a sip off the bottle. Forces you to slow down.

Ask more questions of the kids and give them wait time. 5 seconds - feels like an eternity. Get them involved and you will have to shut-up and let them speak.

Notes on board. If presenting info, I will write words or short phrases on the board. Don't speak while writing. Don't speak unless looking directly at the kids.

And the best thing, although most difficult, was to videotape myself teaching. My first year, I said "um" much to often. I would tape myself, and could handle about 3 minutes of watching before turning it off in disgust. Take a breath instead of saying "um" helped along with watching the videos of my. Once you see yourself repeatedly doing something ( talking too fast, um ) on tape, you can start to force yourself to cut back and stop.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM

757 posts, read 2,125,654 times
Maybe the person who told you (OP) that is someone who talks too slow.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
Maybe the person who told you (OP) that is someone who talks too slow.
Hee - I tend to think so, but I've had so many people tell me this, I'm starting to think I should adjust myself to the slow talkers .

Thank you for the ideas! I had forgotten that I will be teaching and presenting (in grad school) BEFORE I get the public speaking job, which will give me ample time to put these suggestions to use before I go out into the working world again.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,225,081 times
I talk WAY to fast. I always have, I guess my brain just runs at warp speed and the thoughts come faster then my mouth can keep up. It hasn't changed over the years, I just have to remind myself to slow down. If I am excited, I really talk fast. Most people usually say (WHAT?) then I have to slow down and repeat it. Its irratating because I think, how can they not understand that? I heard every word of it.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,100,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
Has anyone else been told that they talked too fast, and then tried to solve the problem? If so, what did you do? Speech therapy? Does insurance cover that? (If I try to, say, JUST SPEAK SLOWER, it sounds weird to me - like Charlie Brown's teacher.)

I've talked too fast my whole life and am now considering a career that involves public speaking...might be time to fix it...
Yes I can very much relate to that. I still do talk too fast in conversation apparently, but when I had to deliver training I sort of managed to crack it but it took some effort. Part of it was about getting my head round the fact that the words I was saying were important. So I sort of concentrated on the individual words and made an effort to annunciate them properly to make sure everyone could follow. I think when we talk really fast we're focused on a later bit of sentence, or on getting the whle point out before we're interrupted. That doesn't (or shouldn't!) happen with public speaking, so concentrate on taking your time. Focus on the words and try not to think too far ahead.

I also found that if I relaxed my shoulders and smiled a bit (think calm thoughts) my speech naturally slowed down. A bizarre side effect became that I also started clasping my hands in front of me, and a kind of Pavlov's dog thing kicked in - clasp hands - speech slows down.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 AM

27,236 posts, read 44,340,714 times
Yes...I was about to suggest something like that. Put hands in pockets, speech slows down.

I hate to make a generalization, but Italians and some New Yorkers talk very fast....but the same people who talk fast gesture a lot. So maybe there's some connection with the way you gesture and the way you speak?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,100,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes...I was about to suggest something like that. Put hands in pockets, speech slows down.

I hate to make a generalization, but Italians and some New Yorkers talk very fast....but the same people who talk fast gesture a lot. So maybe there's some connection with the way you gesture and the way you speak?
I think there may well be. I wonder if there has been any research in that area?

That gets more interesting the more you think about it actually. I don't talk very quickly on the phone - maybe it's connected with the fact that I gesture less on the phone (yes less, I'm one of those idiots who tried to help the other person by pointing at things and making shapes even on the phone...)

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I also found that if I relaxed my shoulders and smiled a bit (think calm thoughts) my speech naturally slowed down. A bizarre side effect became that I also started clasping my hands in front of me, and a kind of Pavlov's dog thing kicked in - clasp hands - speech slows down.
This makes me think of Yoda . But seriously, I like the idea of clasping hands/hands in pockets to make speech slow down. Something about linking a physical gesture to it - seems like it would reinforce the message. Kind of like if you read silently AND out loud, it helps your memorization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education