Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 10:10 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Liking remote learning and having it be effective are two drastically different things.
Building brick-and-mortar schools, throwing money at them, and having them be fully effective are two drastically different things.

Either way, the main determinant factor is the quality of the humans involved, not the buildings, not the computers, not the money.

Better is to have as many tools in the box as possible.

Thankfully we live in an environment where public in-person schools, private in-person schools, charter in-person schools, public virtual schools, private virtual schools, charter virtual schools, home schools, the unschooled, and any combination of the foregoing all exist and function to some extent or another all at the same time.

All of the above, then, all at the same time, in whatever proportions that the individual actors involved decide is best for them from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 02:48 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
A certain percentage yes. My experience is that around 15-30% of any given student body are good candidates for online learning. They should be given the option if they want it. If public schools don't, private firms will do it themselves.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
I'd like to see DL used for attendance requirements and keeping up with classwork. I am ambivalent about maintaining 100% DL capability.

Students should be able to stay home when ill without affecting how much the school gets paid, and while minimizing how much material they miss. I'd like to see instructor-focused cameras constantly streaming during class time and assignments posted on an electronic educational platform.

I would also appreciate if this could be utilized by families to travel outside of the regular school holidays.

Finally, I would like temporary DL stints to replace disciplinary suspensions. Of course, that will open up a MASSIVE can of worms.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:27 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
I'm surprised I haven't seen it yet on here, but only certain states offer online school as an option based on your tax dollars. The states that don't, you either have to accept a probably sub-par online option if it's offered for your district or you can pay for private cyber school which is just as expensive as most typical brick and mortar private schools.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen it yet on here, but only certain states offer online school as an option based on your tax dollars. The states that don't, you either have to accept a probably sub-par online option if it's offered for your district or you can pay for private cyber school which is just as expensive as most typical brick and mortar private schools.
Florida offers its virtual program to anyone around the world, though I'm not sure what the fee would be, if any, to residents of another US State.

I am not sure how you calculate private school tuition brick-and-mortar vs private. But in my searches and experience, even the most expensive private online school is about three times less (300%), at least, than a private brick-and-mortar school, with the exception perhaps of some Catholic schools, in which case it would be about 20% less. But, again, that is the most expensive private online schools, there are others with lesser fees that are just as good, if not better at least in terms of curriculum.

In the end, quality depends on student and parent, curriculum (including didactic technology) and teacher, then on physical building and such.

Last edited by bale002; 04-30-2021 at 05:11 AM..

Old 04-30-2021, 08:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I would expect a generational change / improvement in online delivery of education k-22.

I doubt that will come from traditional USA public schools, as it does not perpetuate their feed trough / massive infrastructure, employment, and costs.

Fewer buildings, buses, administrators, is not a comfortable place for traditional USA educators to head.

Innovative in education had a wonderful opportunity, one year ago. Those seriously invested in improving edu and delivery will bring positive change. I trust that will not include grouping masses of like age and type youth jammed into peer restricted 'canned curriculum' learning (?).

Old 05-02-2021, 10:47 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Florida offers its virtual program to anyone around the world, though I'm not sure what the fee would be, if any, to residents of another US State.

I am not sure how you calculate private school tuition brick-and-mortar vs private. But in my searches and experience, even the most expensive private online school is about three times less (300%), at least, than a private brick-and-mortar school, with the exception perhaps of some Catholic schools, in which case it would be about 20% less. But, again, that is the most expensive private online schools, there are others with lesser fees that are just as good, if not better at least in terms of curriculum.

In the end, quality depends on student and parent, curriculum (including didactic technology) and teacher, then on physical building and such.

There might be online schools where everything is self-taught and truly home schooling, and I wasn't factoring that.

https://www.gwuohs.com/ is one (of a few?) examples of a private cyber school where they have dedicated staff and their prices are comparable to a typical average price of a private school that is not Catholic.

Your comment about cyber schools in Florida being open to anyone in another US state is probably not entirely true if it's not a private cyber school. If someone from another state is getting education in a Florida cyber institution, they must be using a FL address to have enrolled if the cyber school is primarily charter.
This also has the implication that the main guardian of the child getting the education is under the care of a Floridian parent/guardian. The child could have an acting career or be a (semi-)famous pre-Olympian athlete who travels a lot for competitions and practice, but the main home base could be a FL address.

This is a national educational standard that all states follow if their state allows cyber charters unless that has changed recently.

An example of a cyber charter in FL is here.
https://flcca.k12.com/faqs/enrollment-attendance.html

Last edited by chessimprov; 05-02-2021 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: FL cyber schools

Old 05-03-2021, 01:35 AM

Quote:
There might be online schools where everything is self-taught and truly home schooling, and I wasn't factoring that.

Your comment about cyber schools in Florida being open to anyone in another US state is probably not entirely true if it's not a private cyber school.
I have current first-hand experience with private online schools (live teacher and live classmates, not "asynchronous") in business long before the pandemic that cost a fraction of brick-and-mortar private schools, including all didactic materials. However, they are not accredited by some state or regional accreditation association, so technically legally speaking home-school reporting requirements are in effect.

State-run Florida Virtual School (FLVS) is rather aggressive on its website announcing that it is open to any student anywhere in the world, and it provides extensive details. Now, the legal status of an out-of-state student or foreigner following a program at FLVS would depend on the laws of the state or country of residence.

On the other hand, I know of one private school that offers an asynchronous full-time online program, but does not accept students who live within a 100-mile radius, requiring them to attend its brick-and-mortar program which is already full and has a waiting list. WTF? Go figure.

I learned a lot when I stopped guessing and making blanket assumptions, and instead did actual research and engaged in interaction on a school-by-school basis.

Take care.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
For students and parents who need or want it?
There already is..its called correspondence (or long distance learning).
It's a much more thorough education because the child won't pass until he/she does ALL the required work.
Here, where I live, the public schools sometimes skip whole chapters in the math book..whereas correspondence schools require ALL of the chapters to be done before you can go on.

This "woke culture" that's being taught in schools now is absolute bull####!
If I were younger with kids at home, there's no way Id send them to a public school. Not the way they're run now.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Online learning helps some students avoid bullying, and some students can focus on work like they want to and not get distracted by their peers. And some kids enjoy this mode of learning. It's not for everyone, but it is for some people.
Absolutely....All my children did some years (one of them 12) at home.
It was a necessity if they were to learn, as the public schools (which we tried first) were appallingly inadequate in our opinion.
All my children are now working good jobs.... taxpayers... the corrupt gov take 45% of their earnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education