Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 11:27 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,487 times

Advertisements

We all hear how trade careers could be the place to be for some.
One thing I've wondered, there is some benefit in getting a general education, particularly if you were to want to get an AA degree and also do a trade career. Is this reasonable? AA type studies are usually not part of curriculum for trades, correct?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 12:01 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Thoughts?
I only lasted one year in college yet I am smarter and better informed (I dare say) than most people who have a 4 year college degree or better.

If you work as a welder (for example) you'll make more money than most mere college graduates.
If you work as a welder you can still read newspapers and books to educate yourself.
If you work as a welder but you still need or want that piece of paper saying you're educated then go for it, but realize that an AA degree from a county college may still get the stink eye from the waiter who went to Columbia.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:47 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
A general education can be beneficial for most people, regardless of their career choices. I cannot believe that anyone would be harmed by studying some philosophy or art.

I have degrees in STEM and worked in finance, but the art, music, and ancient philosophy courses I took are the ones I remember most fondly. Those were also the most difficult for me; left brain/right brain problems.

And almost everyone could benefit from a basic personal finance course.

Last edited by Lillie767; 03-31-2021 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 01:20 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I only lasted one year in college yet I am smarter and better informed (I dare say) than most people who have a 4 year college degree or better.

If you work as a welder (for example) you'll make more money than most mere college graduates.
If you work as a welder you can still read newspapers and books to educate yourself.
If you work as a welder but you still need or want that piece of paper saying you're educated then go for it, but realize that an AA degree from a county college may still get the stink eye from the waiter who went to Columbia.
My son's friend finished his BA at a pretty good private college and went into welding. He makes more money that anyone he graduated with. To top it off, He LOVES his job.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
We all hear how trade careers could be the place to be for some.
One thing I've wondered, there is some benefit in getting a general education, particularly if you were to want to get an AA degree and also do a trade career. Is this reasonable? AA type studies are usually not part of curriculum for trades, correct?

Thoughts?
If I was going into a trade, I would get an AA in business. Accounting/bookkeeping and business writing for proposals would be good to know.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
There's no real downside other than time and money in securing a general education and working in a trade. However, in today's USA, most tradespeople-to-be are not particularly interested in academic work. If you have zero interest in it and you just want to get out of class and on to the job, I'd suggest just going on to the job.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:49 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
If I was going into a trade, I would get an AA in business. Accounting/bookkeeping and business writing for proposals would be good to know.
This. Many people in trades may want to run their own business one day, and having the basic skills such as writing (for business documents), accounting, etc. would be very useful.

Even though trades can be a great career, they are hard on the body. At some point, it is often beneficial to start your own business and manage other people so you don’t have to do quite as much physically.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:00 AM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

You may be smart but are all wet about welder pay relative to college graduate pay.

US average welder pay is ~$19hr. or about $40,000yr.

Average recent college graduate pay is ~$50,000 yr.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You may be smart but are all wet about welder pay relative to college graduate pay.

US average welder pay is ~$19hr. or about $40,000yr.

Average recent college graduate pay is ~$50,000 yr.
My son's friend is a welder for the US Navy and he makes $60,000+ with GREAT benefits. He does have a BA in History - so many that's the difference

The average recent college graduate pay numbers doesn't mean a whole lot. There is a huge difference between a new college business, STEM or a liberal arts grad salaries. A great beginning salary doesn't mean a great total career salary. A liberal arts grad may start out lower than a STEM grad. However, the liberal arts grad may finish their career at age 65 and the STEM grad may be outsourced at age 45.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:56 AM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My son's friend is a welder for the US Navy and he makes $60,000+ with GREAT benefits. He does have a BA in History - so many that's the difference

The average recent college graduate pay numbers doesn't mean a whole lot. There is a huge difference between a new college business, STEM or a liberal arts grad salaries. A great beginning salary doesn't mean a great total career salary. A liberal arts grad may start out lower than a STEM grad. However, the liberal arts grad may finish their career at age 65 and the STEM grad may be outsourced at age 45.
Per the discussion average recent grad pay being much higher the the average for all welders invalidates the OPs claim - so it does mean a lot in context.

A life long friend of mine was a Navy trained welder he too did nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education