Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 09:31 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
People act like working in a trade is the greatest job in the world. Then why do so few people want to do it then? Why doesn’t society push going into trade school rather than going into college ?
Its not a great job. It depends on supply and demand. Too many means less pay. It is the same with all jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 09:44 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Because it is for the most part difficult work.

I work with many of them in a construction related field. You can be constantly kneeling, stretching, crawling, or lifting heavy equipment and materials, and it could impact you when you get older.

You are also for the most part ... working all day, putting in 8 hours or 6 without travel.

Compare that to people who in an office, might work 4 real hours in a day (if that), joke around with co-workers for 2 hours, go to lunch for an hour, surf CD for an hour.

Not that MY job is like that by any stretch of the imagination, but it is for a lot of people.

I have considered looking at a trade, but I'm getting pretty old, so doubtful that someone would hire me.

Trades are probably one of the more 'thankful' positions out there. You hire someone to mow your lawn, either they do it, or they don't. 'Hey thanks for the job well done.'

Compare that to a business director whose job it is to 'optimize workflow' who makes 10x more than a lawn-mower.
Its honestly no harder than working out at a gym. The situation isnt like in ancient Egypt with hordes of humans pushing giant slabs up slopes, using lumber as rollers, and hemp rope to secure everything. Physical exertion is good for you. It keeps your body strong, and reverses aging process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
blue collar work can be dangerous to your health,inhaling chemicals!
also dangerous to your physical ,near equipments and robots .
4 years of college expands your ability to conceptualise,thats what recruiter will tell you.
My brother in law has an accounting degree ,but not a good one,,in his middle age,he becomes an electrician,he is happy and paid well.
But is more fulfilling than staring at a screen all day, and pressing buttons. That is soul sucking, office work is.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
People act like working in a trade is the greatest job in the world. Then why do so few people want to do it then? Why doesn’t society push going into trade school rather than going into college ?
Most of today's workers....
1) have no practical skills, so can't perform to par in a task oriented career. (Fewer farm kids available)
2) can't hack it.... WORKING / on your feet for 10-16 hrs at a time
3) will not tolerate getting thier hands dirty
4) have found easier (more comfortable) ways to bring home a paycheck
5) cannot concentrate adequate to plan (in your mind) while actively assembling / performing important tasks that can kill you, or customers.
6) not willing to risk liability or the responsible
7) do not want to be measured by daily or hourly monitoring.
8) USA schools no longer educate to a level required to be successful as a skilled worker. (Try laying out the various roof truss angles on your home, (in your head), and cutting them accurately by hand.). Do they fit? While you are suspended 20 feet in the air.

Many excellent skilled workers are very competent (and educated).
They wouldn't want to be stuck inside an office for a minute.

Trade schools and college are minimal contributors to a successful skilled trade career. Most workers start in the profession as entry workers, and acquire skills OTJ. Sometimes certification requires actual school participation later in career.. (Unfortunately). (Spoken as a skilled worker, advanced degree holder, educator, employer.)

Old 04-04-2021, 10:19 AM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:

I work with many of them in a construction related field. You can be constantly kneeling, stretching, crawling, or lifting heavy equipment and materials, and it could impact you when you get older.

You are also for the most part ... working all day, putting in 8 hours or 6 without travel.

Compare that to people who in an office, might work 4 real hours in a day (if that), joke around with co-workers for 2 hours, go to lunch for an hour, surf CD for an hour.

Not that MY job is like that by any stretch of the imagination, but it is for a lot of people.

I have considered looking at a trade, but I'm getting pretty old, so doubtful that someone would hire me.

Trades are probably one of the more 'thankful' positions out there. You hire someone to mow your lawn, either they do it, or they don't. 'Hey thanks for the job well done.'

Compare that to a business director whose job it is to 'optimize workflow' who makes 10x more than a lawn-mower.

Exactly. Not easy when you're pushing 60. In fact even at 50 the physical demands start taking a toll.

The guys in the trades I know that are skilled, making a bundle, and working their own hours are in their late 30 or mid 40's. But even these guys get laid up every so often with a pulled muscle.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:22 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Where has the OP been this past decade? The trades have been pushed quite a bit in the mainstream media as an alternative. Mike Rowe anyone?

Old 04-04-2021, 10:59 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Our culture seems to look down on or outright ignore skilled blue collar work

Comments about work from home are rampant like all work can be done remotely. Most trade work can not be. Its common to read implied comments that work ends at 5pm or so, but trade work ends when the job is done in my experience

Too many are looking for a zero risk world..... a trade when one makes a mistake and gets a 110 electric shock would scare most workers off. As a result things are built to be replaced not fixed. but not in house infrastructure.

I worked in an industry looked down on my most but we had high paying trade jobs. When we had enough openings to hire a class and train them we would get over 5k applicants for 50 jobs. In recent decades those applying are college grades who can not get a job paying near as much before even considering the great benefits and career offered.

I think the trades do not have to advertise to get enough workers or students Most of those would might respond to an add probably are not up to the job

Old 04-04-2021, 11:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Its honestly no harder than working out at a gym. The situation isnt like in ancient Egypt with hordes of humans pushing giant slabs up slopes, using lumber as rollers, and hemp rope to secure everything. Physical exertion is good for you. It keeps your body strong, and reverses aging process.

But is more fulfilling than staring at a screen all day, and pressing buttons. That is soul sucking, office work is.
Going to the gym is one or two hours a day max, while working in the trades is often the majority of the day doing something other than sitting. The benefit of a college education- even if it is just an AA degree, is that you can get some business/writing classes under your belt to help with the basics of having your own business. It can also help with the basics to make you learn what you need to know for a trade. As many have pointed out, practical math is pretty essential in many of these careers. It’s also good to have some basic writing skills if you start a business so you can present estimates and other proposals of work that look professional.

It might not be much harder than working out at a gym in your 20s-40s, but once you get to your 50s and 60s, it can really take a toll.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:22 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Manual labor is not appealing to many people.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:04 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
I had a desk job for 16 years and it was awful for my health. Many days my body would ache due to lack of activity. I started that job at 27 and stopped at 43. Around age 40 I told myself I could only do desk work for a few more years.

I have a physical job and earn less but I have my health back!

Old 04-04-2021, 01:43 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:

Absolutely. Add to that no bennies, no pension, lots of overhead, and pay for your medical insurance in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education