Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2021, 03:04 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The USBL says the typical entry level educational requirement for beginning programmers is a bachelors degree......that's not a trade.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and...rogrammers.htm
I have known of hundreds of people who became programmers in industry with only high school diploma and certification or experience. The requirement for a bachelor's degree developed years later.

The same thing happened in nursing.

And one day it may require a bachelor's degree to be an electrician. So? That's just the education industry expanding its base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 03:44 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Hope you didn't insult her if she had a college degree.
No not at all I helped him take the step to go to college, I supported him through it and I couldn't be more proud of him for finishing. He really wanted to be a teacher and I'm glad I could help him realize his dream.

I'm not anti college at all. No idea where you got that idea.
Quote:
You seem intent on insulting anyone who pursued one.
Insulting anybody was never my intention.
Quote:
You wouldn't be welcome as a friend of mine randomly spouting your unfounded, incorrect, offensive opinions. My wife has a PhD and is a brilliant and successful woman. Anyone who dared insult her in such fashion in my presence would not leave in healthy condition.
it's clear you are insulted. That wasn't my intent.

Quote:
Most people are going to be inside the bell curve for whatever they do.

Well a film graduate might get into the entertainment business and hit it big as a director, editor, whatever. More of a shot than someone off the street with no education trying to be a film editor.
The isn't a lot of demand for that skill so most likely they'll both have to do something else.
Quote:
No one thinks that anyone is going to "write a 600k check." That is nonsense.
That's what people seem to be saying.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:45 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Pilot - generally no degree required.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:51 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have known of hundreds of people who became programmers in industry with only high school diploma and certification or experience. The requirement for a bachelor's degree developed years later.

The same thing happened in nursing.

And one day it may require a bachelor's degree to be an electrician. So? That's just the education industry expanding its base.

What happened in the past happened in the past. We still have a fair number of programming jobs that don't require degrees but those jobs tend to be limited, often very limited.

The same thing is happening in nursing.

My MIL was a big city ER nurse supervisor for a very long time with a high school diploma, Army nursing career and a bunch of OJT - those days are over.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Pilot - generally no degree required.
Yea. But that's a tough path. A guy I know did it all the way to co-pilot and finally captain for AA - he made McDonald's wages flying regional for years.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
1. More than the those in the trades obviously.

2. My wife is CIO over a large IT shop. Everyone except a couple of guys who work PC-Helpdesk have degrees.......degreed programmers are absolutely not trades people. That's revisionism on the part of big labor and political leftists.

3. Currently most RNs get there via BS-Nusrsing degrees.

4. Your television engineer buddy is an engineer in name only. That kind of thing is common most "software engineers", "sound engineers" etc. are not degreed and licensed engineers.

5. As noted above my son is an MD. One of his UG majors is in physics......that's as technical as it gets and his area of medicine is absurdly technical..........is he a tradesperson?

The USBL says the typical entry level educational requirement for beginning programmers is a bachelors degree......that's not a trade.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and...rogrammers.htm
1)People in trades don't make as much as PhDs?

2) Programming is a technical degree. You are going to have a difficult time explaining how a technical degree indicates that you aren't in a trade.

3)I don't know much about nursing, this I don't talk about it.

4) To snobs perhaps. He sure does get paid like one. So the difference may mean something to you but I'm not sure it means anything in reality.

5)I wouldn't consider any bachelors degree as a technical degree. Such educational paths involve having minors, various credits in unrelated studies and greater core classes.

I would consider a technical degree one that involves education in a specific technology. Like an AAS

Old 08-08-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would agree that computer programming--basic coding--should be considered a trade. It pretty much is a trade in terms of technical training and certification. Regardless of degrees that certification or commensurate experience is a requirement and continual skills updating is a requirement...but the real benefit of a bachelor's degree to coding ability is questionable.
I certainly wouldn't disparage anybody who wanted a BS in programming. I just don't think it's necessary
Quote:
Back in the 70s, the US military pounded hundreds of high school graduates through programming school. Their management were college graduates, but the people doing the coding were high school graduates with programming certification.
I would consider a trade to be a career that is more interested in skill than education.

People seem to think one replaces the other. I don't agree.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
What happened in the past happened in the past. We still have a fair number of programming jobs that don't require degrees but those jobs tend to be limited, often very limited.

The same thing is happening in nursing.

My MIL was a big city ER nurse supervisor for a very long time with a high school diploma, Army nursing career and a bunch of OJT - those days are over.
Programming jobs typically require technical degrees which is a trade thing.

I don't know where you got this idea that there is no such thing as technical degrees for trades. I actually have three of them.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Programming jobs typically require technical degrees which is a trade thing.

I don't know where you got this idea that there is no such thing as technical degrees for trades. I actually have three of them.

Sure there are technical degrees for trades. BS computer science and the like as minimum educational standards for most programming jobs as per USBL are not a technical degrees in the sense you are using the word.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
1)People in trades don't make as much as PhDs?

2) Programming is a technical degree. You are going to have a difficult time explaining how a technical degree indicates that you aren't in a trade.

3)I don't know much about nursing, this I don't talk about it.

4) To snobs perhaps. He sure does get paid like one. So the difference may mean something to you but I'm not sure it means anything in reality.

5)I wouldn't consider any bachelors degree as a technical degree. Such educational paths involve having minors, various credits in unrelated studies and greater core classes.

I would consider a technical degree one that involves education in a specific technology. Like an AAS
1. People in trades in the aggregate make less than those with BS degrees.

2. No. Computer science etc. are not technical degrees as you are using the term.

3. Fair enough.

4. Snobbery has little to do with it. A TV engineer isn't a licensed engineer.

5. No idea what you mean. Is my son a trade worker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education