Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I would like real-world examples of this supposed stigma. It's something I read about on the internet but rarely if ever heard anyone in real life put these people down, except when they think they messed up a job at their house and/or charged too much money for it.
thus you have it! (Right here!)

You usually find it in academia (those feeding at the trough) need to "put down" trades or anything else that might ruin their "life-long-feast / gorge fest".

Those who deliver the 'dirge of the trades'... are Not living in "REAL LIFE" many have never even had a J-O-B! (as in a career bringing home the bacon... not Fast Food or retail to fund their 'beer money' during their perpetual school)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 05:27 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Who cares what others think, especially total strangers or even casual acquaintances. Are we all to be perpetually trapped middle schoolers?

If you have the desire and the skills to support it, choose the route best suited for you. Be true to yourself, and you will more likely than not find what it is you’re looking for in life. It may not be apparent at first, but will bring you closer than not. Travel the road best suited for you.

And true self-confidence and self-respect are some of nature’s most potent aphrodisiac.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 AM

863 posts, read 866,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
People act like working in a trade is the greatest job in the world. Then why do so few people want to do it then? Why doesn’t society push going into trade school rather than going into college ?
Because there is big money in pushing everyone into college. Even small universities employ hundreds or thousands of people making multiple six figure salaries, construction companies make money building elaborate campuses, big banks make lots of money on student loans and of course government officials have to be paid big bucks to oversee all of this. There just isn't a financial incentive to promote trade schools as an alternative.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 AM

24,618 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
So, why aren't you a plumber instead of whatever it is you do to earn money?
He said it was a great job, he never said he had the skills for it. A computer engineer is also a great job, that doesn't mean everyone can do it.

Truck driving is also a great job. A friend of mine clears $250K on a bad year, because he owns his own trucking company. But I don't have the knack to be truck driver.

Working a trade job then creating your own small business out of it is a legit path to wealth, but that doesn't mean everyone has the skills for it.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:43 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I would like real-world examples of this supposed stigma. It's something I read about on the internet but rarely if ever heard anyone in real life put these people down, except when they think they messed up a job at their house and/or charged too much money for it.
White collar professionals are generally polite society. They are not going to verbally put down blue collar workers because doing that is crass.

However, that doesn't mean that they will necessarily want their children to pursue those paths.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:44 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Because there is big money in pushing everyone into college. Even small universities employ hundreds or thousands of people making multiple six figure salaries, construction companies make money building elaborate campuses, big banks make lots of money on student loans and of course government officials have to be paid big bucks to oversee all of this. There just isn't a financial incentive to promote trade schools as an alternative.
I am not sure why you think that universities are filled with people making six-figure salaries. Most professors don’t make that much and certainly staff does not make that much. Yes, there are some departments where they might make that much, but that is typically in departments where people in the private sector would also be making over six figures. I have had friends and family who worked at universities and the only one who made over six figures was on the medical school faculty.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Trust me when I say that if plumbers had to get a bachelors degree and then go to do 3 years of school to get a Doctorate for Plumbing, and started out at $110,000 a year, then kids would go do that instead of being say a pharmacist.

That's how it is ... people judge careers on income.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:49 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
White collar professionals are generally polite society. They are not going to verbally put down blue collar workers because doing that is crass.

However, that doesn't mean that they will necessarily want their children to pursue those paths.
And that is basically the bottom line.

Almost every post I have seen from someone looking for a house in a town asks ... "I want the best schools possible".

You think someone wants the best schooling for their kid so they can grow up to be a ... 'lowly plumber'?

Yea ... people don't come out and say it, even on an anonymous forum ... but actions speak.

But therein lies the problem with priorities in our society.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:53 AM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
So, why aren't you a plumber instead of whatever it is you do to earn money?
This is a strange question. It sounds like you're assuming, that people choose a profession based solely on its earning potential. As if aptitude, interest and other factors don't enter into it. How old are you? Have you chosen a profession or field of employment yet?

Old 04-08-2021, 09:59 AM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Because there is big money in pushing everyone into college. Even small universities employ hundreds or thousands of people making multiple six figure salaries,
You don't know much about universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education