Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 08:57 AM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
In an era where more and more kids leave for college early, take dual credits* etc. this is a step in the other direction.

*I'm guessing many VA families will opt. for dual credit options to ease the pain.

The kids particularly damaged by this are those who would have taken calc. earlier than the new rules allow. Downplaying that is your prerogative but this will pose real issues for a fair number of families.
My kids both took dual enrollment in HS. It's a solid option. Some dual enrollment courses are offered on the HS campus, some are offered online. One of my kids took most of his senior year (English, Science, Math, Computer, etc) on a college campus. He had one class on the HS campus and he commuted between the campuses - he could eat lunch with his friends at HS and engage in extracurricular activities but he also had access to the college tutoring center, as well as, the college gym. It worked out just fine for him.

I honestly don't know how we would have handled a 12 or 13 year old who had completed Calc. Probably they would have scheduled a study period in the computer room at HS to take their dual enrollment math course during school hours.

I don't downplay the logistics involved at all because there are logistics involved for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 09:34 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
That's the reality of it.
I wish we could force a behavioral economics class on all legislators before they start work.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:46 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
This is not the answer.

As I’ve written about many times on this forum, I have two children.

My oldest has an IQ in the low 130s. He also has 3 learning disabilities. When he was in one of the best districts in DFW, he had to take the same math classes as all the neurotypical kids, until he finally got the dyscalculia diagnosis and was able to be moved down to special ed in math.

I realize that this is an unpopular opinion, but many kids do not need to learn very advanced math. They need more practical math: percentages, and compound interest, and metrics and fractions, etc. All are more useful than graphing linear equations. Offer more personal finance classes, math for business classes, basic economics. Teach about paying taxes and the stock market and 401Ks and what credit card debt can do....teach what actually improves people’s lives.

Meanwhile, my daughter (who actually has a slightly lower IQ than my son) excels in math and across the board academically. She should not be held back. I’m thankful she was able to skip a grade in math when we moved recently. The challenge has been good for her. She is considering an engineering pathway.

Why do schools keep trying to mandate an equality of outcome?

Old 04-23-2021, 10:03 AM

19,796 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This is not the answer.

As I’ve written about many times on this forum, I have two children.

My oldest has an IQ in the low 130s. He also has 3 learning disabilities. When he was in one of the best districts in DFW, he had to take the same math classes as all the neurotypical kids, until he finally got the dyscalculia diagnosis and was able to be moved down to special ed in math.

I realize that this is an unpopular opinion, but many kids do not need to learn this kind of math. They need more practical math: percentages, and compound interest, and metrics and fractions, etc. All are more useful than graphing linear equations.

Meanwhile, my daughter (who actually has a slightly lower IQ than my son) excels in math and across the board academically. She should not be held back. I’m thankful she was able to skip a grade in math when we moved recently. The challenge has been good for her.

Why do schools keep trying to mandate an equality of outcome?
Your closing point was rhetorical in nature, however, you know as well as I do this is one side of the political aisle driving equity over merit, equity over talent, equity over equality in the classroom etc.

I took the liberty of showing your son's videos to a friend's daughter who is a Pratt grad. Her thing is long exposure still fashion photography, using very old equipment. I thought so too but coming from her means a lot more......she thinks your boy has an unusually good feel for composition, pace and something she called, "depth of field".......not really sure what that meant tho. Thought you'd get a kick hearing that.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I wish we could force a behavioral economics class on all legislators before they start work.
No chance of that!

Old 04-23-2021, 10:07 AM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Reminds me of a spin on that old "we want peace so bad, we'll go to war to get it!" instead, it is now "we want equality so bad, we'll lower educational standards to get it".

I hope reporters and parents will ask those supportive of this policy whether they will be sending their children and grandchildren to public education (indoctrination centers) or to private schools. Under the guise of making some not 'feel bad' about their efforts and lack of achievement let's make everyone stupider.

These types of policies are so disingenuous and serve to reinforce the elitists to maintain their control over a population. Standardize non achievement in academics so the people are too stupid to realize they are being herded and controlled.

The educational system administrative types will embrace this BS because in their warped minds they can make more $$ down the line as the education cycle gets strung out and more students need to take remedial math or additional courses in one manner or other if they want to be qualified and educated to have a decent job in particular fields requiring it.

These types of education programs should be renamed what they are intended to do: Lengthen education to make Citizens Debt Slaves or perhaps, "Grow The Education Industry - Celebrate Mediocrity in Public Education". At its most basic this continues the trend toward control of the population because ignorant people are more easily controlled.

George Carlin says it so well in this bit on Education (language warning for those easily offended):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNXHSMmaq_s

Last edited by ciceropolo; 04-23-2021 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
My kids both took dual enrollment in HS. It's a solid option. Some dual enrollment courses are offered on the HS campus, some are offered online. One of my kids took most of his senior year (English, Science, Math, Computer, etc) on a college campus. He had one class on the HS campus and he commuted between the campuses - he could eat lunch with his friends at HS and engage in extracurricular activities but he also had access to the college tutoring center, as well as, the college gym. It worked out just fine for him.

I honestly don't know how we would have handled a 12 or 13 year old who had completed Calc. Probably they would have scheduled a study period in the computer room at HS to take their dual enrollment math course during school hours.

I don't downplay the logistics involved at all because there are logistics involved for sure.
IMO it's not just logistics it's driving classmates further apart, making access to accelerated coursework harder not easier etc. and logistics not to mention in some case posing costs difficult to manage for some families.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
No chance of that!

Old 04-23-2021, 10:19 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Your closing point was rhetorical in nature, however, you know as well as I do this is one side of the political aisle driving equity over merit, equity over talent, equity over equality in the classroom etc.

I took the liberty of showing your son's videos to a friend's daughter who is a Pratt grad. Her thing is long exposure still fashion photography, using very old equipment. I thought so too but coming from her means a lot more......she thinks your boy has an unusually good feel for composition, pace and something she called, "depth of field".......not really sure what that meant tho. Thought you'd get a kick hearing that.

Aw thanks EDS. You made my day.

He just finished filming some shorts for a major tech company....

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-23-2021 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Aw thanks EDS. You made my day.

He just finished filming some shorts for a major tech company....
The young lady graduated TAG too BTW.

I have a feeling he's going to be very busy for as long as he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education