Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 03:27 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This is not the answer.

As I’ve written about many times on this forum, I have two children.

My oldest has an IQ in the low 130s. He also has 3 learning disabilities. When he was in one of the best districts in DFW, he had to take the same math classes as all the neurotypical kids, until he finally got the dyscalculia diagnosis and was able to be moved down to special ed in math.

I realize that this is an unpopular opinion, but many kids do not need to learn very advanced math. They need more practical math: percentages, and compound interest, and metrics and fractions, etc. All are more useful than graphing linear equations. Offer more personal finance classes, math for business classes, basic economics. Teach about paying taxes and the stock market and 401Ks and what credit card debt can do....teach what actually improves people’s lives.

Meanwhile, my daughter (who actually has a slightly lower IQ than my son) excels in math and across the board academically. She should not be held back. I’m thankful she was able to skip a grade in math when we moved recently. The challenge has been good for her. She is considering an engineering pathway.

Why do schools keep trying to mandate an equality of outcome?
The same reason the government enacts laws to mandate equality of outcome.

It's not happening by itself so they make laws to force it to happen, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 03:32 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-...courses-equity

If we had been Virginians this would have sent us packing as our son took calculus in 8th, daughter in 9th.

What a terrible idea.

In the name of equity.......let's punish achievers.

The Chinese are laughing at us.
The Chinese are getting what they paid for when they bought the election.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:13 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
What amazes me (well, actually that's not true) is how these threads will appear, on different "crazy" ideas, and very, very often I don't see even one person defending the subject.

Could it possibly be that there is no one who posts on City-Data who can defend such policies?

Old 04-23-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
It could be worse. You could be in Oregon. Now getting the right answers in math is racist.
https://www.citizensjournal.us/state...ite-supremacy/
And to point out what was at the bottom of the link (quote, my italics):

"Kupelian noted that Rutgers University recently determined that speaking and writing English correctly is also racist. The school’s English department is altering its grammar standards to “stand with and respond” to the Black Lives Matter movement and emphasize “social justice” and “critical grammar” over correct spelling and grammar."
[end quote]

Seriously???!!

At age 67, I am SO glad that I won't be around 50 years from now -- and I shudder to think what the U.S. will be like 25 years from now -- or even ten -- or five!

Old 04-23-2021, 04:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What amazes me (well, actually that's not true) is how these threads will appear, on different "crazy" ideas, and very, very often I don't see even one person defending the subject.

Could it possibly be that there is no one who posts on City-Data who can defend such policies?
IDK, there was a thread a year or two ago that said no one deserves a HS diploma if they can’t pass a certain level of math. Algebra 2 maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And to point out what was at the bottom of the link (quote, my italics):

"Kupelian noted that Rutgers University recently determined that speaking and writing English correctly is also racist. The school’s English department is altering its grammar standards to “stand with and respond” to the Black Lives Matter movement and emphasize “social justice” and “critical grammar” over correct spelling and grammar."
[end quote]

Seriously???!!

[/i]
I’ve also written about how I was an English professor. For a year or two I taught basic grammar at a community college outside of Marietta. I will always remember a young black woman I taught there, when the grammar clicked for her. She understood it for the first time. Her writing and speaking improved greatly and she was so proud of herself because she sounded educated and intelligent. I still have the thank you card she gave me.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I’ve also written about how I was an English professor. For a year or two I taught basic grammar at a community college outside of Marietta. I will always remember a young black woman I taught there, when the grammar clicked for her. She understood it for the first time. Her writing and speaking improved greatly and she was so proud of herself because she sounded educated and intelligent. I still have the thank you card she gave me.
Oh, now THAT is a something to cherish forever!

Old 04-23-2021, 04:53 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Part of the change is driven by the fact the SOL's in VA are going to change in 2023. The way we teach math is flawed; for most students its useless to teach every student the same thing no matter what they see their career path is. This changes that failure and career clusters will enable students to focus on what is relevant to their careers. Someone not going to college, but entering a trade needs a different focus than someone who is going to university. Someone who wants to study business in college will need a focus different than someone who wants to be a physicist. These changes address that.

Really, does someone in HS really need fractal geometry if they want to be an accountant? On the other hand, if someone wants to be a meteorologist, they do. This plan lets them have more relevant courses. The student on an accountant trajectory most likely would benefit from advanced arithmetic than calculus.

Last edited by webster; 04-23-2021 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-23-2021, 04:58 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Part of the change is driven by the fact the SOL's in VA are going to change in 2023. The way we teach math is flawed; for most students its useless to teach every student the same thing no matter what they see their career path is. This changes that failure and career clusters will enable students to focus on what is relevant to their careers. Someone not going to college, but entering a trade needs a different focus than someone who is going to university. Someone who wants to study business in college will need a focus different than someone who wants to be a physicist. These changes address that.
Schools used to be like that though. Then they changed so that every student was on a college path.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:19 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Our skoolz got a bad case of the stoopids. The USA is doomed.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:44 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post

Really, does someone in HS really need fractal geometry if they want to be an accountant? On the other hand, if someone wants to be a meteorologist, they do. This plan lets them have more relevant courses. The student on an accountant trajectory most likely would benefit from advanced arithmetic than calculus.
I have little to no issue with any of that. The problem is advanced math options will be severely limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education