Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 07:58 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
So, what did your children do after Calc A/B?
Mine, doodle a lot, day dreamed and took naps. Calc A/B was the highest math offered at his public HS.
My daughter took AP B/C Calculus as a HS junior because she was on an accelerated math track starting in 6th grade. When it came time to sign up for senior year math, she asked her B/C Calc teacher what she should take. His question to her was “Are you going to major in math or engineering?”. Since her answer was NO, he suggested she take AP Statistics to get college credit instead of taking Calc 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 08:53 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Since her answer was NO, he suggested she take AP Statistics to get college credit instead of taking Calc 3.
Same advice was given to my children.

When I lived in Westchester, NY (which has some of the best school nationally), I still sent my kids to private schools.

Now, I live in Virginia and my kids are adults. I would double down on private schools or homeschooling now - the lack of math is the least of it. The critical race theory and other liberal ideologies are far worse.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:31 AM

1,579 posts, read 949,094 times
This sounds to me almost like what my daughter faced the past few years, only expanded to all students. I am glad she's graduating next year and we are getting out of Virginia. It looks like now they aren't just going to pick on individual families, but everyone all at once by holding everyone back.

My daughter has always been good in math and loves it (it's her favorite subject). But starting in 6th grade, when they would have put her on an accelerated math track, they told her (us) no, that she wasn't eligible. Not because of test scores or anything like that (she had the scores to get on the track), but because she had a IEP... for a speech impediment. It didn't matter that the IEP wasn't a learning disability in the classic sense, she just had a lisp. Nope, IEP was IEP and IEP kids couldn't be in accelerated math.

That started us down a long path of having to fight to get my daughter in any kind of challenging math class. It didn't matter that this kid always got As in math, they keep trying to hold her back by not allowing her to take the harder classes. And there was always a new excuse every year why she couldn't get on a more challenging route.

It was not easy forcing her way into Algebra in 8th grade (she got an A by the way). But I never could help her break into the honors track in high school and I am mad at myself for that one. If she'd been in the honors track, she would be in AP Calc AB this year instead of an easy pre-calc class (where she has a 98/A average and it takes her half the time to finish the work). The teacher in that class is also the AP math teacher and realized that the regular class is too easy for my daughter and recommended her for her AP Calc AB next year. Hurray!

Anyway, my point is the schools in Virginia don't seem to like kids to challenge themselves and I don't know why. It takes getting the right teacher and/or fighting tooth and nail and getting lucky to get your child into a class that's more of a challenge. Can't say I will miss it when we leave this state. I feel bad for the kids and parents stuck with this watered down version of math.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 04-24-2021 at 10:31 AM..

Old 04-24-2021, 09:50 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This really just expands inequity between rich and poor. Better off families will hire tutors if they are not in private school. Horrible policy.
Excellent point SkyDog. It's counterproductive. My kids went to public schools but if they were in K-12 now, I would have them in private schools. Not everyone has that option - especially low income families.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:08 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My daughter took AP B/C Calculus as a HS junior because she was on an accelerated math track starting in 6th grade. When it came time to sign up for senior year math, she asked her B/C Calc teacher what she should take. His question to her was “Are you going to major in math or engineering?”. Since her answer was NO, he suggested she take AP Statistics to get college credit instead of taking Calc 3.
what did she become, career wise? ( assuming she wanted a wage/business career, trying to be PC)

Old 04-24-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
This really just expands inequity between rich and poor. Better off families will hire tutors if they are not in private school. Horrible policy.
I have no idea, what I would do, In our retirement location of Redmond, the public school appear to be pretty good, a highly educated population, a rich tax base, expanding tax base, and few children. More dogs than kids.
Wife would send any grandchildren to private school.
I would probably do the tutor route. Stressing philosophy - critical thinking. Luckily, DS school system started an IB program. He spent far more time writing than in math and sciences.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:02 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
This is absurd to the point where it almost seems someone, or some group, is intentionally trying to sabotage our future.

Who put this woman in that position? She needs to be fired immediately.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
[not picking on you, but this statement is a good philosophical point]

And yet, if the status quo doesn't change, wouldn't the public educational system further encourage opportunity stratification? Can the system make everyone happy? Most, some, or none? Does private school -tutoring increase disparities? Which is better: Homogeneous mix or a insoluble mix with different densities?

Pay the person the big bucks to make the decision. His neck is also premeasured for the chopping block. Leadership is everything. Pray for it.

Last edited by leastprime; 04-24-2021 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-24-2021, 12:03 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
This is absurd to the point where it almost seems someone, or some group, is intentionally trying to sabotage our future.

Who put this woman in that position? She needs to be fired immediately.
It's not one school district and one woman.

It's coming from NCTM which guides national math curriculum changes.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:07 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
[not picking on you, but this statement is a good philosophical point]

And yet, if the status quo doesn't change, wouldn't the public educational system further encourage opportunity stratification? Can the system make everyone happy? Most, some, or none? Does private school -tutoring increase disparities? Which is better: Homogeneous mix or a insoluble mix with different densities?

Pay the person the big bucks to make the decision. His neck is also premeasured for the chopping block. Leadership is everything. Pray for it.
At one point in time it did. I remember tracking for math/reading. There were 3 classes and one had 2 teachers. We were always envious of that class because they had 2 teachers.

Years later I understood. Those were tracked classes based on placement tests and the class with the 2 teachers were the struggling kids.

Today all 3 skill levels are in one class and they have to teach to the lowest denominator.
It was a lose/lose proposition right from the start all in the name of social engineering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education