Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 04:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times

Advertisements

FLORIDA is WONDERLAND silly people doing silly things. Anyone silly enough to live there is on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 08:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
State attorney declines to prosecute

The Florida school principal caught on video paddling a 6-year-old girl did not break any laws, the Florida State Attorney found after conducting a review of the Clewiston incident. No charges will be filed, CBS 12 reports. Central Elementary School staffers say the girl purposely damaged school computer equipment.

https://www.newser.com/story/305938/...ed-girl-6.html
Seems like a good decision. We got paddled for much less. We need to live in reality. Kids need to learn and sometimes that takes an attitude adjustment in for the form of muscle. Just real life, not the fake one.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:55 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Seems like a good decision. We got paddled for much less. We need to live in reality. Kids need to learn and sometimes that takes an attitude adjustment in for the form of muscle. Just real life, not the fake one.
Then why not paddle adults?

Old 05-10-2021, 10:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 1,598,645 times
Anyone who hits a child with a paddle needs mental help. They use a paddle and not their hand because they can't be accused of 'touching' their bottom. And a child paddled needs mental counseling afterwards.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:25 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
I really hate the hypocrisy of adults telling children not to hit other kids, then hitting them themselves when they disobey.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
As long as not hit hard enough to cause an injury then should be fine.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:44 AM

10,451 posts, read 4,034,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I feel as though we are missing a fair amount of context in this situation. The principal must have felt that she had the mother's approval to spank the child like that. But, apparently, the mom was too intimidated to speak up and object.

I will be honest, that the video of the spanking makes me feel very, very uncomfortable. 2 trusted adults at the school, one holds the child's hands down while the other one admonishes the girl and spanks her with a board as the speechless mother just stands there and watches.

That's a pretty terrifying scenario for a 6 year old kid.
Not to mention this is opening up a whole can of worms down the road when a child is being abused in other ways and might be afraid to say anything knowing that the very law that is there to protect them will look the other way simply because the person is a teacher or principle.

Need to stay the course, nobody is to touch someone else's child unless it's to save them. End of story.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:02 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Oh boy, here come the "I was paddled and I turned out OK" people. I gasped when I saw the video. Who does that to a little kid?

What are the kids learning? That the strongest person makes and enforces the rules? That an adult can use physical force to get you to comply?

Adults are older, smarter, have more experience than kids, and control almost every part of their lives. But the only way you can think of to "discipline" them is to hit them with a paddle?

Old 05-11-2021, 08:11 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then why not paddle adults?
They cane adults in Singapore. The American who caused an uproar after being sentenced to "six of the best" in 1994 was 18 at the time of the crime and almost 19 when the sentence (reduced to 4 strokes) was carried out.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:16 AM

69 posts, read 47,959 times
Im sorry, but if that was my daughter I would have broken the paddle over the principal's head! It's one thing to correct a child, but physical abuse is no way a deterrent, and to berate her afterwards all while doing all this in front of her mother? C'mon?! This is trauma and abuse. Anyone who says that this is warranted behavior needs to have their heads checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education